Thread: Same pedal, new sounds (FD2)

TFF Stage Crew

Same pedal, new sounds (FD2)

I've been a happy and dedicated Fulltone Fulldrive 2 user for over a year now. The sound I get for home and studio work into my Blues Deluxe is really thrilling to me.

But, the last couple gigs we've played, I've just been feeling like I've been getting too much compression (I always have the comp-cut on the FD off-- i.e., compression on) between the FD2 and the humbucker in my Texas Special Fat Strat (in which I'd replaced the Pearly Gates with a Duncan JB).

Just for kicks last night I tried gigging with the comp-cut pulled up, i.e., no compression. Wow!

While I didn't really care for that sound at low volumes, at gig volumes it totally screams. I love finding an even cooler sound in a piece of gear I already own.

Just thought I'd share. Anyone else have preferences on the comp-cut on this pedal?

Forum Member
    I prefer it down. It suits my playing a little better. I look at the pedal as a tone change not a volume boost.

I'm with the previous poster. That's how I regard my FD2. The volume level stays the same as my clean playing. That's what's so cool about the thing, in my opinion. You get this very controllable, yet wild sound. Neat. More drive doesn't necessarily mean more volume.

There are times when I wish the compression were adjustable. Rather than just on or off it'd be nice to have some flexibility there.

But hey, it's an outstanding pedal as it is. I play gigs with a FD2, a wah and that's it. What more do I really need?

Living in the body that is now called "grito"
    I love the FD2 for overdriven Fender tones. I find that I use comp-cut quite a bit when I have my VR pushed. Without the comp-cut, the sound gets over compressed, although this tone smokes at lower volumes. I bought the custom shop edition FD2 with the comp-cut/ FM/ Vintage switch instead of the push/ pull pot. Piece of mind for gigging when you can easily hit the pot and stun the drummer. The new version FD2 has this switch I believe.

TFF Stage Crew
    Ace, I completely agree with you. I really love the comp-cut off sound--very creamy at low volumes, but it was just too compressed at gig volumes, particularly with the JB humbucker in my Strat.

It was like, humbucker compression into FD2 compression into tube-amp compression. A bit much. The louder I turned up, the more the same my volume stayed. :p

Get a Dunlop DC Brick to power your pedals and run the FD2 at 18 volts,
    Less compression and way more natural sounding, much more amp like.

I will never run my FD2 at 9 volts again.

The Dunlop DC Brick is very cool 3-18volt power supplys and 7-9volt and all the cable you need to hook up all kinds of pedals.

Just make sure you find a newer black version, the orange ones were really messed up and noisy. The new ones are great.

FD2 & 18 Volts Smokin':nelson :nelson :nelson

Living in the body that is now called "grito"
    Hell yes!! I just made up an 18 volt cord to run off of my Voodoo Labs Pedal Power. Great tone!

Forum Member
    I like it up, not down. More responsive,. more dynamics. Makes you work harder on technique, it's also great for fingerpicking.

You mean the comp-cut? I have to agree, but you do lose a lot of the gain the pedal offers. I use pretty much all the setting on my FD2, since it is so responsive to the volume of your amp.
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City