Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GFS 60's repros- Review

Re: GFS 60's repros- Review

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Russ,

I hear ya I read that and though, WTF?!?!
    Good its not just me then... thought I was loosing it!!!!!!! LOL
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

Hey Russ is that a classic player strat in your avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by champxd View Post
    I just don't like hearing every fret on the guitar sound out loud and clear.My playing may have a lot to do with that.

My father used to ask my mother is she could sing "Far Far Away."
    I don't know if there was such a song. But none of us really liked hearing her loud and clear either.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

He's here all week, folks. Tip your waitress!
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Forum Member

Hum,

it's first time I hear that being able to hear every string very clearly is a bad thing for a pickup. Having said this, if he is playing Sonic Youth type of music, I guess you don't want to be able to hear every string cleanly. You just want a huge sound of undisctinct notes....

For the record, I really like the cleaness of the GFS pickups that I have. Great vintage style pickups. If clean ain't your thang, go for the humbucker in a single coil type of pickup.

Cheers,
    Stephane.

Hey Russ is that a classic player strat in your avatar?
    No it is a 50th ann.MIM 50s Classic with my special order copperhead AV-AII pups love it love it . Hangs with the best of them I have had quite a few strats in my day and this one is as good as it gets, except for the 69 I once had. yeah and the old fart is me !!!
    those classic players are nice also have only come across one 50s around here nice guitar.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-12-2008 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post

My father used to ask my mother is she could sing "Far Far Away."
    I don't know if there was such a song. But none of us really liked hearing her loud and clear either.
    Must be a popular tune my father used to ask my Mother if she could play it every time she sat down at the piano.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    No it is a 50th ann.MIM 50s Classic with my special order copperhead AV-AII pups love it love it . Hangs with the best of them I have had quite a few strats in my day and this one is as good as it gets, except for the 69 I once had. yeah and the old fart is me !!!
    those classic players are nice also have only come across one 50s around here nice guitar.
    Cool looking axe! I have a 60s that I feel the same way about..

Cool looking axe! I have a 60s that I feel the same way about..
    Got a LPB 60s also with GFS 64 greys texas they are staying in it good pups. I am more of a 50s (maple neck) guy. Good guitars the 60s. Enjoy brother enjoy.... you know what I do need though is an amp like the wonderful thing in your avatar, is that a 5e3 clone? I am thinking of getting a mission kit.

Forum Member

I have heard many many strange things on forums , I can dissagree or agree , and understand what it is I am debating, but this is beyond my relam of understanding, what the fuck does,... just too clean made every string ring out on the fret like the neck was out.... Mean! just when I thought I heard it all!!!!!!!LOL.
    Well when I wrote that, I was in severe pain and on some heavey duty medication for it, things were not real clear.
    what I was trying to say was my strings sounded like they were buzzing on the frets. I checked the neck and it was in spec. I have never had this happen before. I blame the pickups because I never had a problem with this strat until I changed them. I have owned more strats then some of you have years.
    I guess for me they were to clean. you guys just jump upon that bandwagon and enjoy them, you paid for em not me.
    I didn't like em and that is my right, so make yourselves feel good about your toys at my expense, thats ok too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    You get the award for dumbass of the week.

You know there are these little screws that raise and lower the pickups, did you try those?

I've been playing for 45 years, and have GFS pickups in all of my gigging strats. They kick ass and take names, but a big part of that is me playing 'em.
    good for you.

my strings sounded like they were buzzing on the frets. I checked the neck and it was in spec. I have never had this happen before. I blame the pickups because I never had a problem with this strat until I changed them.
    Uhhh, to change the pickups you have to take the strings ofdf n such. It's easily possible that your guitar is out of setup. How can a pickup change make a string buzz?

I've had no such problems with mine at all, I've had the setup on my Chinese POS stagg set the way I like it and I've never had a problem, especially from the pickups. Only problem I had was a saddle buzz because the trem wasn't adjusted correctly.

BTW I hate to say it, but mine still sound sweet as ever! Clean, crisp and not very hot. Chimey and responsive is where it's at!
    Quote Originally Posted by sting7777
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway

Forum Member

you guys just jump upon that bandwagon and enjoy them
    Wow, is THAT condescending. You're just determined to offend, aren't you? Are you still in pain and on medication?

I can't speak for everyone here, but I didn't jump on any bandwagon -- I tried the 60s Repros, liked 'em, and said so here.

You're absolutely welcome to your own opinion. If you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em. (Even if your reason for not liking them -- that your new pickups somehow messed up your guitar's setup -- is puzzling at best.) But you're not welcome to imply that everyone who likes pickups you don't like is a sheep who just jumped on a bandwagon.

When yours is the minority opinion, that doesn't necessarily make you wrong. But it sure as hell doesn't make the majority wrong.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Wow, is THAT condescending. You're just determined to offend, aren't you? Are you still in pain and on medication?

I can't speak for everyone here, but I didn't jump on any bandwagon -- I tried the 60s Repros, liked 'em, and said so here.

You're absolutely welcome to your own opinion. If you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em. (Even if your reason for not liking them -- that your new pickups somehow messed up your guitar's setup -- is puzzling at best.) But you're not welcome to imply that everyone who likes pickups you don't like is a sheep who just jumped on a bandwagon.

When yours is the minority opinion, that doesn't necessarily make you wrong. But it sure as hell doesn't make the majority wrong.

Well when I wrote that, I was in severe pain and on some heavey duty medication for it, things were not real clear.
    what I was trying to say was my strings sounded like they were buzzing on the frets. I checked the neck and it was in spec. I have never had this happen before. I blame the pickups because I never had a problem with this strat until I changed them. I have owned more strats then some of you have years.
    I guess for me they were to clean. you guys just jump upon that bandwagon and enjoy them, you paid for em not me.
    I didn't like em and that is my right, so make yourselves feel good about your toys at my expense, thats ok too.
    Then for you, what are considered good responding pick ups are not for you , you as many other players require inefficient pick ups which will not pick up as much finger and fret noise, but what you loose is the ability to work the guitar to produce more tones that become available with the better pick ups. Good Fender pick ups do the same, you say you have had more strats than most, funny you do not understand what makes a good start sound as it does. Must have had a lot of dead strats! what ever enjoy guy , hope you feel better soon. and hey I do not need to use you to feel good I just did not understand WTF you said. Excuse me.

Got a LPB 60s also with GFS 64 greys texas they are staying in it good pups. I am more of a 50s (maple neck) guy. Good guitars the 60s. Enjoy brother enjoy.... you know what I do need though is an amp like the wonderful thing in your avatar, is that a 5e3 clone? I am thinking of getting a mission kit.
    Yes it's a 5E3 Built by David Allen. www.allenamps.com build it you will not be sorry you did there awesome amps..

Ba Bye!

Well, that got strange, didn't it?

And here I thought his not wanting to hear "every fret on the guitar sound out loud and clear" was the unusual thing to read on a guitar forum.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Here's my foot in your ass, noob. Back to Harmony Central you go.

LOL LOL

Yes it's a 5E3 Built by David Allen. www.allenamps.com build it you will not be sorry you did there awesome amps..
    Thanks for the link I saw that site before for some reason I thought they only had BF kits. Going to get some kit soon from some where. if I do not see one already built going cheap.. may take the fun out of it though. the fun of building that is take care guy enjoy.

Here's my foot in your ass, noob. Back to Harmony Central you go.

Where the hell do you find those images!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

That's what happens when you put a bee in Fezz's....Fez.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Thanks for the link I saw that site before for some reason I thought they only had BF kits. Going to get some kit soon from some where. if I do not see one already built going cheap.. may take the fun out of it though. the fun of building that is take care guy enjoy.
    Hey you may want to visit www.tdpri.com there is one for sale there cheap..

Hey you may want to visit www.tdpri.com there is one for sale there cheap..
    Yeah thanks I saw that the Mojo ? about 140 short at the moment doubt it will be there long. I am in Canada and its a pain getting stuff , sent up sometimes the seller will not even consider shipping outside the U.S.

Its funny. My friend bought some Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots for his Mexican and I put them in for him. He absolutely hated the results and he hates that guitar now.

Like ChampXD he just finds it "too" clean and bright compared to what it used to be. I guess the ceramic pickups of the mexican were a bit hotter and fatter.

I think he is just hearing what a vintage strat really sounds like (or close to it). It just goes to show that tone is objective.

But, he is in a rock band and keeps on buying strats. I keep telling him he would be wise to invest in a HB guitar or a strat with HB bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by marT View Post
    But, he is in a rock band and keeps on buying strats. I keep telling him he would be wise to invest in a HB guitar or a strat with HB bridge.
    Or a Tele.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by marT View Post
    Its funny. My friend bought some Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots for his Mexican and I put them in for him. He absolutely hated the results and he hates that guitar now.

I think he is just hearing what a vintage strat really sounds like (or close to it). It just goes to show that tone is objective.
    You mean "subjective", right?

Hmm - this is my experience exactly. I put the GFS '64 Vintage Staggers in my MIM beater strat and thought it was way to bright and sizzly.

I put a set of '60s Repros in my main MIM strat with similar results.

Honestly, I have to say that I prefer the sound of the stock MIM pickups in my main Strat over the GFS, but not by an overwhelming margin. I guess it'll take some time to get used to the difference, if in fact this is what a vintage strat is supposed to sound like....

DD

Fezz you deserve this-

:)
    Quote Originally Posted by sting7777
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    You mean "subjective", right?

Hmm - this is my experience exactly. I put the GFS '64 Vintage Staggers in my MIM beater strat and thought it was way to bright and sizzly.

I put a set of '60s Repros in my main MIM strat with similar results.

Honestly, I have to say that I prefer the sound of the stock MIM pickups in my main Strat over the GFS, but not by an overwhelming margin. I guess it'll take some time to get used to the difference, if in fact this is what a vintage strat is supposed to sound like....

DD
    Give your self some time with them, use your volume and tone controls , right hand technique etc. plays a big part in the tone game as with any guitar, nice to have that extra sizzle and brightness when you want it or need it. But hey not everyone likes needs or uses vintage type pups, I suspose if a person has never had much or any experience with a vintage type strat, only a ceramic, or should I say modern type strat, they could grow accustom to that sound, and feel the vintage guitars sound off. But what was in strats during their hay day, not ceramic. Alot of us that first picked one up and listened to all the guys from the 50s and 60s ,require that vintage type. as well as the new players that do hear or enjoy the difference.Each to their whatever.

I think a ceramic pups sounds harsh\dull where the alnico is clear very articulate it may just be the player hearing their own shortcomings and blaming the pickups.

Dirt shouldn't come from your pickups, it should come from the amp. Overwound pickups just sound like mud to me.

I dislike 'hot' pickups as well---even when I'm in full bore high gain mode.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Quote Originally Posted by hudpucker View Post

I dislike 'hot' pickups as well---even when I'm in full bore high gain mode.
    May I Quote OSA!?!? It sounds like ASS!!

Give your self some time with them, use your volume and tone controls , right hand technique etc. plays a big part in the tone game as with any guitar, nice to have that extra sizzle and brightness when you want it or need it. But hey not everyone likes needs or uses vintage type pups, I suspose if a person has never had much or any experience with a vintage type strat, only a ceramic, or should I say modern type strat, they could grow accustom to that sound, and feel the vintage guitars sound off. But what was in strats during their hay day, not ceramic. Alot of us that first picked one up and listened to all the guys from the 50s and 60s ,require that vintage type. as well as the new players that do hear or enjoy the difference.Each to their whatever.
    Thanks man...

I don't claim that my techinque is impeccable...far from it.

All things being equal though (technique, guitar, strings, amp, etc), I do like my original MIM ceramic pups just a little bit more than the GFS in both of my guitars. The GFS just seems to bring a bit more top end sizzle to my tone than I would like.

HOWEVER.....

I started playing around with different volume and tone settings on the guitars and various pickup cominbinations. I have found that with the volume rolled off a bit (7-8) and various combinations of the tone rolled off (anywhere between 2 and 8), I get nice tasty tones from these MIM guitars with GFS pickups. I guess this is the "bell-like" tone every is talking about. My MIM pups were definitely more throaty and the GHS definitely more "clear" with these different settings.

On my MIM Strats with MIM pups, I basically just had to "set it and forget it" on 10 (volume and both tone controls) and it worked nicely.

I'm just having to work at it a bit more to get good tones out the GFSs in my MIM Strats.

The path to enlightenment continues on....

DD

^ good keep at it you may want to try other brands some day, nothing wrong with pups a little hotter than the 60s repro, nothing wrong with them either, I perfer pups that spec. out to 5.9-6.2 neck and mid. with 6.5 to as high as 9k in the bridge , but I seldom use the bridge pup.
    Yeah the use of the guitar control is something I read guys fore go, a shame IMO tons of different tones available when using them.
    I did dime out everything when I was first leaning, one day a local pro that was a Gibson guy older friend of my brothers stoped buy, he said when he saw my strat , oh you got one of those fucking things, not a bad guitar but you got to work them more harder to play. I handed it to him to check out through my super reverb, before he even started playing it, he turn the volume down a bit, said the Fn things sound too bright full up, unless you are playing with a band.
    He then blew me away with a sample of Chet Atkins, Duane Eddie, Hubert Sumlin and T- Bone. Moving the control around without apparent friging around, he knew right where to go to. said he had one for awhile not bad guitars .
    Another thing that got me into fiddling with the tone & volume was MOM!! every time I maxed out my guitar and super with tone bender I would hear ,when she was home , TURN THAT FUCKING THING DOWN!!!!!!!!!

Thanks man...
    All things being equal though (technique, guitar, strings, amp, etc), I do like my original MIM ceramic pups just a little bit more than the GFS in both of my guitars. The GFS just seems to bring a bit more top end sizzle to my tone than I would like.

HOWEVER.....

I started playing around with different volume and tone settings on the guitars and various pickup cominbinations. I have found that with the volume rolled off a bit (7-8) and various combinations of the tone rolled off (anywhere between 2 and 8), I get nice tasty tones from these MIM guitars with GFS pickups. I guess this is the "bell-like" tone every is talking about. My MIM pups were definitely more throaty and the GHS definitely more "clear" with these different settings.

On my MIM Strats with MIM pups, I basically just had to "set it and forget it" on 10 (volume and both tone controls) and it worked nicely.

I'm just having to work at it a bit more to get good tones out the GFSs in my MIM Strats.

The path to enlightenment continues on....

DD
    I'm not sure if this was considered but I changed out the stock pups in my MIM with some repro 60s. It made my Strat sound thin and trebbly HORRIBLE! that is until I changed out the cap from a .22 with a .1. Now its FAT and Creamy especially when my amp(s) are pushed hard. The only thing I want to change is possibly something a bit hotter in the bridge maybe a HB.
    Hell is full of musical amateurs: music is the brandy of the damned.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), Man and Superman (1903) act 3
    Iron Maiden is selling out arenas all over the world as we speak! Metal is not dead. The only thing Kurt Cobain killed was himself!! (Some random Forum Guy)

DravenX - hmm...interesting...might give that a try...

So, being unknowledgeable about such things, what's the theory behind the change in cap values?

DD

Forum Member

As I understand it, the combination of a cap and a resistor makes a filter. If you put a cap between the input and the output and a resistor between the output and ground, you have a high-pass filter. Make the resistor variable (i.e., a potentiometer), and you have a tone control. Changing the value of the cap changes the cutoff frequency of the tone circuit for any given resistance.

I *think* that's what a treble bypass cap does on a volume pot, too. It creates a filter circuit that passes more highs as you roll off the volume (increase the vol. pot resistance).
    Last edited by elicross; 04-08-2008 at 06:50 PM.

DravenX - hmm...interesting...might give that a try...

So, being unknowledgeable about such things, what's the theory behind the change in cap values?

DD
    I would highly recommend it as it takes longer to take off the pickguard than to change the cap. You can even get a box of them for under 5 bones from your local Ratshack. I think this is something many people over look when changing out pickups. The default .22 cap that's in there is for MUCH hotter pickups. Those ceramics probably measure around 8-9 where as the repros are around 5.3-5.5. I do not know the science behind how any of this works I just know that it will make a huge difference. If you have the time and are curious enough buy a few different values and see how each one changes the tone and which one you like the best. Just don't clip the ends of your strings when you do this so you can keep reusing them for the testing
    Hell is full of musical amateurs: music is the brandy of the damned.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), Man and Superman (1903) act 3
    Iron Maiden is selling out arenas all over the world as we speak! Metal is not dead. The only thing Kurt Cobain killed was himself!! (Some random Forum Guy)

Forum Member

Strats used .1 uf caps to start with, and i'm not sure when or why the value was changed. I find it irionic that it's not uncommon to see people on forums say that a .1 tone cap makes a strat sound too dark when the classic pre-cbs strats used them.

i have a MIM standard strat has gfs '64 greybottoms (NOT the texas set) and a cherry sunburst squier standard strat with gfs vintage alnico staggers. they both sound great to me. If anybody here has compaired either one of these sets with the 60's repros of the alnico II set i'd love to get your input.
    Last edited by exactopposite; 04-10-2008 at 08:25 AM. Reason: they both sound great

Forum Member

they both sound great and they both sound great.
    Okay, fine, but how do they sound?