Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Clapton Strat Tone

Re: Which Clapton Strat Tone

Any of you have an EC signature? A buddy of mine has a mid-90s EC signature, says it's the best Fender he's ever played.

Forum Member

It's the most versatile guitar I own. Mines an 04' with the VN pickups, and although it can't get exactly to the point on certain strat tones, it easily makes up in others.

I have a 89 Blackie and a 04 CS Blackie...

+ + +

hard for me to pick out one particular Clapton Strat-tone... I like them almost all, be it Brownie, Blackie or the Signatures...

...however there is one thing standing out of all... DOUBLE TROUBLE on the JUST ONE NIGHT thing with the good ole original BLACKIE...

PIT...

Forum Member

i have Fender Noiseless, the TBX and Midboost
    preamp and pots, in other words all the electronics
    of the "new" EC strat on my 60th aniversary strat
    its wonderful

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Any of you have an EC signature? A buddy of mine has a mid-90s EC signature, says it's the best Fender he's ever played.

I have a '06 Custom Shop EC. Best freekin' Strat I have ever played and /or owned.

not knowing much about clapton after he left the cream, I would have to say something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKVZsSDy1c

I find it unforunate that he plays fender amps Sorry guys, but the fender amp sound just isnt for me, I gotta have one of those newfangled marshalls like all the other kids. That being said, he very well could be playing a fender amp in that clip, but thats fine too.

I think eric probably avoided strats into marshalls because while he wanted to be jimi once upon a time, he never wanted to BE jimi. And Im glad he stuck to being himself all these years.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?

i've been out of touch when it comes to my Clapton research... But does he not use cornell amps? The shop is based in southend, and they make a Clapton sig.
    Off the top of my head, my fave tone is from a 1999 album called "Eric Clapton blues (disc 2 Live)". Has some great playing from earlier sort of days and a nice dirty-ish position 2 tone
    "I'm not mad, i just like to keep myself company"

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfuze View Post
    Lethal weapon sound tracks..just blends so well with Dave Sanborn
    +1.

Also, maybe there's something wrong with me, but I've always had a soft spot for August.

Quote Originally Posted by Los7 View Post
    i've been out of touch when it comes to my Clapton research... But does he not use cornell amps? The shop is based in southend, and they make a Clapton sig.
    Off the top of my head, my fave tone is from a 1999 album called "Eric Clapton blues (disc 2 Live)". Has some great playing from earlier sort of days and a nice dirty-ish position 2 tone
    yeah he indeed had used Cornell amps... but went back to Fender 57 Twins Re-Issues which Fender made for him... and as far as I know he still uses them...

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    +1.

Also, maybe there's something wrong with me, but I've always had a soft spot for August.

no there's nothing wrong with you... yeah... AUGUST is very fine album ... I once liked it instantly when it came out 86...

PIT...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I just recently got a 1995 EC Strat in absolutly mint condition other than it came with an older regular case.... I love the Gold Lace Sensor's and the TBX boost really gives it a Gibson like growl if used right.

I am mostly an acoustic player, but love the way the EC Strat feels and plays!!! Amazing guitar that sounds killer just running through my Peavey Delta Blues with the 15" speaker.

Love that color. I used to use graph tech saddles too--back in the day when I broke strings over bad saddles.

Forum Member

I have a Delta Blues also. The EC and that amp get along VERY well.

Forum Member

When did he start relying on the straight-into-a-cranked-tweed-Twin set-up?
    Before the Cream reunion, he did a live record called "One More Car, One More Rider" that had some blisteringly good tone. His versions of My Father's Eyes and River of Tears just sing.
    Ever since, he's been broadcasting a beautiful racket.

I'm really itching for him to release a live album/DVD from his recent tour with Derek Trucks. On the last Crossroads DVD, my favorite track was on the "bonus" disc that came with some versions (I think mine was for getting it at Best Buy or something). EC and Derek do a duet on "Why Does Love Got to be So Bad" that just kills me. But it's mixed all wrong!

My alltime favorite EC Strat sound is on that Dylan 30th anniversary concert where he plays with GE Smith's backup band. They do "Don't Think Twice" and EC just rips it apart with his bare hands.

Forum Member

Pretty hard to disagree with this piece o' Sleepy Time, from the Cream reunion show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG3WaL8Fq74

Here's a better sounding Sleepy Time clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNMB0hpdQc

This is my favorite Clapton sound, as I mentioned earlier, followed closely by the 335 sounds in the From the Cradle album. I loves me some Tweed!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    This is my favorite Clapton sound, as I mentioned earlier, followed closely by the 335 sounds in the From the Cradle album. I loves me some Tweed!
    You can't argue with tone like that. It's got top end, but it's warm as well. Jack Bruce (who sometimes overplays imho) is really tasteful on this song.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Here's a better sounding Sleepy Time clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNMB0hpdQc

I wonder what would have happened if they'd come out sounding like that in '66??
    I've had two clapton strats and I really dug the necks on them. Great guitars except for the boost thing. I didn't really care for that, I much prefer the Demeter boost Tyler uses.

24 nights!!!!!

^^ 24 Nights is probably my favourite Clapton album. One of the best versions of "have you ever loved a woman" and the version of "Old Love" is unbelievable. There are 2 versions of the album. I have the DVD and the CD. Some songs are different from each version. He is definetely on fire with his playing and tone on this album.
    "I'm not mad, i just like to keep myself company"

I like a lot of his stuff. the work he did with JJ Cale, BB King, Layla, and most of the other of it. What I apprecaite is that he is able to sound different depending on his mood/desire. I would hate to think I have to have a certain sound to work with only. But, as soneone else said - who am I?
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

"What I apprecaite is that he is able to sound different depending on his mood/desire."

...and he's 60+ and still interested enough in music to try out different sounds and different kinds of songs. I'd like to see him pick up a Les Paul again, but man does he make a Strat sing.

Forum Member

I love the TBX and Midboost, i pretty much
    have the electronics of the newer Clapton
    signature, Fender Noiseless with the electronics
    you can get from a real cutting treble to a
    full humbucking overdrive with it

kind of tricky to instal and looks like the inside
    of a computer, but sounds great

Not sure exactely when this was, but just the intro to this made me a strat lover. That's just about all I play anymore. I think he had a Soldano SLO-100 at this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYS732zyYfU

Derrick and the Dominos stuff
    Cream Reunion stuff
    461 Ocean Boulevard stuff
    Ridin' with the King stuff

Quote Originally Posted by confused597 View Post
    Not sure exactely when this was, but just the intro to this made me a strat lover. That's just about all I play anymore. I think he had a Soldano SLO-100 at this time.

Looks like its from the Soldano days. He's got a great clean-ish tone in that intro.

Quote Originally Posted by confused597 View Post

that was 1985 during the Behind The Sun tour... The last year when the good ole original Blackie was taken out on the road... The amps I am not shure, but most probably, yes, Soldano...

PIT...

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I like his clean tone the best, 'cause that's when you can hear what HE really sounds like, but that's just me. Pick ANY clean tune played with feeling, 'Bell Bottom Blues' whatever; even though he is famous for 'borrowing,' he does have a certain style and tone that is his own. He has a LOT to say, more than most, and his way of saying it involves a quite bit of bending... :-)

I like his sound from the 70's best. It is a more open less compressed sound and just sounds like a Strat ought to for me.

Forum Member

Eric's playing on the Beano lp is my favorite. That Les Paul burst with a 45 watt Marshall influenced many players.

But I would also recommend the guitar solo to White Room from the 2005 RAH reunion DVD. That is one solo where is on fire! (Fender Signature Strat + Fender Tweeds)

Also, the Crossroads solo from Cream live back in 1968. (ES-355 + Marshalls)