Thread: '55 Bassman (NOT-Reissue) Speaker Replacement

Forum Member

'55 Bassman (NOT-Reissue) Speaker Replacement

I'm new to the forum, and had a question. I'm going to change out the non-original speakers in a (new to me) '55 Fender Bassman, and was considering either the Jensen P10R (alnico) or the Weber Alnico Signature 10S. The Jensen is a reissue of the original, but I haven't heard them. I've had good results with a 10" Weber in my '64 Princeton Reverb. Any narrow panel Bassman owners out there? Or anyone who's heard either one or both of these speakers in action?

Re: '55 Bassman (NOT-Reissue) Speaker Replacement

What kind of speakers are in it at the moment?
    Got any pictures?
    Has it been re-capped recently? It should have been...

Tommy.

Forum Member

The Jensen RI P10R is a little too bright for me, the Weber Sig 10's are pretty close to the original P10R once they break in; ask Uncle Spot...The Emi is nice too, but cost a bit more than the Webers.

Forum Member

Or, you could spring for Weber 10A125s, his version of the original Jensen P10Qs. These are great speakers, lotsa volume and tone in there.

Forum Member

Sorry for the delay in responding, there were "new member" password issues and I wasn't receiving email updates. I've decided to go with (2) Weber 10F150's and (2) Weber 10A125's (light dope). I'm told this is a great setup. The speakers in the amp now are Jensen Neo's and a pair from Electro-Harmonix (Eminence?). My next fix will be tubes. I've ordered a pair of Svetlana "winged C" 6L6GC power tubes, but haven't yet made a decision on the 12AX7 and 12AY7's...possibly NOS. I'm not sure if I'm going to purchase another 5AR4, as I have a good one from my Matchless JJ-112 (a spare). The one in the amp now is some Chinese job. Thanks for the replies, and any tube advice will be greatly appreciated. - Roy