Thread: LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI

LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI

I bought one of these for my piezo amplified acoustics, driving them through my Fender CVR stack. They needed a FET in-between to make a full, balanced output, and the little brown box does that as well as being a great EQ/TONE SHAPER/EFFECTS LOOP/GAIN/INVERT controller.

I thought it worked great. Then I started to experiment with my Strat Plus, my Byrdland, and my Gretsch 6120...and they sounded great.

I'm not much of a pedal/effects guy, more just reverb and tremelo, but it makes you wonder about tone control. I set my Treble at "2", and my Bass just a hair under "2", which by various other resources is giving me as flat an output as possible on the CVR. I set the guitar tone pots to full wide open high treble. The LR Baggs does the rest.

I guess other stomp boxes do similar things, but adding the FET input impedance and finely controlling output impedance makes a great full sound on my electrics....

Re: LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI

Haven'tr tried mine with my electric yet. Sounds interesting.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Give it a go, and let me know what you think...

The other thing I notice, and that I like, is the treble is more full, too. The "ice pick" or "shrill" that sometimes can be part of the overall tone is rolled off, it's more "dense and solid"...has to be an impedance thing.

Maybe those aren't the best words to describe what it is I'm hearing...
    Last edited by twangmeisternyc; 09-19-2008 at 06:16 AM.

Did some messing with it last night, into my Deluxified Princeton Reverb.

Strat. Ugh. Made the trebles all nasty and harsh.

Rickenbacker. Sweet. Brings out that chime and high end. In fact my entire acoustic pedalboard works well with the Rick. Throw on a little Micro-Pog, and I was playing REM stuff for hours. I was Peter and Mike.

I may just bring Ricky out to some of my acoustic shows.
    orange picks

I like the effect through the LR Baggs box the best with my Byrdland.

In my set-up, just the CVR with the 2-10 alnico's probably sounds best with the Strat Plus with the Lace sensors. Especially, pickup selections 2 and 4. It's that early 60's to 70's Bakersfield thing I'm going for most of the time. I still like it through the Baggs, though, when I go more jazzy or instrumental. Maybe the Lace sensors are responding different. I know I don't like them through my Jensen C15N enclosure...makes them sound like you describe...real thin.

My 6120 has the '58 style electronics...and I still have a hard time with the roll off switch vs a tone pot. Wide open, the pickups sound wonderful. I think the Baggs set-up adds to the rocking bar bridge dynamics...very nice symbalance effect.
    Last edited by twangmeisternyc; 09-22-2008 at 07:58 AM.

The mud switches sound better with a more traditional BFish style amp. JMHO, but I'd put the -fb loop in that amp.
    orange picks

The -fb loop will be my next logical CVR mod when I get to it...next project though is to build the 50W solid state amp kit I have in the wings.

Have had all the parts now for a couple months, delayed due to family matters and needing to make the trip down to my in-laws home/workshop.