Thread: Eminence Red Fang 10"

Forum Member

Eminence Red Fang 10"

Just saw that Eminence now has the Red Fang available as a 10" speaker. Very efficient, especially for a 10".

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speak...0&SUB_CAT_ID=4

Forum Member

Re: Eminence Red Fang 10"

I have the 12, and I love it, but I see that this model only goes up to 4.5k!
    I do not know how well thats gonna fly for Fender/SRV type harmonics?

Gravity Jim

I see the number in question is listed as part of a "Usable" Frequency Range. I'm not savvy enough to know what that means, but I see that our 12" Red Fangs are listed as having a usable Frequency Range that tops out at 5.5K, and they'll rip your ears off with a Strat... there's no way they're not producing frequencies above 5.5K.

Maybe Kap'n, Fezz or one of our other speaker gurus will chime in on "usable" frequency range, and how that relates to harmonic output.

Not sure what that means either.

Right now I'm conceptualizing an "AC30-lite" (top boost channel only) and I'm trying to figure out how I can keep the thing from being AC30 size and weight. This might be an option.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

I doubt it means very much. At the most maybe you have to turn the treble up more with this speaker. It's not like it hits a brickwall at 4.5k.

It's not like there's a lot of 5.5K frequency content to a guitar sound.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    It's not like there's a lot of 5.5K frequency content to a guitar sound.
    You'd be surprised.

Forum Member

Next time you have the chance, or make the time to plug your guitar into a 31 band EQ and then into a amp and pull down every thing above 6K, and then see how you like your tone and harmonics!

Doesnt the usable frequency only mean the highest fundamentals it can reproduce? 6k is pretty damn high. Go an octave and a half above that and most people above 25 can't hear it.

Gravity Jim

Okay, I'll bite... I'm working on a video score right now with a lot of bright lead guitar in it, and so I just took the track (recorded with a very full-range large diaphragm condenser mic) and rolled off everything above 5.5K (a more accurate indication of what a guitar speaker is capable of producing than affecting the input between the guitar and the amp).

There was no tonal change in the guitar. If I soloed the track and cranked it, I could hear a slight difference in room tone/"air," but in the mix, you can't even hear that.

So if you're used to listening to a guitar played through a speaker, you're not hearing anything above 6K, anyway.

Hey, fezz.... do you a 10" Red Fang be even better-sounding than the blue-frame Emmie currently in the Prince G?

Careful GJ.

You are opening up the door to tweaksville!!!!
    Fezz already tweaked the circuit for a particular sound with that speaker. Why mess with a sound you love.

Disclaimer: Yes I realize that I've taken a soldering gun to every thing I own to include amps, guitars, my bicycle and my lawnmower
    I'm just trying to save GJ from my fate!!!
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Gravity Jim

I hear ya, Mc. :)

And I really not a tweaker. But I love my Red Fang 12, and if the 10 was just as awesome (and if Fezz might want the "vinatge" speaker he installed in the Prince G back for any reason), well... I do have a friend who can provide Eminence speakers to me at wholesale.

And I think I just proved to myself that a top end of 4.5K is plenty for a 10" driver.

Is this how you end tweaking stuff all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Is this how you end tweaking stuff all the time?
    Only when it does what I want.
    There is quite often a time durring the tweaking that I look more like this...

Heck. If you can get Eminence wholesale, Tweak away!!! Its just a learning experience.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Forum Member

Jim,

The Red Fang 10 will be louder than what you've got in the PG now. I'm sure it will sound great, but at the same settings you're used to now for a certain 'crunch' the amp will be louder, maybe not bad for live playing, but for recording maybe less desireable.

Gravity Jim

Thanks, Fezz (and JAM). I'm happy to leave it alone. Jes checkin'.

Is the speaker that's in it just now one of those Eminence Alnico 10s that came in the original '59 Bassman reissue?
    I've heard some great things about those speakers.

Gravity Jim

zeiss, it is an older blue-framed Eminence alnico 10" of some kind, and it does sound great.

Sounds cool.
    I'm thinking about putting new speakers in my Bassman. Anybody have any ideas about a good choice in the current Eminence line-up?

Tommy.

Forum Member

Copperheads. Or these new Red Fangs, but they're more $$.

Are those the equivalents of the old blue ones then? I can't find them in the EU and buying them through Fender would just be extortionate (can you say $1000 for a Hot Rod Deluxe). I'll email eminence and see if they could point me to a supplier.

JAM, I like the idea of Copperheads. They're a fairly bright speaker, right? If I can't find any of those blue alnico-types I might try mixing two of them with the two of the Weber Alnico 10S' that are in it at the moment.
    Which would leave me two spare 8Ω 10"s... I could swap a few values in the poweramp of the tremolux i'm building and change to the '55-'59 Super/Pro/Bandmaster output stage and run it as a 2x10". Bam! A great idea is born; the Superlux (cough)!

Tommy.

Do they ship internationally? I'll check it out, thanks.

Tommy.