Thread: MUST HAVE Pedals for Initial Setup: Fender S/S Combo Amp

MUST HAVE Pedals for Initial Setup: Fender S/S Combo Amp

OK, guys, what pedals are a MUST for my initial setup?

I play Classic Rock and Blues on a Fender 3-channel (clean, drive and more drive) s/s combo amp. I like the BOSS products, IF they'll do the job; otherwise, I'm open to suggestions. Also, I'd like to stay in the sub-$100 per pedal range, if possible.

I already have a BOSS TU-2 tuner. Good, right?

I'm thinking Chorus and Delay, right? BOSS CH-1 or CE-5? BOSS DD-3 or DD-6?

I don't think I'll need a Distortion box because the Fender can make some serious crunch on its own. Any thoughts?

Do I need a Compression Sustainer? BOSS CS-3?

Do I need a Shifter? BOSS PS-5?

Thanks for your help.

Re: MUST HAVE Pedals for Initial Setup: Fender S/S Combo Amp

if you're really serious about tone you probably dont want to use the fender's stock drive... their solid state is notoriously bad... Which model is it?

classic rock and blues?

Digitech Bad Monkey OR Boss Blues Driver (BD-2) for distortion

for delay I like the Digitech Digidelay, they can be had for 50 on ebay.

you don't really need chorus for blues/classic rock... but the CH-1 is plenty. I had the CE-5 and it was too much.

maybe a Wah? crybabys are cheap as crap... also sound like crap though...

you don't NEED any of this though. these are just suggestions... I'll give the form-letter answer before others do: buy a better amp and you won't need any pedals!

If money is an issue though, probably the Bad Monkey and the Digidelay will get you what you need, especially if your amp has reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by CzarSketch View Post
    if you're really serious about tone you probably dont want to use the fender's stock drive... their solid state is notoriously bad... Which model is it?

classic rock and blues?

Digitech Bad Monkey OR Boss Blues Driver (BD-2) for distortion

for delay I like the Digitech Digidelay, they can be had for 50 on ebay.

you don't really need chorus for blues/classic rock... but the CH-1 is plenty. I had the CE-5 and it was too much.

maybe a Wah? crybabys are cheap as crap... also sound like crap though...

you don't NEED any of this though. these are just suggestions... I'll give the form-letter answer before others do: buy a better amp and you won't need any pedals!

If money is an issue though, probably the Bad Monkey and the Digidelay will get you what you need, especially if your amp has reverb.
    I have the Fender 212R and it's got plenty crunch in the Drive and More Drive Channels. Really. I don't think I need a distortion pedal. Yet.

Thanks for the "heads up" on the Chorus.

What's a good Wah pedal that won't break my bank?

Yep, I got reverb.

Thanks...

I have a Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95, they retail for 70 and can be had on ebay for 50. i've modified mine, I don't like the way ANY wah's sound stock, but thats MHO.

The suggestion on the distortion pedal was because the FM212R's drive, while crunchy, isn't really all that great... i'd use a bad monkey or something similar on the clean channel and kinda forget about the drive channels...

Quote Originally Posted by CzarSketch View Post
    I have a Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95, they retail for 70 and can be had on ebay for 50. i've modified mine, I don't like the way ANY wah's sound stock, but thats MHO.

The suggestion on the distortion pedal was because the FM212R's drive, while crunchy, isn't really all that great... i'd use a bad monkey or something similar on the clean channel and kinda forget about the drive channels...
    I will take your suggestions under advisement. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 98tourer View Post
    What's a good Wah pedal that won't break my bank?
    I like my Crybaby a lot. sounds just right to me. But if you want a bit better, smoother wah sound, perhaps the Vox V847 wah. It's right around $100, I believe.

You really don't need chorus that badly. You might want to consider a rackmount delay, too, if you're putting it in the loop (which is where it belongs when you're using amp gain.)

Here's a new wrinkle - with your clean/drive/more drive you've got overdrive and distortion textures handled...but how about fuzz? I'd recommend a Big Muff or the "Little" Big Muff.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."