Thread: Some pics of my Robert Cray Strat

Some pics of my Robert Cray Strat

Just took a few pictures. As soon as these strings wear out I'll take pics of the insides.

The pickups in these RC Strats are awesome easily the best Fender pickups I have ever heard. Plays nice sustains longer than the tremelo models I have owned.

The neck is nice and fat 7/8" at first fret.

http://www.marcondo.com/marcondo/RC/index.html

I know you mentioned the shop you got this from is real picky...man, they scored ya a real georgeous seniorita... :nelson Ole! Makes me want a sunburst too. Enjoy.
    Last edited by butnut; 06-07-2003 at 04:36 PM.
    Hopeless modaholic...

yeah baby!

nice finish! looks like that is going to be allot of fun as well. The MIM quality is serious. Everybody has a little pride working - hey!

Forum Member
    Hey Marcondo, great score! I'm working a deal on one myself! I played the one I want last night and I'm dying to get this thing. I think it sounds and plays better than my beloved G&L Legacy.

Thanks guys I'll take better pictures outside later.

The 2-4 positions on this RC Strat nails the Knopfler tone.

These pickups rule I'm not changing a thing and thats ultra rare for me!
    Last edited by Marcondo; 06-07-2003 at 09:33 PM.

Forum Member
    I've always been violently opposed to buying a Mexican strat, maybe it's the snob in me...but I played one Friday right next to a new Custom Shop Custom Classic strat and I think the Cray sounded better and the workmanship was very, very similar.

That fingerboard looks GREAT! Looks like you scored a winner.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member
    Congrats
    I bought the violet Robert Cray last month and I love it. The pickups sound great and the guitar plays great with that fat neck. I do love the sunburst and almost like it more than my violet Cray.

Ya these Crays are a great deal $529 for the solid color ones $569 for Sunburst.

They have CTS pots and all the same switches and jacks as the USA models. The Cray model also has fiber bobbin pickups designed at the Custom Shop. Most of the other MIM models have plastic bobbin pickups that dont sound too good these pickups in the Cray sound as good as Fralins or other expensive aftermarket pickups. They sound better than any stock Fender pickups I have ever heard owned or played.

Excellent buy!!

Congrats on the guitar Marcondo!!

What gauge strings will be using on that bad boy?

I've been using the Eric Johnson GHS sets a lot recently and am really diggin' the depth their giving me....not a full .12 guage and not a full .10 guage...right in between.

I wonder how they'd sound on a Hardtail.

:)

Right now 46-10 but will probably make up a hybrid set something like 50-38-24-16.5-11.5-9.5

This one is begging for some string bending on this big neck havent really played guitar in about 15 months so need to start out with a little thinner strings till I build my callouses back up.

Playing bass didnt really build up a callous pad like on guitar so gotta start all over like a newbie player.

I just noticed its made in Mexico. I'm sure the one I saw at a local shop was USA built.. Do they make both?

brianf

Yes there is a Custom Shop model and an MIM model mine is the MIM.

Thanks for the info.

brianf

Forum Member
    The Custom shop Cray has gold hardware and is 3 times the price of the MIM Cray. I understand the pickups are the same. Can anyone confirm this?

The pickups arent the same. These are brand new pickups designed by the Custom Shop to Crays specs and made in the mexico plant. The Custom Shop Cray does have gold hardware and costs around $1900-2200 compared to the $530-550 MIM Crays.

My guess is if Robert Cray was playing a CS one or an MIM model we wouldnt be able to hear the difference.

Forum Member
    A while back I was told that some of the MIM Strats had laminated bodies. I can't remember if it was the sunbursts or the solid colors that were done that way. I don't mean they were made out of plywood. They had or have a thin laminate applied over the top and back. I believe this was similar to what was done to the American Std. Strats for a number of years. The idea was to prevent the finish from sinking. Has anyone else heard of this?

They used to laminate Alder over poplar back before 1998. But all these newest ones are solid Alder no laminate or veneer.

The Jimmie Vaughan Sunburst models had birch laminated over poplar but I understand they stopped that and since 2002 all those are solid Alder too.

In fact all the MIM models are now solid Alder even the $350 MIM STD series.

Forum Member
    Your are correct sir. I called a friend of mine at Fender whom I hadn't spoken to in a long time.(kinda forgot about him actually)
    He comfirmed what you said. The RC model seems like a hell of a deal for the money. I'm looking to replace a Gibson LP Special I use for slide with a Strat. Since the RC Strat is non trem and it has a big neck, it could be the answer. It use .012 to .052 tuned to open E for slide. Do you think it would handle the big strings and higher tuning?

Yes it can handle the big strings easy the neck is giant.

Never even thought about it as a slide guitar it would be a killer for that too!

The body is routed like the old original Strats s-s-s not the humbucker sized neck pup route like the other MIM models have.

Forum Member
    The RC sounds like it will work. I'm going to check the local shops (San Diego) and see if I can find one. Where did you get yours?

Music One Workshop in Montana. I like this shop cause they will select a guitar to your weight specs I asked for under 7 lbs and got 6.8 lbs also asked for a big neck and got the biggest necked one he has had shipped so far and he sent back 2 other guitars before I got mine for improper neck pocket fits.

You might try Guitar Trader in San Diego they sell the Crays.
    Last edited by Marcondo; 06-13-2003 at 01:17 PM.

Re: Some pics of my Robert Cray Strat

Originally posted by Marcondo
    Just took a few pictures.
    Nice! I see why ya like my MiJ Strat.

I've never played a Cray Strat, but I've always been interested in them because they're hard tails.

TD

This is my 1st hardtail model and I thought it wouldnt have that "Strat" sound because it doesnt have the springs that add to that springy bouncy tone. But I was dead wrong it has that sound in spades and also sustains way more than the tremelo models I've had. Got it 1 week ago and still havent had to touch the tuning keys.

Does any one know why the Fender wed site only has the Custom Shop version. Is the MIM version so new that they haven't added it to the web site?

Yes thats why its still too new. Look in the section that says new at the Winter Namm show and you will find the Cray specs there.

Its all the way at the bottom of the page.

Forum Member
    I went to Guitar Trader yesterday. They don't have any in stock. They're not expecting one for about a month. So I'll have to wait a bit.

shoo get one right away if you like

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...base_id/103164
    It will be there before you know it...of course you will not be able to cull it out of a crowd - but the sunburst is a good looking unit - at least the one's I have seen, and it appears that Marcando sort of likes his...

Forum Member
    Looks like a real POS Mark. hee , hee.

Hey Fuzzy old pal glad to see ya here.

This is a farily new place just about to celebrate its 1st year.

Have fun and I'll see ya around on all kinds of places on the net glad you found this secret place!