Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric Johnson Strat: good buy?

Eric Johnson Strat: good buy?

Hey all,
    I was thinking of putting a v-neck on my 07 strat because it feels more comfortable to my large hands and then I realized I after a year of the two-point bridge system bothering me I hate it. So I decided to go to the music shop and test some strats. I played a brand new white Eric Johnson strat and really felt comfortable with this thing. It really is a beautiful guitar in it's simplicity. I hummed and hawed over it for an hour of trying to decide if I want to trade up or not. Then a couple hangers down was a virtually new looking used one in sunburst for a few hundred $$ less. I played it for a half hour, decided it needed heavier strings and it would be perfect. Gave it to the store clerk and put on hold. Just wondering what peoples thoughts on these guitars?

heres the specs for those who don't know:

Model Name Eric Johnson Stratocaster®
    Model Number 011-7702-(Color #)
    Series Artist Series
    Colors (801) White Blonde,
    (803) 2-Color Sunburst,
    (806) Black,
    (809) Candy Apple Red,
    (Thin Nitrocellulose Lacquer)
    Body 2-Piece, Deep Contoured, ‘57 Style Lightweight Alder Body
    Neck 1-Piece Quartersawn Maple, Soft “V” Shape,
    (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
    Fingerboard Maple, 12” Radius (305mm)
    No. of Frets 21 Highly Polished Medium Jumbo Frets
    Pickups 3 Special Design Eric Johnson Pickups with Countersunk Mounting Screws (Neck/Middle/Bridge)
    Controls Master Volume,
    Tone 1. (Neck Pickup),
    Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
    Pickup Switching 5-Position Blade:
    Position 1. Bridge Pickup
    Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup
    Position 3. Middle Pickup
    Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup
    Position 5. Neck Pickup
    Bridge American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo
    Machine Heads Fender/Gotoh® Staggered Vintage Style Tuning Machines
    Hardware Nickel/Chrome
    Pickguard 1-Ply Parchment, (8 Hole)
    Scale Length 25.5” (648 mm)
    Width at Nut 1.650” (42 mm)

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Re: Eric Johnson Strat: good buy?

All that matters is that YOU like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    All that matters is that YOU like it.
    +1 You seem quite smitten with it so I say buy it....

I have heard almost nothing but good things about this guitar. I am dying to play one myself, but there are none in town right now. One local shop is getting one within a few weeks. Most importantly, the reports I hear are NOT about how pretty it is but how GOOD it sounds and how it plays so beautifully.

On the other hand, I have also heard that the pickups are quite low output, which some people like and some people don't. When I DO get a chance to try one on, I want to hear it compared to other Strats. Some guitars and amps sound fabulous in the store, but not anywhere else. I am not saying that this is the case with the EJ, but it is worth considering. Once again, keep in mind that I have never played the damn thing. I am only passing along what I have heard from others.

I should add that everyone I talk to who has played one thinks it is the best deal from Fender right now - Custom Shop quality for a much lower price.

Please keep us posted.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Comfort is #1 for me. Personally I can't tell you much of anything about Eric Johnson being honest, so it's has nothing to do with being a fan of his. I like this guitar and how it plays. I guess all I'm wondering is it worth the money in quality. I don't want to buy it and pay for Eric Johnson's customized neck plate. Kind of like buying a grey t-shirt and then buying a grey t-shirt that says nike on it for double the price.
    Last edited by 10-15-14; 08-28-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

IIRC, they hold their value well. Do a completed sales search on Ebay and you'll see what they are going for (in this depressed market we currently have).

Great time to buy iffin ya ask me the basic every day necessities are still rising.

I'm biased because I am the original owner of an '05 and love it - so notwithstanding that, to answer your question, I'd say yes, it is a good buy for those type of appointments in that type of a package. To be fair, though, the EJ has generated some criticisms, but it may be that you are not getting many such posts because it's clear you have run across a guitar you like, and nobody wants to rain on your parade.

BTW, did you plug it in to an amp? The middle PU is wired such that it bypasses any Tone control and, IMO, has a really excellent sound.

I've played two of these at different times acoustically and both were great sounding and great playing guitars. I would presume they must be pretty good electically or if not could be modified to be great. Seems like a great guitar and value to me. If you connect with it I would not hesitate to indulge.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

The neck radius is a skosh too flat for my comfort zone but as Gris mentioned "All that matters is that YOU like it."

I say go fer it.

Phantom, the neck radius is one of the reasons I am dying to try it, which just goes to prove that we all have different playing styles and tastes. I don't know how you guys can play those rounded necks!

If it feels good bro, Buy it. I have encountered Many a "EJ" strat in the last few years, they all played just how I liked, I'd go fer it!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    Phantom, the neck radius is one of the reasons I am dying to try it, which just goes to prove that we all have different playing styles and tastes. I don't know how you guys can play those rounded necks!
    My first "good" guitar was a '66 Strat which I bought in '68. So I sorta grew up with the 7Ľ radius necks. When I came back to the Strat a couple years ago (due to health issues, an' after playin' LPs exclusively for about three decades) I found I still preferred the rounder fretboard. I do have a coupla 9.5" necks in the herd an' I like 'em as well but they don't feel as comfortable or familiar to me.

I have the sunburst and like it very much. It plays great and has custom shop quality to it

The thin nitro finish is a bit fragile so be careful

DONE DEAL!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

That Eric guy made me a nice guitar!! This thing is perfect. The v-neck and 12" radius suits my big hands pefectly, I've never had so much ease on a fretboard. The tone is absolutly incredible, a definite huge step up from my MIA, acoustically it sounds better and really rings out. The pick-ups sound so clear precise and the volume and tone pots work better than any guitar I've ever owned. For a used guitar it is in damn near brand new condition, not a scratch or scuff on it other than on the pickguard that still has the plastic film on. They even gave me a perfect condition Fender/ G&G blonde tolex and leather hard case with plush lining from another EJ strat and all the goodies, new leather strap, ashtray bridge cover. manuals, hex keys and hangtags. I'd swear I was looking at a brand new guitar. The wife is going to be jealous!! Very glad I traded in that MIA, it was nicer sounding than the MIM I had for years but didn't play as well. They must of been half asleep when that one went through Quality control, the volume and tone pots were funky to use and when the light hit the olympic white poly finish a certain way you could see a faint indentation of a line from the top horn to the bottom of the body where the arm contour is that looked to be where two peices of wood were glued together to make the one peice body. The strings always sounded a little dead and bending strings would move the tremelo even with five springs installed. I had tried Flush mounting the two point bridge but that screwed everything else up, intonation, string height, neck tilt etc. I think I made a good decision and thanks for the tips!!

PURDIEST THANG I SEEN ALL WEEK!

Forum Member

That's used?! Damn!

Congrats. Great score.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

How much does yur Johnson wiegh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Totally bored View Post
    How much does yur Johnson wiegh ?
    Looks to be 4lbs.6oz. erect. Might need a new scale.

Nice Score Dude! Enjoy it and Let the Good times Role!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 10-15-14 View Post
    DONE DEAL!!

Forum Member

what happened to the phtots?

Quote Originally Posted by hippiebob01 View Post
    what happened to the phtots?
    Check Post #15 - when I last looked they were there and still up. Big 'uns, too.

Forum Member

looks good.i like a 71/4 radius myself but otherwise it seems the specs are close to my 57 reissue...have fun with it!

Forum Member

Sweet! Enjoy!

NICE was just playing my 08 blond kokopeli tonite,my bandmates and I agree those pick ups have a very unique sound.I love mine and all the features just make it that much cooler plus you can bend strings to the point of breaking with no deading.Some folks dont care for the neck tint I LOVE IT and awesome wood grain.What really is neat is no back cover and screw holes no string tree shallow drilled trem block nasty hum(so what) I will quit raving great guitar dude Gary

I'm thinking I should take the plastic off the pickgaurd. It's still bright white in new condition and as you might tell in the pictures the pick-up cover and knobs have already started to age. Theres a lift of the plastic film at the top of the pickguard as you might see in the pictures and I would hate that little spot to get that aged tinge to it and look like a coffee stain or something on the pickguard.

I just have to laugh when I see a X year old strat with the pickguard plastic (and silly US flag sticker) intact.

Must be a newfound appreciation out there for Minnie Pearl?

Yeah, take the plastic off, IMO.

Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Forum Member

I'd take the plastic off, yeah. That stuff's meant to be there to protect the pickguard in shipping and defend it from grubby fingers in the guitar shop, but it's supposed to go in the garbage when you get the guitar home.

I remember my first "real" guitar, a brand-new 1982 Gibson Les Paul Custom I worked all summer to buy (this was back when a high school kid could buy an LP Custom with the proceeds from one summer's work at Pizza Hut). I was disappointed to find the control cover on the back of the guitar had a long, deep scratch in it -- until I realized the scratch was just in the thin film of plastic covering it. Ever since then, I've taken great pleasure in peeling the protective plastic off of guitars, cameras, cell phones, etc.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hudpucker View Post
    Must be a newfound appreciation out there for Minnie Pearl?

From now on, I'll think of any guitar that still has its plastic film and/or stickers as a "Minnie Pearl."

Elicross,I still havnt taken the plastic off mine and flag The plastic has come off the case latches by its self.I agree with the Minnie theroy plus the longer its on there the harded it may be to come off.........Gary

Is there protective plastic coating on the pickguard on Relics? If so, is the coating relic'ed too?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Just put new strings on this guitar....oooooooooo the sustain.Sorry to gush, but yup, I like this one. The only thing I might consider changing is down the road I might swap out the bridge pick-up to something a little hotter. I read Fender and Eric Johnson are cominhg out with a new model with the same neck measurements only in Rosewood and different colour bodies, 3 ply mint green pickguard and hotter pick-ups. Could be interesting.

That's a looker fer sure..Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-15-14 View Post
    I read Fender and Eric Johnson are cominhg out with a new model with the same neck measurements only in Rosewood and different colour bodies, 3 ply mint green pickguard and hotter pick-ups. Could be interesting.
    Where did you read this? I have been on a StratQuest for several months now and I am on the verge of laying down the dough for an EJ, but .... if there are a few more options coming soon, especially a rosewood board, I might hold off.

Where did you read this? I have been on a StratQuest for several months now and I am on the verge of laying down the dough for an EJ, but .... if there are a few more options coming soon, especially a rosewood board, I might hold off.
    Watch this video about 2 min. in. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/docum...0-%20Electrics

Thanks a lot! Very exciting news.

He says they are planning to "improve" the bridge pickup. Can anyone here comment on the current EJ bridge pickup?

Thanks a lot! Very exciting news.

He says they are planning to "improve" the bridge pickup. Can anyone here comment on the current EJ bridge pickup?
    IIRC, Eric Johnson worked directly with Fender for an extensive period of time getting all aspects of the guitar, including the PUs, tweaked to his specifications, and when the production model came out he was satisfied. IMO, the bridge PU in my stock '05 is just plain excellent, so I have no idea what they could "improve." I never heard of Eric Johnson referring to any Rosewood board Stratocaster until after the original model's success - since I don't think he or anyone connected with him has confirmed he's even used a Rosewood board Stratocaster on any recording, it could be as simple as Fender and him coming out with something different to follow the original and keep sales going. So, I'll guess that "improve" means a higher output bridge PU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestar View Post
    IIRC, Eric Johnson worked directly with Fender for an extensive period of time getting all aspects of the guitar, including the PUs, tweaked to his specifications, and when the production model came out he was satisfied. IMO, the bridge PU in my stock '05 is just plain excellent, so I have no idea what they could "improve." I never heard of Eric Johnson referring to any Rosewood board Stratocaster until after the original model's success - since I don't think he or anyone connected with him has confirmed he's even used a Rosewood board Stratocaster on any recording, it could be as simple as Fender and him coming out with something different to follow the original and keep sales going. So, I'll guess that "improve" means a higher output bridge PU.
    After I watched that Video I checked out some of Eric Johnson other videos on there and he has some pretty cool things to say about his signature strats and how he tried to re-create what Leo Fender originally designed. It's no wonder this strat sounds good, he really seems to focus on his sound more than his playing. Check out the other videos. I like how he explains why there's no tremelo cover on his strats...it just sounds better with out it, he doesn't know why.http://www.musiciansfriend.com/docum...nature%20Strat
    the effects one is cool too.http://www.musiciansfriend.com/docum...%20-%20Effects

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestar View Post
    ... I never heard of Eric Johnson referring to any Rosewood board Stratocaster until after the original model's success - since I don't think he or anyone connected with him has confirmed he's even used a Rosewood board Stratocaster on any recording, it could be as simple as Fender and him coming out with something different to follow the original and keep sales going. ...
    Well - and I say this with slight embarrassment - the rosewood board model is probably for nerds like me who, after hearing how great the EJ model is, think we can improve it a little. I have almost no experience playing on a maple neck but after trying out lots of guitars recently, I am getting a little more used to one. I may not wait for the rosewood board model for that reason, and also because I can get the maple EJ used at a pretty decent price right now.

A question: I can't find any specs on the EJ pickups. The Fender site simply says "special design." Does anyone know the output or have any technical details? I am just curious.

I am going to try out two different EJ's after work today. I will report back tomorrow!