Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suhr Backplate vs. Dummy Coil Mod on a Stratocaster

Forum Member

Re: Suhr Backplate vs. Dummy Coil Mod on a Stratocaster

A couple of things:

a) Tried it in parallel rather than series and you lose some level and bottom end, maybe useful for those with dark sounding hot pups?

b) Tried it in series with a pot like suggested here by Totally bored and found that the best for my stock 66 pups.

To my ear it's useful as a tone modifier as well, and seems to add something of a humbucker feel with it's minor high end cut as well as noise reduction (nice into distorting amps etc).

Quote Originally Posted by djd100 View Post
    Or for folks who record around video monitors etc.

Has anyone A/B'd this mod against the Suhr version?

I'd be interested in the differences aside from cost?

Thanks again Totally bored!

Forum Member

Dano config

Hi, great thread, could you post the Dano solution ( pic ) please. I just built a DC-59 and want to ad the coil idea.

best Ange

I just bought the Suhr backplate for my Angelicaster, but I haven't wired it up yet. One interesting thing about the Suhr backplate is that it is adjustable so you can get the optimal hum cancellation with minimal tonal change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    I just bought the Suhr backplate for my Angelicaster, but I haven't wired it up yet. One interesting thing about the Suhr backplate is that it is adjustable so you can get the optimal hum cancellation with minimal tonal change.

You can do that with the way this "MOD" is wired up also.

Re: Dano config

Quote Originally Posted by angelodp View Post
    Hi, great thread, could you post the Dano solution ( pic ) please. I just built a DC-59 and want to ad the coil idea.

best Ange
    I don't remeber exactly as it was quite a while ago when I did it to my DC 59 but, I wired it to have it inline and not off. MY DC 59 has only 1 Volume Pot and 1 Tone Pot so I didn't have that option of using the 2nd tone pot so.... Right before the signal goes to the output jack I wired the "Dummy Coil" in series.

Hope that helps

I don't guess anyone has considered that Fender already came up with the idea for a dummy coil in the Deluxe Powerhouse Strat. Notice the extra coil next to the switch. Just Sayin'.

Then Play On

Okay, so I just wired up the backplate and tried it out. It's definitely different from a dummy coil because the circuit board that comes with it has two potentiometers for calibration. You wire the grounds of the pickups directly into this thing and then calibrate the dummy coil in the backplate against them. It does a good job of taking out the hum.

Unfortunately, there is indeed a cut in high frequencies. You can hear it in the attack. After playing around with it for a little while, I've taken it back off. I think I'd rather use a noise gate instead, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Okay, so I just wired up the backplate and tried it out. It's definitely different from a dummy coil because the circuit board that comes with it has two potentiometers for calibration. You wire the grounds of the pickups directly into this thing and then calibrate the dummy coil in the backplate against them. It does a good job of taking out the hum.

Unfortunately, there is indeed a cut in high frequencies. You can hear it in the attack. After playing around with it for a little while, I've taken it back off. I think I'd rather use a noise gate instead, for now.
    It's differant but the same as the suhr backplate is a dummy coil.

Yup, thats why I decided to look into this cheap little mod that I came up with. Couldn't find any schematics for it so I tinker'd around and figured it out on my own. The thing about the suhr backplate is that ( correct me if I'm wrong ) you dial in the amount of hum you want removed and then you put it all back together and leave it on or engaged all the time unless you install a switch or a push pull pot.

I have it wired so you can take the dummy coil out of the signal path and only use it when needed. In high gain situations, I find it nice to roll off the hum and it does take a little bit of the highs out wich I like but when playing clean or a little dirty you won't need so you don't engage it.

The last time I checked the suhr system was around $259 and it required you to leave the backplate on your axe wich I hate to leave on. My little mod cost me Nothing or .00 cents as I had a cheap strat pickup laying around and I used the existing pots on my axe.

Peace