Thread: Blues Pearl amps

Blues Pearl amps

Hey guys,
    I recently acquired a Blues Pearl amp. Not much info on the 'net other than Robert Hudson was the amp builder and he went out of business. I have a 1996 Shread Head(poor name 'cause it's not a shredder amp). It's ptp wiring with 4 12ax7's and 2 5881's loaded with 2X10's. It kinda sounds like a cranked DR. Fortunately it has a master volume. I was wondering if any of you guys played/owned a Blues Pearl amp...Texas Tornado, Diablo, Bluesmaster, Dos Hombre, Shread Head, etc. Just curious about the amp/builder. I'll get some pics and maybe a soundfile soon. Thanks guys! Tom

Gravity Jim

Re: Blues Pearl amps

I may have been misinformed by the owner of a vintage guitar shop here that had them all the time, but AFAIK Blues Pearl amps were made in Fort Wayne for a while... I think the builder was from here, and later moved his operation (to Nashville, maybe?) when he started seeing some success.

They looked like really nice, overbuilt Fender clones to me, at least the ones I saw (I got to play through a couple of "Texas Tornado" models... I think they were Deluxe Reverb clones), and they sounded great.

Yeah I failed to mention Fort Wayne, IN. The SN on mine is 0038. Was he a one man show?

Gravity Jim

As far as I know, he was. You might get more info from these guys:

http://fwguitarexchange.com

Skip Calvin is the owner, and he would know the whole story. Drop him an e-mail, maybe.

Thanks Jim! I'll see what I can find out.

Gravity Jim

Let me (and us) know what you learn, greent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Let me (and us) know what you learn, greent.
    Well, it's not a happy tale. Apparently, Mr. Hudson was/is a remarkable highly meticulous amp builder who may have bitten off more than he could chew. Amp orders started piling up and from what I gather he just got overwhelmed. Some say he may have some health problems. No one really knows. His website has been down for years. Apparently, most people who have a Blues Pearl amp keep it. Not one bad word about the amps whatsoever on the internet. They're ptp so i guess repairs could be fixed relatively easily. Anyway, that's all i know for now.

Hat's off to Mr. Hudson - for bringing what he was able - to the table - I'd like to leave that kind of legacy - however brief...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

There weren't a lot of nice words being said about Mr. Hudson about the time he went out of business. Apparently not a very good businessman, and I'll leave it at that.

Amps are supposed to be nice, though.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    There weren't a lot of nice words being said about Mr. Hudson about the time he went out of business. Apparently not a very good businessman, and I'll leave it at that.

Amps are supposed to be nice, though.
    Yes, a lot of unfilled orders. Hell hath no fury like a guitarist scorned!

Gravity Jim

Yeah, I have to disagree wiht you, yankeerob... the amps are nice, but that's a pretty sad legacy.

Being able to do the work is less than half the job. The majority of any gig is customer service.

So people start breaking down your door. If you want to grow, then hire some people. If you want to keep it small, learn to say "no."

Beg yer pardon GJ - hadn't realised it was that bad - I - not knowing the full skinny - got the impression the guy just couldn't cope - didn't know he'd let that many down... unfortunately these things happen in 'small' businesses for a variety of reasons that are usually cumilative... the 'learn to say no' thing is dead right for sure though - I've been on the end two guitar orders that never materialised - one was a LH Gibson L6S (in black w/ebony f/board - I dreamed about owning & playing that guitar) that I saved forever for when I first left school - I waited about 3 mos after finally paying it off and they turned around said they couldn't get the neck join right - did I want a factory blemished LP custom in black (that just was not right at all) instead... I was not a happy camper so I take your point -
    Last edited by yankeerob; 04-08-2008 at 11:25 PM.
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......