Thread: Starcasters!

Forum Member

Starcasters!

Had to put out a post on the mighty Starcaster and how I got mine...

For years I searched in vain for one. Nobody knew what the heck I was talking about. One day I put a post out on a board, I think the original H-C board, back in '97 asking if anyone has ever seen one out there for sale. Low and behold I got an e-mail from a guy saying there was one in the "Fresno Bee" newspaper.

I was living in the Bay Area at the time and figured this just might work out. I searched online, I called the paper, all to no avail. In desparation, I e-mailed the guy that hipped me to the ad, and he fished it out of his recycle pile and sent me the number. I thanked him profusely and dialed away.

I got the guy who was very surprised to get the call. He said, "man, that ad hasn't run in a while - everyone called hoping it was a misprint and it was a '76 Strat for $500." He goes, "you know this guitar?" I said, "yeah, like a 335, f-holes, big chrome buckers?" He said, "yep that's it, bought it for my daughter when it was new out - it was a bit big for her - got the case too."

I got his address and told him I was on my way. Then I remembered - I'm at work, and my car was in the shop. What the heck, I ran (literally) from the financial district of S.F. up to Union Square and ran into the first rental car place I could find. "Whadaya got?" I said. They asked, "when do you need a car?" I said, "now!" They said, "for how long?" I said, "till tomorrow morning." They tossed me the keys to a Taurus and I was on my way.

On my way? I'd never been to Fresno and I had a vague idea that it a diagonal downward SE from the Bay. I aimed the Taurus that way and put the hammer down.

Many sweaty driving hours later I was rolling through the northern part of a good sized town. Never saw a sign that said this was actually Fresno. I pulled into a mini mart. I went in and asked, "how far away is Fresno?" Apu said, "you've been in it for the last half hour if you came that way."

Well, okay then. Note to the city of Fresno: how about a sign welcoming folks to your fair city? Coulda been one, it's was dark.

Found the guy's house and we got on like a house on fire. Neat guy, into bikes like me. He'd written a bunch of songs and "sent them to a guy in Nashville" and "every once in a while they send me a check and tell me it was recorded by somebody." He rattled off some names and I was impressed. Pretty cool.

Anyhow, we hung out and played. I shot home in the dark with my $500 mint, natural Starcaster in the back seat of the rental Taurus - and a story to go with it. Bad news is I had to fly out the next day. When I got back my roommate was in love with that guitar.

I've used her live on many occaision and people dig it. "No way, that's a Fender?" And "that thing has it's own sound."

I've been offered $1,700 so far, but she's going nowhere.
    Guitaricus Knobthosius

Forum Member
    Guitaricus Knobthosius

Hey Knobby,
    I like the story! I first saw a picture of a Starcaster in a magazine article about Radiohead, Johnny Greenwood plays one occasionally. I'd like to check one out in person one day, but they are so damn rare. I love my 335 but it would be interesting to play a 335-type guitar with a fender neck. Cool stuff :wail1

Forum Member
    Great story!

Forum Member
    I have been looking at the starcasters i really want to get one i just need to save up enough money and find a nice one!

TFF Stage Crew
    How does she sound? I've never seen or heard a Starcaster in person but always thought they were cool. I am just curious as to what they sound like.

Good story too!

Forum Member
    Thanks guys.

Well, what does she sound like? That's a tough one. I don't know if this would help, but if you have ever played a Telecaster Deluxe (I used to own one) with the 2 chrome buckers and the Strat-style headstock, the Starcaster should sound like that - but it doesn't.

I think with the hollowbody wings, and just a generally bigger body they sound more round and full with less bite. For instance, I never ran my Tele Deluxe on the bridge pickup. Too much bite. Too much Albert Collins, and if you're not Albert Collins, it's a bad thing! :tw59

It's not completely 335ish. It is, but it isn't. Getting the drift that this is a unique guitar yet? With both pickups on it's a smidge Jazzmaster in plunkiness, but not heavy treble or plonk. Bridge pickup is usable unlike the Tele Deluxe, the Star's has bite with smoothness. Neck pickup is getting in the zip code of fatty 335ish Paulish neck pickup, but not quite. It's not a failing by any means, just unique - gives you all the round and character without being super bassy.

Great sustain, which I think is the body block and the string through, and the hollowness.

Never had a feedback issue with the hollow.

I like the master volume. I set both individual pickups tone and vol to taste, and just use the master vol. Also I like the switch on the lower bout, reminds me of my Jazzmaster, but I still occaisionaly trip it like my Jazzmaster (last night 3x at rehearsal).

The Starcaster loves an amp with 10's. For some reason it really tightens it up nicely. Heaven with my BFVR.

What else?

I dunno, a fun guitar. Unique for sure. The only cats that ever played them are the cat from Radiohead, and Leo Nocentelli of the Meters - his was black and he mentions it here:
    http://www.sundazed.com/scene/exclus...li_exclus.html

There was a band called Starcaster too - don't know if they played 'em.
    Guitaricus Knobthosius

Forum Member

Leo Noecentili rules!

Nice interview with him in the current VG. Starcasters are fun!