Thread: Lock-It Guitar Straps

Lock-It Guitar Straps

I just bought one of these, and figured I'd offer a review.

I was perusing the most recent thread regarding strap locks, and I came across a post by KyKaH recommending Lock-It Guitar Straps as an alternative to metal strap locks. I was in the market for a locking strap for my acoustic (the end pin is also the jack for the pickup and can't be replaced by a strap lock), and this was the best-looking option I'd seen yet.

I am incredibly glad I bought this strap. It's a regular 2-inch polypropylene/nylon guitar strap with leather ends. But the leather ends have two layers of leather sewn together. In between the leather is a spring-loaded plastic mechanism that locks around the pin.

How well does it work? Well, I tugged on the strap to try to pull it off the end pin, but it wouldn't give. I tried it out on my Strat (which currently has Schaller straplock buttons) and could pick the guitar up vertically (headstock pointing up) by the strap, and it held. It seems pretty sturdy. I would trust this thing as much as I would a Schaller lock -- not completely, but enough to feel safe holding my guitar at odd angles.

Workmanship seems solid. The leather ends are nice and thick, and there's a seam sewn up the center beneath the button hole, right where the most pressure will be brought to bear by the weight of the guitar; this will probably help keep the leather from tearing.

Most impressive is that it looks and feels almost exactly like any other regular strap out there. The plastic locking mechanism is flexible, which allows it to bend with the leather part of the strap; if the leather ends weren't slightly elongated in comparison to most straps, you'd probably never even notice it, and there's no way you'd be able to tell without seeing it up close.

This is by far the best locking strap design I've ever seen. It's sturdy, effective, and attractive. I will be buying several more of these straps and I highly recommend them to anyone who is looking for an alternative to metal strap locks.

Re: Lock-It Guitar Straps

All of my electrics already are equipped with strap locks, as are all of my straps. However, none of my acoustics have straplocks, and I'm in need of a new strap for them. I have 5 acoustics, and the cost of one strap would certainly offset the costs of 5 sets of straplocks (coupled with the need to also alter the guitars to accomidate them).

Thanks for the review.
    POO DAT!!!

Re: Lock-It Guitar Straps

Thanks for the review. That's a damn clever design. I wish I had thought of it...
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett