Thread: Texas Special Tele Pickups

Forum Member

Texas Special Tele Pickups

I've been thinking of getting a set of these for awhle now. I haven't heard them; yet, I'm intrigued by Fender's description of them. They're supposed to be of vintage character; but overwound for higher output and rawness. I have also heard that they breakup too quickly.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,
    Butch

I have them in my MIM Standard and love them. They are definitely ballsy and have more of a rock tone to them (which I wanted)....definitely not the twang of most Teles.
    Rockin' in the free world . . .

Forum Member
    Exactly what Jisham said,

I have a pair in a tele and love them. I wouldn't swap them now for any pickup. They turned a POS no name Japanese Tele into a fire breathing rock machine.

I would not reccomend these pups for clean or country, they were not made for this.

But, played through a dimed Marshall, or some pedals, and these pups shine and sound heavy. I have a real 1958 Fender Tele p'up in my #1 tele and I am surprised how close the TS come to this '58. BTW the '58 is the best pup I have ever heard, period. Real PAFs included.
    Last edited by Florida Sam; 07-29-2002 at 09:55 PM.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Florida Sam
    I would not reccomend these pups for clean or country, they were not made for this.
    Wow, guys thanks for the response. I intend to use the pickups for some good Tele-pickin' Country as well as some Blues tunes.

I have a Duncan Jerry Donahue model that I think I'll use instead. I also have a Gibson mini-humbucker that I think I'll throw in the neck position.

Thanks again... for what I'm trying to do, these pickups won't work.

Butch:bigal