Thread: Necks!

Necks!

As some of you know, I now own half a Strat (well, 2/3 - body and hardware) and I am now searching for a suitable neck. I don't have a lot of experience with Strats, so I would like get some feedback.

My hand seems to fit the American Standard neck quite well. Fender calls this a "modern C." I played a geniune 50s Strat a long time ago and it had a V that fit my hand perfectly. The neck on the 57 RI is called simply a "V" which is probably the same thing, but the radius is only 7.25" Some C's are way too big for my hand and the "modified soft V" (on the Eric Johnson model) is also slightly too big. However, since it has the radius I want, I may get one and have the neck profile modified.

My ideal neck would be:
    - Fender, American made (but I wonder if I may have to take the Warmoth route)
    - smallish (V or C, I guess, although my memory says V is better for me)
    - the flattest radius possible (12" would be perfect, but I can live with 9.5" if I absolutely have to, although I will whine).
    - maple or rosewood although I tend toward the latter on days beginning with T or W
    - nitro finish

The guitar stores in my city are pretty good but they don't have everything, so any comments you guys have on neck models will definitely be helpful. I may have to get one from ebay or craigslist without actually trying it first so the more info I have, the better.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Forum Member

Re: Necks!

try a 62 reissue neck, or maybe a highway 1 neck.

Forum Member

If the intent is to use a Fender neck sourced from a current production model (say from a chop shop or other means), your options are pretty limited. Not an expert on current Fenders but the only necks with 12" radii might be the EJ or the SRV - usually big bucks if stripped from the guitar and sold seperately.

Get an aftermarket neck from USACG, Musikraft, Warmoth, etc, etc with the neck profile you want. Most can finish the neck for additional cost though not all can shoot nitro. Another option is get the same neck with a lotta wood and sand it down yourself until the back contour is to your liking, then send it out to be finished.

Measure a neck you like so you can either compare specs with a Fender neck candidate or tell a vendor how you want your neck made.

Most of my Fenders are either bought neckless or built. I tried CS long ago and wasn't successful communicating to the CS the neck profile I wanted. So now most of the neck work is done myself. Good luck in your project.

Quote Originally Posted by carbonti View Post
    Not an expert on current Fenders but the only necks with 12" radii might be the EJ or the SRV
    Not so. The Deluxe Players necks are thin 'C' profile with a 12" radius.

Those are MIM...and very nice. Equal in quality to just about any US made neck I have tried. Here's mine:

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Hey Doc,
    You really are trying hard for the right neck!! It sounds like you want something similar to the EJ neck without the bulkiness. I've never tried one but was thinking about a clapton strat because it had the soft V neck. The only thing is that it has a 9.5" radius. One thing I might point out to you to think about on the EJ neck is that it is cut from quarter-sawn maple which makes the neck stronger and more rigid. The angle of the headstock was also designed to elimnate the use of a stringtree on the first two strings which is supposed to increase the sustain. I think this has adds to the guitars sound alot. Probably why the EJ strat sounds so good acoustically.Good Luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Not so. The Deluxe Players necks are thin 'C' profile with a 12" radius.

Those are MIM...and very nice. Equal in quality to just about any US made neck I have tried. Here's mine:
    Nice that a MIM neck has flame like yours does. And MIM necks can usually be bought from e-bay sources - looks like the solution!

CAR is a great finish too. Looking good.

Try ebay - the Stratosphere is a shop there and sometimes has good stuff. Their buy it now stuff is a bit pricey sometimes but the auctions are fair and you can get a deal with patience....

They had some of the Vintage Hot Rod Strat necks which fit what you want and a few others......
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Here are a few comments.

Both Vintage RI's, 57 and 62, are 7.25" radius - just too round for me. The Highway One is definitely a contender. However, I may just have to go south of the border twice (I am in Canada) and go for the Deluxe Player neck as NTBlues has suggested. It doesn't have all the features I want - not made in the US, not nitro - but they seem to sell for not too much money on ebay.

I think that down the road, I will probably go the custom neck route (Warmoth et al) but in the meantime, I need to play a little more before ordering a custom neck for lots of money. I need some more first hand Strat experience.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Vintage Hot Rod is Nitro and 9.5" and a Thick C neck - Vintage Player Poly and 12" - really flat for a Fender IMHO

Check this out.... (Mods - only a link to a store not a product - I think this is within the rules????)

Lots of "Stuff" to be had here.....

Look at the end of the necks area and that is where the auctions are.....some Classic Players there starting at $ 0,99

http://stores.ebay.com/The-STRATosphere
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House