Thread: 52RI modern wiring

52RI modern wiring

Well it's time to change my 52 RI over to the modern wiring. The slip of paper that came with the guitar is no the best drawing to go by. Do any of you have either a photo of the modern wiring done on your guitar or a drawing? I took a couple of photos and a drawing of how my tele is now in case I have to go back. I just want to make sure I do it correct the first time.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member
    Use this -- http://www.seymourduncan.com/website.../std_tele.html .

You'll notice that this uses the 250K volume pot that is already in your guitar (not the extra 1Meg pot that is supposed to come with the wiring upgrade kit). It also does not use the little treble bypass cap. This diagram uses a .022uF tone cap, instead of the .047uF tone cap in there, now. Use whatever you like.

Personally, I much prefer a 250K volume pot without the treble bypass cap, but others have different tastes.

That is exactly what I was looking for!!!! The paper from Fender was not too clear.

many thanks.

brianf

One more thing Jim.

What type or gauge of wire should I use for those little pieces that link some of the contacts together.

Thanks.

brianf

Forum Member
    It really doesn't matter what gauge you use, as long as it isn't too big to fit where it should go. The jumper wires on the switch that connect two lugs on one side with two lugs on the other are frequently just single strand bare wire (like a grounding wire). This is usually a single length of wire, threaded through the proper lugs, and soldered at each lug.

To connect the pots to the switch, you ought to have plenty of slack wire in the existing wiring to do what you need.

Originally posted by Jim Collins
    It really doesn't matter what gauge you use, as long as it isn't too big to fit where it should go. The jumper wires on the switch that connect two lugs on one side with two lugs on the other are frequently just single strand bare wire (like a grounding wire). This is usually a single length of wire, threaded through the proper lugs, and soldered at each lug.

To connect the pots to the switch, you ought to have plenty of slack wire in the existing wiring to do what you need.
    :yay

brianf