Thread: Brown Truck Delivery Yesterday

Forum Member

Brown Truck Delivery Yesterday

New Frontman 212R in the house. So far I'm likin' it alot! So much nicer than the little 10 amp Orange Crush I was using to get me started. Now I actually am eager to pick up my Strat and play. This is my first serious foray into the world of 'lectric guitar.

Re: Brown Truck Delivery Yesterday

Congrats!
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Nice Amp! Congrats...

65 SG Jr., Gibson Les Paul Jr, 06 American DLX Tele, 86 G&L Invader
    Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI, Peavey Classic 50, Fender Blues Jr NOS (Private Jack), Gibson GA-5, VibroChamp XD
    02 Gallagher Doc Watson, 72 Alvarez Yaire 12 String, Kentucky KM350
    Lots of pedals...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by woodlands52 View Post
    This is my first serious foray into the world of 'lectric guitar.
    Welcome! It's a great world -- and one that rewards obsession.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Very nice choice, Congrats
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

wow , I'l go ahead and say it at the risk of being crude; the Frontman is total junk!
    ( this post sponsored by Tisdale Merlot. 3.33 a bottle).

Have fun with that booger!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    wow , I'l go ahead and say it at the risk of being crude; the Frontman is total junk!
    ( this post sponsored by Tisdale Merlot. 3.33 a bottle).
    Hey, Jerry. I notice you got rid of that sig keeping track of how long it had been since you'd made an ass of yourself on the board.

I think that was a wise decision.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Forum Member

its 3 for 10.00. A very fair Merlot for the price. Can you really blame me?
    Besides, he's got to hear the truth. Its painfull, yes, but necessary...Besides, I'd trade an orange crush for that Frontman. Thats an awefull amp. I mean, it at least has to be suggested, and I'm doing it. Of course, we want him to be excited about playing, of course, but really, do we want him playing through a Frontman?Well, maybe for a little while I suppose..so I'm sorry, but still.... NO, keep the Orange Crush. Get a Hot rod Deluxe. I mean c'mon..sheesh.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Jerry, he's new on the board and doesn't know that you're kidding. He probably thinks you're pissing in his cornflakes... Plus, he hasn't been worshipping at the altar of all things Fender and Tube forever. He didn't start out on a Fender tube amp like so many of us did, and he certainly doesn't know his 5e3 from his DRRI...

Personally, I've owned several very good-sounding transistorized Fender amps. Recently, a buddy of mine picked up a Princeton Chorus (the black-knob version) for $150 and is very happy with it.

Not everyone is riding that middle ground where the tubes heat up and everything becomes tonal bliss...I myself can't get any amp loud enough to give up the grunt in any of the places I play...

Here's a funny story, speaking of transistor amps...

My band, Crossfyre, was doing a support booking several years back, and when we asked about backline, they said that there would be a Fender Twin available to me if I didn't want to bring my AC15. Well, I brought it anyway, and was glad of that - because the "Fender Twin" was a 2x12 Fender M80 Chorus. And that's not the first time that particular terminology has been used to describe a Fender amp with 2 12" speakers...

So by that terminology, Woodlands is the proud owner of a Fender "Twin" amp!!!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Guys, keep 'em comin'. I realize I'm on a learnin' curve here. I thought I really really wanted a tube amp, but this was a comprimise that fit my budget.

Woody, I'm sure you'll enjoy the FM 212 amp. I've checked 'em out at the music store where I teach and they're a good solid amp. Hell, I gigged a Fender Power Chorus (big brother to the Princeton Chorus) for a couple of years back in the late 80's, and nobody complained about my tone or expressed any concern about the lack of tubes...

At some point you have to remember - it's not just about what you play through (your rig) but what you play (your performance).

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Woody, I'm sure you'll enjoy the FM 212 amp. I've checked 'em out at the music store where I teach and they're a good solid amp. Hell, I gigged a Fender Power Chorus (big brother to the Princeton Chorus) for a couple of years back in the late 80's, and nobody complained about my tone or expressed any concern about the lack of tubes...

At some point you have to remember - it's not just about what you play through (your rig) but what you play (your performance).

Very well Said RJ, couldn't have put it better! Enjoy your new Toy Woody and have as much fun as you possibly can!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

I've been playing a steel guitar through a FM100H for a couple of years now, which I think is the head version of the FM212, and I've had no issues with it. For $220 delivered, with a decent warranty, it seemed the way to go to get a clean 100W amp. I did swap out the cheesey chinese reverb tank for a 4 series accutronics.

Guys, keep 'em comin'. I realize I'm on a learnin' curve here. I thought I really really wanted a tube amp, but this was a comprimise that fit my budget.
    You probably want a tube amp due to peer pressure, it takes time to learn to hear the differences. You are where you are suppose to be right now.

I played solid state (bad, 70's and 80's solid state) for over a decade before I got a decent tube amp.

But when I found that '57 Deluxe, I never went back.
    orange picks

This is my first serious foray into the world of 'lectric guitar.
    Uh oh.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

if the amp sounds good to you, that's is what matters.

most of these guys are on the 'tone quest' and have become
    'cork sniffing amp snobs' in the process. They know what sounds good to them and continue the quest for better and better.

I guess I need to add myself to the list
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Forum Member

My first two amps were solid state: In the 1980s, I had a Peavey Backstage and a Peavey Renown. They served me fine while I was learning to play, right up through being in a gigging band in high school and early college. I developed some pretty good chops playing through those amps. Because -- guess what! -- your choice of amp doesn't raise or lower the bar on how much you can learn or how well you can play. A tube amp isn't a magic Talent Fountain.

A lot of experienced guitarists swear by tube amps for the smooth, natural, touch-sensitive distortion you get when you crank them up to where the power amp begins to break up. But how many of them can regularly play those amps at that volume level? A lot of guys who say you've gotta have a tube amp spend most of their time with their amps set lower than that and get their distortion from a solid-state overdrive or distortion pedal.

I haven't played around with a solid state Fender amp in years and years, so I don't know anything about the Frontman. But if you can get sounds you like out of it, I'm sure it's plenty of amp -- especially as you're just starting out with electric guitar. Later on, when you've developed your chops, you can obsess over gear if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Hey, Jerry. I notice you got rid of that sig keeping track of how long it had been since you'd made an ass of yourself on the board.

Oh, here we go again. His signature has now changed to one of my posts.....

Thanks for the stardom Jerry and keep the Merlot flowing....

"Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

It certainly requires less maintenance.
    orange picks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Erock_Germany View Post
    Oh, here we go again. His signature has now changed to one of my posts.....
    Out of context, your post is even funnier.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

My first two amps were solid state: In the 1980s, I had a Peavey Backstage and a Peavey Renown. They served me fine while I was learning to play, right up through being in a gigging band in high school and early college. I developed some pretty good chops playing through those amps. Because -- guess what! -- your choice of amp doesn't raise or lower the bar on how much you can learn or how well you can play. A tube amp isn't a magic Talent Fountain.

A lot of experienced guitarists swear by tube amps for the smooth, natural, touch-sensitive distortion you get when you crank them up to where the power amp begins to break up. But how many of them can regularly play those amps at that volume level? A lot of guys who say you've gotta have a tube amp spend most of their time with their amps set lower than that and get their distortion from a solid-state overdrive or distortion pedal.

I haven't played around with a solid state Fender amp in years and years, so I don't know anything about the Frontman. But if you can get sounds you like out of it, I'm sure it's plenty of amp -- especially as you're just starting out with electric guitar. Later on, when you've developed your chops, you can obsess over gear if you want.
    I CONFESS!

I own a solid-state Fender amp. And it's equipped with (GASP!) ceramic Celestions.

And y'all just know that ol' Rog hates them transistors like a rabid dawg, thinks anythang comin' outta Ipwich, England is lower than pond scum, and regards ceramic material as suitable only for ashtrays, coffee cups, or Hummel figurines.

Nevertheless, I find my Stage 100 DSP combo with its matching extension cab to be a very useful tool.

(that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I keep eyeing the Super Champ XD with interest. That's got tubes, but also loads o' transistors and whatnot.

I love my TJ-built tweed Champ, a tube amp I can actually crank without blowing the windows out. It does make me lust after a 5E3 or a PRRI, of course -- but I know I'd never be comfortable cranking those amps in my living room.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

I recently played a non-tube Marshall, and I was amazed at how great it sounded. If I weren't a cork-sniffer, I'd have me one of those.

In short, if you like the sound of your amp, it's cool!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post

or simply that you play
    a nowhere man on quick southern feet