Thread: Speaker Ohmage and Output

Forum Member

Speaker Ohmage and Output

Hello,

I've been using a Fender Concert 2x12 cabinet circa 1969 loaded with the 2 Oxfords as an extension cabinet for my once Super Reverb and most recently my HotRod deVille 4x10.

The Oxfords have blown up (paper just finally rotted away ) and I re-loaded the cab with a pair of 50watt, 8 ohm Vintage Weber speakers.

Now... the wiring is parallel so my load is rated at 4 ohms. This is now a useable primary cab for my DeVille which is rated at 60 watts.

I want to use this cab with my 100 watt Marshall at 4 ohms. Will I blown the hell out of it again?

Thanks.

Re: Speaker Ohmage and Output

Well, it takes all of 10 minutes and $2.50 to put a switch in the cab to change them from parallel to series. Why not just do that?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I think your amp has more headroom than those two Webers would be comfortable with. Now if'n you had four of 'em......

HTH

Forum Member

"Ohmage" isnt a word. You mean Speaker "resistance".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    "Ohmage" isnt a word. You mean Speaker "resistance".
    Creative license my friend... creative license.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Well, it takes all of 10 minutes and $2.50 to put a switch in the cab to change them from parallel to series. Why not just do that?
    So I would be switching from 16 to 4 ohm depending on which amp I wanted to use?
    I just thought since the DeVille will run a 4 ohm load (as long as it's connected to the extension jack output) and the Vintage Modern Marshall will also run a 4 ohm load with an internal connector mod, I might as well just have the cabinet wired in parallel to stay at 4 ohms.
    I always thought series wiring was much less desirable??? Can you elaborate?
    Who is the manufacturer of this switch and where do I get one?
    Thank You!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I think your amp has more headroom than those two Webers would be comfortable with. Now if'n you had four of 'em...... HTH
    Thank for that answer. Me thinks that would happen if I cranked 'er. As it is, I don't wind out on the master over 4. This is about the same volume as the level of my DeVille. If I'm wrong and blow 'em... I'll let yaz all know.