Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric Johnson Strat: good buy?

Re: Eric Johnson Strat: good buy?

Hmm I remember reading that EJ and the custom shop worked very hard on the pickups.... went threw 10 or 11 different sets to get it "right" for EJ. Someone round here prolly has more info. Good luck today..who knows...maybe tomorrow YOU will be posting EJ Pics!!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

The pickups are three special design Custom Shop Eric Johnson models, which consist of a ’54 style model with oversized Alnico 3 magnets in the neck position, a ’63 style model with Alnico 3 magnets in the middle position (which is reverse-wound for hum cancellation in the two and four positions on the five-way pickup selector switch), and an Alnico 5 model in the bridge position which is slightly over-wound to provide hotter output without sacrificing top end response.

I bought mine a few months ago, and I can't put the thing down. Being a LP player primarily for the last 35 years or so, I've been wanting an EJ since I first read about them, mainly because of the 12" radius board. I've played many of them over the past few years, but this past June I picked one up that I couldn't pass on. I really like the 2nd tone connected to the bridge pup, and unlike any other Strat I've owned or played, all 5 positions are extremely usable. Killer guitars!!!
    Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    Well - and I say this with slight embarrassment - the rosewood board model is probably for nerds like me who, after hearing how great the EJ model is, think we can improve it a little. I have almost no experience playing on a maple neck but after trying out lots of guitars recently, I am getting a little more used to one. I may not wait for the rosewood board model for that reason, and also because I can get the maple EJ used at a pretty decent price right now.

A question: I can't find any specs on the EJ pickups. The Fender site simply says "special design." Does anyone know the output or have any technical details? I am just curious.

I am going to try out two different EJ's after work today. I will report back tomorrow!
    Doc W, please don't get me wrong, my first Stratocaster was with a Rosewood board, and I still have one now - I was a very late convert to owning a Maple board. I just found it interesting that the very specific Eric Johnson, who (as I understand) has used mainly his two favorite '54 and '57 Maple board Stratocasters his entire recording career, would all of a sudden offer a "new" signature model with a Rosewood board. I doubt this would have happened had the Maple board signature model bombed. Even though the background is weird, I'm pumped about the Rosewood board model, too, although I don't know if I'll be able to handle it if it only comes with a bound neck.

Good luck on getting an EJ that does it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage 80 View Post
    . . . I bought mine a few months ago . . . .

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

R/W BOUND NECK?!?!?

Be still my beating heart!!! I may hafta take a look at one of those......a very close look.

That's an off-the-rack guitar I could definitely git into -- tres kewl!

TFF Stage Crew

Eric has owned & played a couple RW Strats. LPB & Dakota Red '65s, if I recall. This was WAY before the sig Strat.

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post
    Eric has owned & played a couple RW Strats. LPB & Dakota Red '65s, if I recall.
    I wouldn't be surprised that he has quite a collection. I just understood that he always brought his best stuff to record - and with Strats, that was always his '54 and '57.

The madness has to stop. Or what's next, a EJ signature with a Pao Ferro fretboard and paint IN the trem cavity?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestar View Post
    Or what's next, a EJ signature with a Pao Ferro fretboard and paint IN the trem cavity?!
    Actually I think it's a model with:
    • rubber bands to hold on the pickguard
    • a mid-boost that only accepts Duracells
    • built in chorus and compression
    • a wet nap holder for compulsive handwashing
    • a jack that only accepts one end of a cable
    • a knob numbered 1-7 that sounds best on 1 for Sunday, 2 for Monday, etc. It's not connected to anything
    • a bandaid covering the hole where it's soul was removed
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    • a knob numbered 1-7 that sounds best on 1 for Sunday, 2 for Monday, etc. It's not connected to anything
    You forgot that the neck will not only be bound, it will be gagged. The guitar will be painted Octopus Orange and it will be relic'ed by removing all of this paint (and some of the wood) with 24 grit on an industrial belt sander, operated only by virgins. This will enhance nothing but will increase the price by 8K.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

I haven't taken any yet , but I'll take a few tonight and get them up.

Looking at these two Eric Johnson models, the original and the new one about to come out. You can tell Eric Johnson not only tried to make a guitar he liked playing but just put alot of thought into what makes it sound good itself. I've looked at other signature models Fender has put out and they don't really offer that. They have what Eric Johnson called bells and whistles that may add something but take away something else at the sametime. The guitar itself plays great before you even get into talking about the tone, the rosewood and new pick-ups will just give a different flavour of an already good playing peice of wood. Watching his interview he even made sure the wiring was good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Good one! But I have heard that he really is a really nice guy, not fakey, otherwise he'd probably be easy to make fun of for all the reasons you point out.

I have no doubt he could be a nice guy.

He just seems a little obsessive.

And (IMHO, of course) for all of his obsession, sounds like he's playing a strat with EMGs through an 80's rackmount rig.
    orange picks

A couple quick ones (a little peekaboo flame on the headstock, but it's hard to photograph with a flash):

These are awesone guitars!

Sweet!
    orange picks

Thanks guys!

I went to the music stores as planned last night and played two EJ's, one sunburst, one white. Both sounded fabulous. I am not good at describing sounds but I really liked those pickups. I especially liked the neck pup - big and woody with lots of nice highs - and the bridge pup was a surprise, much warmer and less ... abrasive than most Strats. Keep in mind that I am not a Strat veteran, having played a really good for only a short time (before selling, like a moron), and having played a really bad one for a few years before selling that hunk of junk.

I loved the neck radius, as I figured I would ....BUT, I can't play it. The neck is too big. I fought with it the whole time. I went to the other store and played the white one, HOPING that the neck might be a little different, but it was the same. I really really wanted to like this guitar because of the sound, but alas, it just DON'T FIT my hand.

On the bright side, I played an Yngwie Malmsteen with a MIM replacement neck. I don't care about YM one way or the other but the guitar sounded just fabulous. There are, however, a few caveats I would like to run by you guys.

The neck was installed in a hurry and it was either misaligned or there is something wrong with it. The high E string was far too close to the edge of the board (rosewood). The action was nice and low, the way I like it, but it seriously fretted out above the 12th fret. Now I know that this is always a tradeoff, but this was more than the usual amount of fretting out. I am wondering if it is just the neck or perhaps a more serious problem.

Another thing. The guy said it was in Daphne Blue, but I looked on the Fender site and that model doesn't come in that colour. It comes in Sonic Blue, but this looked a lot darker to me. So, is this a real Fender body with a real Fender paint job (and thus higher resale value) or just a butch job on a partscaster?

I await the comments of the Wise Ones!
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefreefuzz1 View Post
    Hmm I remember reading that EJ and the custom shop worked very hard on the pickups.... went threw 10 or 11 different sets to get it "right" for EJ. Someone round here prolly has more info. Good luck today..who knows...maybe tomorrow YOU will be posting EJ Pics!!
    notwithstanding....lol....how do you compare that many sets of pups when there are so many variables?

were there 10 strats lined up w/ 10 diff pups?...but that has all diff woods/etc....

how would you do a controlled experiment like that?

BTW, 10-15.......sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
    Imanidiot.

I went to the music stores as planned last night and played two EJ's, one sunburst, one white. Both sounded fabulous. I am not good at describing sounds but I really liked those pickups. I especially liked the neck pup - big and woody with lots of nice highs - and the bridge pup was a surprise, much warmer and less ... abrasive than most Strats. Keep in mind that I am not a Strat veteran, having played a really good for only a short time (before selling, like a moron), and having played a really bad one for a few years before selling that hunk of junk.

I loved the neck radius, as I figured I would ....BUT, I can't play it. The neck is too big. I fought with it the whole time. I went to the other store and played the white one, HOPING that the neck might be a little different, but it was the same. I really really wanted to like this guitar because of the sound, but alas, it just DON'T FIT my hand.

On the bright side, I played an Yngwie Malmsteen with a MIM replacement neck. I don't care about YM one way or the other but the guitar sounded just fabulous. There are, however, a few caveats I would like to run by you guys.

The neck was installed in a hurry and it was either misaligned or there is something wrong with it. The high E string was far too close to the edge of the board (rosewood). The action was nice and low, the way I like it, but it seriously fretted out above the 12th fret. Now I know that this is always a tradeoff, but this was more than the usual amount of fretting out. I am wondering if it is just the neck or perhaps a more serious problem.

Another thing. The guy said it was in Daphne Blue, but I looked on the Fender site and that model doesn't come in that colour. It comes in Sonic Blue, but this looked a lot darker to me. So, is this a real Fender body with a real Fender paint job (and thus higher resale value) or just a butch job on a partscaster?

I await the comments of the Wise Ones!
    If I felt suspicious about a guitar there's no way I'd buy it. I'd always think about that if it bothered me in my first impression of a guitar. As for the neck on the EJ, sorry to hear it didn't work for you. But like I originally said that's why I wanted it because other shaped necks felt too small in my hand and the v-neck seems to give me more ease without cramping up. I can't get a bad sound from this guitar and I've been playing it for several days and hours now and have yet to come across anything that bothers me while playing it. Maybe just all the fingerprints my sweaty hands put all over it.

I went to the music stores as planned last night and played two EJ's . . . BUT, I can't play it. The neck is too big . . . I played an Yngwie Malmsteen . . . but . . . is this a real Fender body with a real Fender paint job (and thus higher resale value) or just a butch job on a partscaster? . . .
    First, sorry that the EJ didn't work out for you - with all the choices Fender offers (and there's even more if you build your own, or mod what you have/get) you are bound to be able to find a platform that fits.

No way I'm a wise one, but because of the ease of assembly and repairability inherent in Leo Fender's design and construction of the Stratocaster, it has always been open to mods, changes, etc., that range from difficult to near impossible to detect - so I agree with the others that if something doesn't seem right, walk away.

When you buy the guitar it comes with a spec sheet on the pups Each one is designed for a different year

I have it at home and will have to dig it out Next week I'll post

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    When you buy the guitar it comes with a spec sheet on the pups Each one is designed for a different year

I have it at home and will have to dig it out Next week I'll post
    I posted the pup info above (#42).

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage 80 View Post
    I posted the pup info above (#42).
    And, FWIW, since my '05 came with the same information, these specs have not changed since the first year of production, 2005.

Thanks for clearing that up

Forum Member

I just bought this EJ, and is on the UPS truck will be here monday
    The grain on the neck is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by coldsteal2 View Post
    I just bought this EJ, and is on the UPS truck will be here monday
    The grain on the neck is beautiful
    Congrats on the score, hope it is as good for you as it looks in those pics.

I absolutely love those necks! The secret to the whole guitar I think. I still haven't put mine down since I started this thread. Holding on to it right now. If you look back to my original photos it looks pretty well brand new. Now it's strting to get some nice pick scratches on it. Should be worn through the laquer in a year. Enjoy!!

Forum Member

Thanks, i cant wait for it to get here

Yea i plan on giving mine a good work out, and love when the laquer starts to wear down
    My poor 60th aniversary im sorry to say will get pretty lonely in the future haha

Quarter-sawn maple are among the most stable of necks.

Formerly joe mama

Yes 1/4 sawn also has a lot of sharpness in the tone, It gives the guitar a fast, percussive response. Sometimes so fast, it seems there's not as much lows.

Coldsteal2 looks like your GOOD TA GO

Forum Member

Ill be watching the UPS truck with baited breath!!

Forum Member

Got it tonight been playing my fingers off
    the EJ is a work of art, looks like it just took a trip on a time
    machine from 57

NOTHIN' looks as purdy as quarter-sawn maple.

Rawk On!!!

Forum Member

Good photos. Its hard to get that 1/4 sawn grain to show.
    How was the factory setup?

Love the EJ, nice headstock grain, if i didn't own 3 strats i'd get one, but the truth is none of them get played enough. but every EJ i have tried felt great.

peace

Great Shot. I remember when they first came out, first one that I played was a white blonde one and I was Impressed.I normally tinker with my guitars but If I had one of those there would be leetle tinkering!
    Enjoy your new guitar my friend!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

I'm getting tired of my EJ strat
    .NOT BEING PLAYED ENOUGH!

LOL!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009