Thread: What have I done?

What have I done?

Way back when I was still a kid I bought an old Jazz base from Petes Guitar in Mpls. I played that base for a few years along with a couple of other fenders. At the time they were really not that valuable so I swapped the old Jazz neck onto a seventies precision body, then put the p-neck on the jazz body and sold it. This was back in 1976. So my question is this, is it worth anything to sell or should I just hang onto it. I never play the base anymore and could use the cash, but if it's worthless I'll keep it. Thanks for any thoughts....Mike

Re: What have I done?

some people buy fenders and part them out on flea bay
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

sooo... you have a '76 P body (and presumably, electronics, etc.) with an earlier-than -'76 J neck on it? any idea what year the neck is? sounds like a cool bass. could be worth some bread, especially depending on the age of the neck. sadly, you are almost guaranteed to get more money for it by parting it out than selling it whole.

could you post a pic?
    a

I don't have the camera tonite. Yes it is a great base, I believe the neck is off of a 60 jazz base, but can't say for sure. One wierd thing, on the back side of the head there is a guitar strap button like the one in the usual location, seems odd. The fender decal on the front of the head has gold letters with a black outline if that means anything, I'm sure it's pre-CBS. I put a Badass bridge on it about thirty two years ago also. I wish I could remember who I sold the jazz body with the precision neck to!

sounds like a cool bass. it would be considered a "player's guitar" if sold whole. parted out would bring more money though if that's the route you choose.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I took the neck off tonite and found a date, 7 July 65 A. So it's a 65 Jazz neck. The precision body has no date, other than the number on the pots, which is 032367 250K 304-7245. I also noticed the pickguard has four layers, tourtis, white, black, white. I've had this base for thirty three years and never noticed that.....The original finish (white) has yellowed quite a bit. So, any thoughts on this base? Mike

Sounds cool, got any pictures?

Tommy.

I'm going to take some tonite! I've been lookin' on fleabay....Mike