Thread: Voodoo on a budget

Voodoo on a budget

Thought I'd try this here, since I didn't get any love on the other forum. I picked this up last Saturday in Memphis. Somebody had traded it in at GC. After taking it apart, it appears to be a real Strat body that used to be metallic blue, with the bridge pickup slot nicely routed to accept the reverse pickup. The alpine white finish is pro quality. The pickguard is a Warmoth, and the electronics look to be all Fender. It has three Fender '68 RI left-handed pickups in it. I'm not sure where the tremolo came from. The neck is a nicely-flamed Allparts one-piece with tinted lacquer. The fit & finish are unreal... it's one of the best playing Strats I've ever picked up. So, whaddya think? Did I do good? I'd love to find out who put this thing together and get some of the history behind it. The GC dude said that all he knew was the dude was from California and it was all USA parts.

Gravity Jim

Re: Voodoo on a budget

$250 for a guitar you love is an awesome score anytime, anywhere, regardless of what parts it's assembled from.

Very cool. If it plays well and you're happy with it, it's even better.
    Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    $250 for a guitar you love is an awesome score anytime, anywhere, regardless of what parts it's assembled from.
    +1. But regardless, the parts are probably worth at least what you paid on their own, if not moreso. You got a good deal any way you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    But regardless, the parts are probably worth at least what you paid on their own, if not moreso.
    That's what I was thinking, too. I couldn't convince my wife that (A) I needed another guitar, (B) That it was really worth $250 even though it didn't say "Fender" on it, and (C) That I could always sell it for parts for more than I paid for it. She really goes into penny-pincher mode after Christmas. I finally just said "To hell with it" and bought it anyway. It's only a 2-hour drive from Memphis to my house. I figured she'd run out of bitching before we got home.

I thought I replied to this earlier, but it's not here! I probably didn't click on the "Post Quick Reply" button.

In any case, that's a pretty sweet looking guitar and a good deal, too.

I would've had to buy if I had seen it in a shop.

You should make up a decal for it though (not Fender). The look like they're missing something without one.

the neck looks fishy to me. but those are really cool guitars.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I've always wanted one of those with the reverse slanted bridge pickup, might give me more of the sound I'm looking for.

And that looks like a steal, very good deal!
    Quote Originally Posted by sting7777
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway