Thread: Your thoughts/info on this one?

Forum Member

Your thoughts/info on this one?

I'm in the market for a new electric, so naturally I want a Strat. I was wondering what you guy's would be able to tell me about this baby. What exactly was the 'Craft Collection'? This looks like a good deal. I know it's a Japanese Strat, but from what I understand they are much better quality than the Mexican one's. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

That particular MIJ Strat is not one of the GOOD ones.

The good MIJ's have the same logo as a 50's Strat and DO NOT say made in japan on the headstock. Those MIJ's sell all day long for $250.

If you want a nice MIJ look for whats called the Collectable model its a copy of the Vintage models and has the Vintage tuners and specs.

My friend bought one just like was in your link but an 86 model for $150 with hardshell case they wont stay in tune the tremelo block is only 1/4" wide a real crappy guitar.

Forum Member
    Hey, thanks Marcondo!

Isaak here is the model you want they came in a 62ri style like this one and a 57ri style with all maple neck too.

They are excellent guitars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=38082

Just remember if it says made in japan on the headstock stay away if it says made in japan at the base of the neck and has the old time logo and vintage tuners those are the GOOD ones.

Forum Member
    Hi. I guess the definition of good varies. In the Fender Japan catalogs that I have, the Craft Collection strats, now called J-Craft, are mostly basswood bodies and low end guitars. in the 1997 catalog they have some that are ash but the are the nylon string acoustic electrics.
    for strats...
    Fender Japan make...Vintage Premiun, US pups alder body. Craft Premium... alder, US pups. Vintage, basswood US pups. J-Craft, ash for the SPL line, basswood for the standard line. The signature series is another thing. As is the tele line.
    One more thing, in the 1997, `98, and `99 catalogs the CC strats are listed as medium scale, though Elderly surely would have mentioned this if the one they have is medium... so that leaves another option... in the `99 catalog the lowest end strat is a CC, suggested price is 43000 yen. Sounds like a lot maybe, but it is the cheapest strat they make... and that means parts as well. Confused yet? I am.
    Now,I`m not saying basswood is bad... I own a couple of high end Yamahas made of it with maple caps and they are real nice. BUT... the low end FJ stuff is something I stay away from as many are made in China. Love their food, wouldn`t buy a guitar from there yet.
    As for the Made in Japan sticker. I own 1982 and 1983 FJ strats, neither of which have the sticker on the headstock both say MIJ on the base of the neck... the new models say Crafted in Japan, and have cheap electronics. The 2 older ones I own have much better pots and switches. Maybe in those days they use better quality electronics. My `82 has MIJ pups but the 83 has US. Both are very cool guitars. The `82 was made in August of that year, cool considering Fender Japan came into being only a few months earlier. The `83 is a great guitar. Alder body, US pups, good electronics SSS routing in the body... it`s a `62 ri.
    Not sure if I would generalize and say stay away from the MIJ`s with the sticker on the headstock. First, that means an older model, so depending on the guitar it could be a good model.
    I would contact Elderly and try to get as much info as I could before pulling the trigger.
    I`ll keep an eye on this thread, if you need more info, I`ll be happy to help if I can.

Forum Member
    Hi. Just looked at the Elderly again. If thats a P on the base of the neck, it should be a 1993-94 guitar. I have a guitar with the same Gotoh tuners and they are nice. It is awfully clean for a 9-10 year old guitar don`t ya think? Looks good. I don`t have any catalogs for those years so the info I provided may not apply to a guitar of those years... FJ changes woods, parts, names etc. occasionally. I have seen colors in shops here that aren`t listed in catalogs. I have an all walnut tele that I can`t find any info on. It has the serial number on the back of the headstock.
    So I duess I haven`t helped you out much have I?
    I will say this.... I own many MIJ guitars, most of which are not Fenders... I`m very happy with them. Bit of a crap shoot buying on line though. BUT I do it all the time here in Japan and have been unsatisfied a couple of times and returned the guitars. But most, the vast majority I have kept.

TFF Stage Crew
    Originally posted by Marcondo
    Isaak here is the model you want they came in a 62ri style like this one and a 57ri style with all maple neck too.

They are excellent guitars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=38082
    For 400 bucks? That was a good deal.