Thread: Acoustic with electric strings?

Acoustic with electric strings?

Hey guys, I finally snapped another string on my 1969 Silvertone acoustic, and I was wondering- How would putting electric guitar strings on my acoustic effect the tone? I know the electric strings will be a bit easier to play, but will it have a very negative effect on the tone? I think I might try them out anyhow, but I wanted to ask first.

BTW I only use d'addario's, I love them!

EDIT- I am currently running .10-.47, as the neck is slightly warped and is almost unplayable with .011's or over. Hard to believe, because I use .011-.049's on my electrics....
    Quote Originally Posted by sting7777
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway

Re: Acoustic with electric strings?

Eh, they just don't have the right tone. It may be ok, but it just never sounded right to me.

All depends on the guage strings you use.

You can get electric strings in 12-54 or whatever regular "acoustic" strings you would normally use.

Tone with Daddario .010s on an old silvertone is pure crap. very thin and wimpy (don't ask why I know that).

Electric strings on acoustics tend to also be quieter than acoustic strings (which was the only reason I used to do that). Living in Navy barracks for a period of time with only an acoustic guitar, to keep from disturbing other people, I put electric strings on my Yamaha acoustic. Tone was not my concern, volume was. The electric strings did the trick.
    POO DAT!!!

I guess I'll pick up the usual acoustic strings then, thanks guys!

And on a side note- this Silvertone sounds amazing for some reason. It's my baby! It's not as bright as a Martin or Taylor, but I don't like how bright they are anyways, so it all works out!
    Quote Originally Posted by sting7777
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway