Thread: Learning

Learning

I aspire to build an amp. You folks amaze me with your projects and I have been meaning to learn electronics skills for years.

I have wired up guitars and pedals, am pretty proficient with a soldering iron, and love/am good at putting things together. It's time to get into theory.

I need to start from scratch, learning about what components do and how they work together to do what they do. In need to develop working knowledge of the math involved. I need to learn to use a multimeter (really -- I don't even know where properly place the probes).. Also, I need to understand how to be safe when working with real voltage as opposed to 9v battery powered circuits.

I read some of Jack Darr's handbook that kap'n linked to in a recent post, and that that's too advanced for where I'm at. I need more basic info, really to start from scratch. I have limited free time, but I think I'm ready to put the time in studying to learn it proper.

Any suggestions on what books (or even web pages) to read to get started?

Forum Member

Re: Learning

I would just like to second the above post.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Forum Member

Re: Learning

A good understanding of basic DC and AC concepts is the place to start.

The first two chapters here cover that:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/