Thread: Pedals To Get A Decent Gilmour/Floyd Sound

Pedals To Get A Decent Gilmour/Floyd Sound

Hi all.

Just looking for suggestions from you all what pedals you would suggest to achieve a useful Floyd sound. I have been to various websites that give overly detailed setups. I am looking for a simple and affordable alternative. What delays/distortion/modulation pedals would you recommend? Looking to spend in the $400 range. Thanks.

And yes, I know it is all in the players hands and I will never get the exact sound!!!

Re: Pedals To Get A Decent Gilmour/Floyd Sound

A strat, a decent distiortion pedal, a univibe or phaser, and a delay pedal will get you most of the way there.

Outside of some rarely used oddball pedals like the Synthi Hi-Fli, that's pretty much all David used from Saucerful up to Animals.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

I get a pretty decent Gilmour sound with a Build-Your-Own-Clone Tube Screamer overdrive clone, a Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe, and the delay in my M-Audio Black Box.

I think a Uni Vibe or Micro Vibe will get you closer to the Floyd sound than just any phaser. The Micro Vibe is a pretty nifty pedal; as far as I know, at around $150 it's the least expensive Uni Vibe copy that actually uses the same technology as a real Uni Vibe (an incandescent lamp and photo sensors). I got mine used on eBay for less than $100. It's also made in the U.S. -- which is not vitally important to me, but it's always nice to be able to buy U.S.-made without breaking the bank.

Go to the Voodoo Lab site and check out the audio samples of the Micro Vibe. Especially the first one, "70s Warm Glow," which is the classic Gilmour sound.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

What Kap'n said.

I'd go with a TS9, a Dunlop RotoVibe, and a delay pedal. Then, if I had some extra ducats left over, I'd get a DynaComp to go with those. Then I'd get look around for a pair of used pedals: a used Big Muff Pi to couple with an inexpensive 7-band Graphic EQ pedal. Put these two in a loop, and switch them out totally when you don't need them. This will gve you the classic Gilmour sound, and, when you need it, that super-saturated "Learning to Fly" era sound.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I do alright with my rig - any of a number of guitars (preferably Fender-esque for the PF thing) TS9reish - Bixonic Expandora - rat - Danelectro chorus - MRX phase 90 - E-H DLX memory man - Fender Blues DLX reish and boogie Rocket 44 (stereo amp split from the MM) Kinda wish I had a univibe or equivalent, but I have no complaints.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Vibe - Fulltone Deja Vibe 2

Distortion - Fulltone Full Drive 2

Delay - Boss RV3 (Reverb/Delay)

Gets me there too......

The big sound he gets comes from some wild amp set ups but this definitely gets me close - was a little better when I had a Marshall with a 412 cabinet but through a Super or a Deluxe and a microphone, the crowd hears what most consider to be a dead ringer on songs like Money, Comfortably Numb, The Wall Pt II and Us and Them
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Those Fulltone pedals are great but at his budget of $400 he could only get about 2 of them. If he's going for bang for the buck, the Boss and Ibanez pedals will do him just fine.

Plus, Gilmour used the compact pedals a lot - when he wasn't using the Pete Cornish stuff, that is...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Forum Member

Which Skreddy does a Uni Vibe sound?
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

None do the univibe. The request was for all aspects and he has several coverd with the Top Fuel and Lunar Module (or if you can locate ont he Pink Flesh). Vibe can be had from VoodDoo Labs and others like Mojo Hand.

http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=Luna
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Mojo Hand has a vibe?

Brad's come out with some pretty cool stuff from known builders on his private label.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Those Fulltone pedals are great but at his budget of $400 he could only get about 2 of them. If he's going for bang for the buck, the Boss and Ibanez pedals will do him just fine.

Plus, Gilmour used the compact pedals a lot - when he wasn't using the Pete Cornish stuff, that is...
    Yes, true. I have seen some of the Fulltone go for decent prices on ebay but.....with the budget, Boss pedeals do it also. My delay is a Boss and there are cool drive and vibe pedals out there - used market is definitely woth a look. Some deals to be had on ebay these days.

There is a cool Gilmour equipment page.....
    http://www.gilmourish.com/
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House