Thread: In search of big fat Fender necks...

Forum Member

In search of big fat Fender necks...

...for my American Strat. (That's the one nice thing about bolt-ons is you can try new necks, huh?)

Fender makes separate necks but only 57 and 62 reissue style, or so Mr. Gearhead on the Fender site said in reply to my e-mail.

I'd vastly prefer the Fender headstock shape and the Fender logo, but I'll entertain other options.
    Last edited by Zhangliqun; 05-07-2003 at 05:06 PM.

The '57 has a bit of a 'V' shape to it so it feels 'bigger' but really cuz of its shape...very nice feel in my opinion.

The '62 is a 'C' shape neck and feels more conformed from top to bottom (1st to 21st fret) so it feels the same up and down.

The '57 has the illusion of feeling bigger again, because of the 'v' neck shape, but you may want to consider getting a neck custom made to the way you like....

The other reason I'm not fond of the Fender re-issue neck series are the frets...they're both vintage frets (read: low and flat) which if you're used to large frets, it'll feel uncomfortable to you.

Good Luck sir.

Biggest Strat Fender neck is the 10/56 profile and you will find it on the Time Machine 56 Strats. Its almost 1" at the nut.

Other big necks are the jeff beck and SRV Strats.

The MIM Classic series are bigger than the USA ri series.

Forum Member
    http://www.usacustomguitars.com

Their headstock is such that they don't have to pay Fender, but it is one that easily facilitates the "real deal" if that's a must. And, I know a guy that has some really great decals if you're interested.

Since he volunteered this information on another thread, I'll go ahead and do so here (hope I'm not stepping on his toes) -Tonefiend (Ian Anderson) is making replacement necks that are not only fat, but will sport 9.5" radius fingerboards and 6105 frets. You can email him for details at Ian@mercuryguitar.com...
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."

Forum Member
    That's a good idea. I know the Tonefiend-ster, works with Scott Lentz, who I've also met and has a great reputation as a luthier.

Ian, if yer out there, let's talk about a big ol' neck with big ol' frets. I'm undecided about maple or rosewood, but...well, we'll talk.

If I don't get to you first, e-mail me at david.plummer@daumcommercial.com

Forum Member
    Thanks for the other replies too. Good to have options in case Ian gouges me (JU-U-U-ST KIDDING, IAN!)...

Forum Member
    Kottke, I'm interested -- how much would one of these decals cost me?

P.S. This all begs the question: All other things being equal, does beefier neck = beefier tone? I guess I'm about to find out...
    Last edited by Zhangliqun; 05-08-2003 at 09:50 AM.

Originally posted by Zhangliqun
    P.S. This all begs the question: All other things being equal, does beefier neck = beefier tone? I guess I'm about to find out...
    In my experience, beefier necks DO = beefier tone.
    Last edited by LightninBoy; 05-08-2003 at 11:35 AM.
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."

Forum Member
    Hey Z, feel free to e-mail me!

Living in the body that is now called "grito"
    Originally posted by Zhangliqun
    -- how much would one of these decals cost me?
    Ahmmm. I might "cough" have what you're after...:tw59
    Last edited by Ace; 05-09-2003 at 07:42 AM.

Forum Member
    ACE, e-mail me at the address above (in one of my previous posts in this thread).

LIGHTNIN BOY, that's what I'm thinking. It's been my experience too, but since it's just anecdotal, I thought I'd throw it out there for the more scientific among us to hold forth.

KOTTKE, how do I get your e-mail address?
    Last edited by Zhangliqun; 05-09-2003 at 08:32 AM.

Living in the body that is now called "grito"
    You gots mail...

Forum Member
    Z: simply click on the purple "e-mail" block below any of my posts!

Hey guys sorry I missed this one. Thanks for the acknowledgment.

I will be making some necks in limited quantities. At first I am only doing rosewood slab board S and T styles. The profile will be big. 1" at the heel, and .900-.920 at the 1st fret.
    I am tooling up at my shop for this project,and should have some available in about a month.

I have some S and T styles coming with some great Cocobolo. This stuff was imported in the early '80s when Scott Lentz introduced it to Jose Oribe who popularized it's use on acoustic back and sides. Cocobolo is a Retusa like Brazilian. It has the same feel, looks very close with a bit more color.
    The standard fretboards will be Indian. .187 thick like the originals.

Forum Member
    Ian (& Co.), catch me up some on all this luthier-talk. S vs. T, does that mean how you mount the fingerboard slab on the neck? Or what?

S or T???

That would be "Strat" or "Tele" I presume...

Yes S and T refer to Strat and Tele.

Forum Member
    No, no, NOOOO -- that's TOO OBVIOUS!!! That's what they're EXPECTING you to think!!!

(ahem)...

I feel really dumb about now...

Welcome to the club...

S means I glue the fingerboard on a Saturday or Sunday. T means I glue it on a Tuesday or Thursday.
    Of course the planets need to be aligned. :)

Forum Member

Speaking of fat necks...

...does anyone have the exact depth of an OLD Beck neck at, say, the nut and 12th frets?