Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe mods!

Forum Member

My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe mods!

Hi everyone,

I've just finished some mods to my HRDlx that I want to share.

I bought my amp used almost a year ago.
    - The first thing I had to change has been the speaker: the original speaker was broken (it produced a kind of distortion when playing bass notes), so I decided to go for a Celestion Vintage 30, as it is my favourite speaker and it is also stock on the limited edition version of this amp. Very helpful to smooth out the sound (I really hate shrill sounds), very useful for distorted tones.
    - Next I changed the tubes, as they still were the stock ones (the amp is from 1998) and I had read about how much the sound of this amp could improve. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, I had just bought the new speaker, so I chose Electro-Harmonix for all the tubes, because I read a lot and they seemed to have the best quality/price ratio. I got a 12AT7 for V3 (the phase inverter), to tame the volume a bit. Compared to the stock tubes, the sound did improve, but it was almost a year ago, so I don't remember. Not a radical change at all, though.

Now the most recent mods.
    NOTE: I didn't want to mess with taking the board out of the chassis, so I worked on the components side of the PCB. Whenever possible I soldered new components in parallel to the existing ones (for example to increase a cap value or decrease a resistor value). When not, I cut the component pretty near its body, in order to leave a long bit of the component leg to solder the new component to. This way my mods are all easily reversible.

- I did the reverb mod http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_hol...b.html#dallman. This is a must, IMO. Now the reverb is much more usable.
    - Changed C11 (390p) to 1n. Now more highs are shunt to ground at the end of the drive channel.
    - Changed C1 (47u) to 22u. A bit less bass and gain are fed to the following stages.
    - Added a 10n cap in parallel to C23 (1.5n). More bass to the drive channel.
    - Added a 180k resistor in parallel to R9 (220k) in order to get 100k here. This way less highs are blocked at the beginning of the clean channel (note that as a collateral effect you also get more gain, as we're reducing a resistor between gain stages).
    - Added a 470k resistor in parallel to R12 (130k) in order to get 100k, the standard value in Fender tone stacks. However, after checking again with the Tone Stack Calculator, I realized this mod increases bass and bass-mids (I had inverted the curves in my mind) rather than decreases them. So I might go back to 130k.
    - I tried cutting R105 out, because it looks like an added component to the standard Fender tone stack, but I ended up soldering it again into place, because its role is to tame the bass a bit. I also read in another thread of this forum that it is better to keep it.
    - Unfortunately, I couldn't do the middle pot mod (soldering the wiper to the bass-pot-side leg) because the big C6 cap in front of it isn't letting my soldering-pen tip go there. This is a pity, as that mod allows a better control over the overwelming bass of this amp. Edit: my recent thoughts about this mod in the following thread: http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...d.php?p=448875
    - I added a 22u cap in parallel to C8 (1u). I did this because I noticed the More Drive setting was harsher than the normal Drive. As the More Drive differs from the normal Drive setting by two added cathode bypass caps (C8 and C9) in the last two gain stages, I thought this was the culprit, because I know that a cathode bypass cap smaller than 22u alters the frequency response of the gain stage (the smaller the cap, the more you have an increase in gain only for treble frequencies). C9 was already 22u, so no problems there.
    I'm happy with this mod, now the More Drive is really an extension of the Drive setting. You also get even more maximum gain in More Drive: I like this, because it allows me to keep the drive knob lower, so I have a bigger highs-blocking effect from that pot.

Most of this mods are inspired from the Blues Deluxe schematic, but also from other Fender amp schematics. I played a Blues Deville 4x10" once at a gig and I think its clean sound was superior to the HRDlx, although it also had different speakers.
    As you can see, the aim of these mods is to reduce the bass/increase the highs in the clean channel and to increase the bass/reduce the highs in the drive channel. This is to cure the harsh sounding drive channel (most of all) and the rather dark sounding clean channel. As most of the circuit is shared between the two channels, I decided to give priority to the clean channel, which is the one I use more because I mostly have pedals for my distorted tones. At the same time, I tried to give the clean channel more sparkle in order to be able to keep the treble and presence knobs lower, as this improves the drive channel tone.

I'm very happy with my mods!! The clean channel improved and, most of all, the drive channel is now more than usable. I'm looking forward to trying my amp loud at a gig to confirm the improvement.

Thanks for reading this, I hope it will be helpful to someone!

Giulio

Edit: I played the amp extensively today and I'm really stunned with the improvement in sound!! Now my strat really plays like a strat, both clean and "drived" (the stock amp didn't do its justice)!! I was about to change its neck single coil but now I'm happy again!
    Last edited by shredgd; 11-16-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Re: My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe mods!

Dude - you may not like the sort of comments your post is likely to attract - I had a HRDv of the same age and it just fell apart - good luck to you though...

Hi shredgd, hi forum

I made nearly the same changes with slightly other values because I have JJ tubes and a Jensen C12N.

I only have one other mod at the R45. At the side that comes from the Master-Pot I soldered a 50k trimmer and at the other side a 100K trimmer. The ohter ends I soldered together and from that join a 22nF to Mass.

the 50k trimmer is set to 32k this means ~225 Hz low-pass and with the 100k you can tame the horrible highs. If then the normal drive (not the mor drive) is not sparkling enough add a capacitor in parallel to R24 I used 5.6nF .

So I could revers the C11 mod.

Now the drive channel has nearly the same sound as the clean channel when I turn the Guitar down. A little bit mor britisch sounding. And the more drive is fat and creamy.
    equipment: american dlx strat & noiseless protone light Squier Tele & Hoyer Les Paul & Takamine accustic, two modded HRDLX giging-one all with JJ's:ECC81=>ECC83S=>ECC81=>6V6 into Jensen C12N and R102 & R45 & C11-mod and a Korg AX3000G only for effects between pre-out and power-in the other with TAD-6L6GC and IsoPhon 3037 alnico speaker and sag-mod and R102 & R45 & C11 & R69-mod for home and studio use

Forum Member

Hi,

I'm glad we came up with similar solutions.
    Your R45 mod is a bit unclear to me, though. Why two trimpots? You should get a high cut as well by adding only one, with the cap to ground... am I wrong?

I like the R24 mod a lot!
    It solves the problem of the normal drive channel being too dark because of the high cut necessary for the more drive.
    I think I will try it (as soon as I'll play the amp loud again with my mods and I'll see what is left to improve!).

By the way, the more drive sound of this amp is not defined on the bass; it is somewhat similar to a fuzz, I mean you can't do metal palm muting (even though it's got all the necessary gain!). I realize it would change the character of the clean channel as well (because of the shared circuitry), but do you know how one could (teorically) mod an amp to sound more defined on the bass?

Giulio

Forum Member

Hi Giulio,

I find very interesting your mods. I've got a HRDlx with a Celestion V30 too and was planning to do the unnoficial HRD web mods one by one to improve the amp sound, but i've seen yours are not the same mods. Are yours better? I see both try to brigth the clean chanel and improve the drive ones, where's the difference?

thank you!

Hi Giulio,

I take trimmpotis for canging the values on the fly. And yes it is more a High-Cut at the R45. Its a Y with the pots in the arms and the Cap in the leg. and between the "arms" is the R45. If You want to take normal resistors start with following values: for the front end 33k an for the end going to the relay/switch 68k.
    In that place i soldered a "contur"-securit but it worked not so good because it was originaly from the solid state Deluxe 112. So I reduces the securit at first to two capacitors and two pots. And 3h later I had only one Capacitor and two pots. The R45 is one Resistor of a Voltage-Divider and the Highcut is more efficient behind the R45 than before. It makes a different sound than two Pots and two caps. I tried a ton of values
    Now the amp ist in te practice room from the band (yes the one on the photo) and is awaiting to be played. A lot of things in the Sound are better now, but I am sure it will be opened by me.

I forgotten to say I prefer a JJ ECC81 (12AT7) µ=60 for V1. Keeps away a lot of mud in the Drive section.
    V2: JJ ECC83 S (12AX7)
    V3: ECC81 (12AT7)
    V4+5: JJ 6V6 biased at 90%, ca. 58mV

My C11 mod was 1,5nF in Series to a 250kPot(set to 120k-150k) in parallel to C11. Very like yours.
    equipment: american dlx strat & noiseless protone light Squier Tele & Hoyer Les Paul & Takamine accustic, two modded HRDLX giging-one all with JJ's:ECC81=>ECC83S=>ECC81=>6V6 into Jensen C12N and R102 & R45 & C11-mod and a Korg AX3000G only for effects between pre-out and power-in the other with TAD-6L6GC and IsoPhon 3037 alnico speaker and sag-mod and R102 & R45 & C11 & R69-mod for home and studio use

Quote Originally Posted by Alcaraz View Post
    Hi Giulio,

I find very interesting your mods. I've got a HRDlx with a Celestion V30 too and was planning to do the unnoficial HRD web mods one by one to improve the amp sound, but i've seen yours are not the same mods. Are yours better? I see both try to brigth the clean chanel and improve the drive ones, where's the difference?

thank you!
    Hi Alcaraz,

some of the unnoficial HRD web mods are superb. At first the Reverb mod.
    Some other mods are not so good I think the C23 mod to fatten up the drive cannel but it makes the distortion sounding bad. To much distortion in the interferences of minor chords. For that make a high cut at C11 or the other mod shown above in the postings.

Instead of a C1 mod (half the value of the cap) you can plug in a lower Gain Tube (12AT7 or ECC81) in V1.

Personaly I like to short R102 results in a high boost in normal and drive but not in more drive.

You have to try them all if You like. Tastes are different.

I never tried the C8 mod. I can read the plans and now I understand what will happen if I change a value. C8 makes a high boost above 106 Hz to bring down distortion in the interferences. For example if You bent some tone to the same on the next string. This wawawawa wa wa wa wa wa wa in tune in the Background of the tones from the two strings. To beware these wa-wa-s from distortion there was a C8.

Forum Member

Hi ˛Thom,

I didn't mean "why trimpots" but "why two of them" instead of only one trimpot + the cap to ground (either before or after R45)... It probably gives you different results in terms of tone: could you explain me why/how/which?

About C11: yes, we made something very similar. I decided to go directly with a new 1n cap instead of a cap + trimpot combo because I like simple things and I also didn't want trimpots flying around inside my amp: I gig with this amp, so I need things to be tight inside it...!

For Alcaraz:

I decided to go for my own mods because the ones at the unofficial HRDlx webpage are somewhat more tricky, because they involve major disassembly, added components/pots, etc... I thought one could improve things by simply altering the values of the original components... and it works!
    Of course I cannot say mine are better mods, because I didn't try those other mods. Mine do not involve adding pots, so you can't have a "continuous" control over your mod, you have to go by trial and error and see what is the best value for any given component. At the same time, my mods are very easy and quick to do, they do not need you to take the PCB out of the chassis, you won't have to find a place to secur the trimpots inside the amp or to drill new holes for pots.
    I came up to my mods by looking at this and other schematics, and by reflecting over the meaning of each component inside the HRDlx.
    I made a quick description of each mod in my first post. If you need some more explanations about their meaning you're free to ask!

I, too, enjoyed repairing and modifying my HRDlx, and did most if what's been talked about here:

Lots of fun. However, one word of caution, the PCBs are fragile and can't take too many mods. Even left alone, the PCBs are not very sturdy considering the way the circuit is designed.

In the end, I did the ULTIMATE HRDlx mod, it's perfect now.
    Last edited by NTBluesGuitar; 12-30-2007 at 04:25 PM.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Sorry, I had a problem with my post, read below.
    Last edited by shredgd; 11-23-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ˛Thom View Post
    You have to try them all if You like. Tastes are different.
    ˛Thom is right, you have to try and see what you like.

Some other mods are not so good I think the C23 mod to fatten up the drive cannel but it makes the distortion sounding bad. To much distortion in the interferences of minor chords. For that make a high cut at C11 or the other mod shown above in the postings.
    I know the C23 mod increases intermodulation distortion, but I think it is necessary to have a larger value cap there to avoid the excessive low-cut.

Instead of a C1 mod (half the value of the cap) you can plug in a lower Gain Tube (12AT7 or ECC81) in V1.
    The C1 mod is not primarily for gain, it is most of all because it reduces bass. However, a lot of people found a 12AT7 is a good fit for V1.

Personaly I like to short R102 results in a high boost in normal and drive but not in more drive.
    I think you are wrong: shorting R102 results in a fixed high boost when you engage the bright switch, both for the clean and for the drive/more drive channel.

I never tried the C8 mod. I can read the plans and now I understand what will happen if I change a value. C8 makes a high boost above 106 Hz to bring down distortion in the interferences. For example if You bent some tone to the same on the next string. This wawawawa wa wa wa wa wa wa in tune in the Background of the tones from the two strings. To beware these wa-wa-s from distortion there was a C8.
    ??? I think I understood, anyway. Again an increase in intermodulation distortion (for the more drive only, however) with my mod, but it avoids the really unnecessary high boost in the more drive mode.

Reading again the Jame Vanden Berg mods, I'm curious to try the part of his "lead mode sparkle boost" mod which regards C3. I already thought about working on C3 to reduce high content in the drive channel (that cap forms a low-pass RC filter with R8, reducing high frequencies above 6.4k only with the drive/more drive channel). His clever mod lets you have that high-cut only with the more drive, keeping highs in the normal drive channel. However it is a bit too complicated and involved to be a "quick and easy mod" (following my phylosophy), so I'll think a lot before I'll do it. I must be sure I need more highs with the normal drive channel.

Unfortunately we only have one set of tone controls in this amp, so we must find the magic setting for the clean channel, and only then do our mods to have a balanced sound in the drive/more drive channel (this is true only for mods regarding the components exclusively used in the drive/more drive channel, of course).

Forum Member

Hey! thank you very much! ˛Thom and shredgd.

I think it's going to be harder that I thought!
    I didn't like to add pots either, so I think I'll follow your mods and see what I get. To take the PCB off you have to uscreew the controls and 6 screws, isn't it?
    So I think I'll try the middle pot mod and the bright mod (add 2 silver mica caps)
    Then I read these changes:

C5 -> 0,022uf
    C7 -> 500pf
    R12 -> 56K

what do you think about that?

˛Thom, you advice me to change C11 instead of C23 in order to get a better distorted sound?

what about C8 should I change it or not?

thank you again!

Forum Member

It won't be hard at all!!

I think you can start modding your amp without taking the PCB out, as I did.
    First of all, the mid pot mod has the disadvantage of making the mid and bass pot interactive, that is when you increase the mids you'll increase the bass, too. So, before doing that mod, to reduce the excessive bass of this amp, I suggest you to set the mid knob higher, in order to have a relative decrease in bass. Yesterday I discovered how sweet this amp can sound by placing the mid knob at 12!!

Changing C5 to 22n will decrease bass and increase mids a bit. I didn't modify C5 because 0.1u (100n) is the original value of Fender's tone stacks, so why bothering? However, theorically this mod goes in the right direction.

Reducing R12 to 56k will increase bass, mid-bass and mids. Again, you'll get farer from the original Fender's tone stacks values. This time, however, the change goes in the wrong direction, because of the increase in bass and mid-bass. I wouldn't do this.

Increasing C7 to 500p will brighten things up. Watch out! This means you'll also get more treble with the drive/more drive channel! I wouldn't do this.

I absolutely suggest you to replace C11 with a bigger cap, to have your first real and evident improvement in your distorted tone. This is the first mod I suggest you to do. Then you will see if that is enough or you have to go further (I suggest you, in sequence, to reduce R9 to 100k to brighten the clean channel only, and to increase C23 to maybe not 10n but 4.7n - this value is also suggested in the unofficial HRDlx guide, and I will probably change my 10n to that value too, now that ˛Thom scared me about intermodulation distortion... - to increase bass in the drive/more drive channel only).

Forum Member

Thank you very much for your advices shredgd!

I like the idea of starting with those easy changes. I will do it on xmas when I'm planned to replace the tubes.

One last question: which kind of caps should I use? I've heard some people saying orange drops are better for these aplications, while others say it doesn't affect.

This is how these amps get busted, and a bad rap. Cook up that pc board with these "mods", then bitch about it crapping out in a few weeks. Leave it alone, make sure to not judge it until the speaker is good and broken in, open her up and let it wail.

Or do what I did - sell it and biy a Vox AD50VT. ha!

Forum Member

A quick update about my mods.

Today I took off the 10n cap I had paralleled to C23: ˛Thom was right, it is better to keep the original value for that cap. Probably when you fix the treble harshness of the drive/more drive channel, then you don't need a bass increase anymore (it makes your bass notes mushy, kind of a fuzz face. You lose definition). Alternatively, a small increase (for example 2n) might be the perfect balance. I will come up to a stable conclusion when I will try my amp loud, so I'll see if it is ok with the original cap or not.

Today I also added another 360p cap in parallel to C11, reaching a total of 1,36n for that cap position. Now the drive/more drive channel is smooth, but again I will have to check my mod at high volumes.

Giulio

Hi shredgd,

1+

If i did a mod I test it with the Band, loud. Therefore the trimmpots. So I can reverse the Mod by dialing it out. My last Value for the C11 was 1.5nF in series to ~150k and a very dark sounding V3.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    This is how these amps get busted, and a bad rap. Cook up that pc board with these "mods", then bitch about it crapping out in a few weeks.

More like "these things crap out all by themselves. They don't need any additional help."
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Anohter wide Field for mods is R69 - th coupling resistor between secondary wire from the tone-transformer to the input of the power amp or better the Presence-cicurit.

Try a cap parallel or in series to it (gives more bass). In series is not difficult. Its the grey thin cable from the Ext. Speaker - Jack.

If the Value of R69 gets to high or much to low, the Presence control wouldn't work propper anymore.

The higher the value the more the sound is getting "british". (as a fender can do so?!?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    This is how these amps get busted, and a bad rap. Cook up that pc board with these "mods", then bitch about it crapping out in a few weeks. Leave it alone, make sure to not judge it until the speaker is good and broken in, open her up and let it wail.

Or do what I did - sell it and biy a Vox AD50VT. ha!
    Hi Hutch,

the PCB is industry standard 1.5 mm Epoxy with 35 or 50 µ copper layer and if the solderjoints of the mods on top of the board are propper they are rock solid.
    The problem is that the PCB is verical and not horizontal and the Resistants for the +-16V are getting to hot

I dont know why Fender uses Sovtek tubes JJ are cheaper and better and the speaker (125 (no)legend ) is crap I prefer Jensen C12N.

Now my HRDLx has a crisp, tight low end clean a thick drive (from SRV to Hendrix) which is very controlable by guitar volume and a creamy (garry moore like) more drive without any extra pedal in front of it.

Therefore we are modding.

If you are bying an 22-40W amp fore 2500 bucks there is no need for modding but a HRDLx (600$) with other tubes (JJ's all ~60$), a speaker (100$) and 3 mods (reverb, R24 and R45) (3$) it sounds pretty the same.

So what is Fender doing? They couldn't sell a 700$ amp that is sounding better than their 1500$ Amps. Its the same with Squire-Guitars the wood is good, the hardware is cheap but ok and the pickups are super shitty. So what are you doing with a Sqire-Guitar? put in some original PU's and its sounding like the original.

So Mery Cristmas to you all and a good start into the new Year!

Here are my Hot Rod Deluxe mods. The sound is very smooth and even (no more ice picks!), the clean tone sounds like a Twin (without the twang), and you can actually work with the drive channels for a change! Tubes: V1-JJ ECC83S; V2-JJ ECC832; V3-Mullard 4024 AT7; JJ 6L6's for the power tubes. Speaker: Jensen 12-70 Mod 8 ohm. Cost of mods: < $170 (take that Celestion!). It's a really nice sound for a MIM amplifier. Best, Malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by mgm7810 View Post
    Cost of mods: < $170 (take that Celestion!).
    My mods cost about that and I got a Tweed Pro out of it.

Last edited by NTBluesGuitar; 12-30-2007 at 04:55 PM.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Looks nice! What kind of power tubes are those?

Those are SED Winged C 6L6GCs. Very nice, but they bias differently than a lot of other 6L6GCs.

-Edmund Burke

I bet it sounds sweet. I am tempted to convert to Yellow-Jackets for that EL34 type of sound, but I am happy with my rig the way it is. How does that Patriot speaker sound? I'm speculating that it's similar to an old Jensen sound.

The Eminence Patriots are amazing...right out of the box and for the price. They're my new favorite.

Not sure if I'd call it an 'Old Jensen' sound, but it was the right sound for my tweed build. I would suggest the Texas Heat for your Hot Rod Deluxe.

-Edmund Burke

Hey gang: here's a question for yall (and please don't respond with "trash the Hot Rod Deluxe," because I don't own a lemon HRDlx). I am contemplating replacing some electronic components to my HRDlx, as I am currently in the process of overhauling my '66 Bassman with new electronic parts. Are there any electronic components recommended over the HRDlx stock parts? I really don't like it when an amp breaks down (it is sort of like when your car breaks down). Thanks! Malcolm

If you look up in post #9, I posted a pic of my Hot Rod with my mods.

Replacing the tone stack caps and phase inverter caps with higher quality makes for a difference. In that pic, I used Sprague OD 715 series, but I would suggest the 225 instead if you want Sprague ODs.

Otherwise, try some Mallory caps in those areas.

Also, increase the value of C23 to taste. It helps the drive channels.

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by mgm7810 View Post
    Hey gang: here's a question for yall (and please don't respond with "trash the Hot Rod Deluxe," because I don't own a lemon HRDlx). I am contemplating replacing some electronic components to my HRDlx, as I am currently in the process of overhauling my '66 Bassman with new electronic parts.
    The boards appear to be fragile enough that I wouldn't recommend replacing parts just for replacing parts sake. The parts themselves aren't the weak link, it's the general construction. I'd advise against it, unless you're pretty confident in your PCB soldering skills, and know specifically what you want to do.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    My mods cost about that and I got a Tweed Pro out of it.

NTB, that layout looks so nicely done - wish I had your skills with a soldering iron and tube circuit...

I've always jonesed for a tweed vibrolux or tremolux, myself...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

DAMN NTB. That is a freakin' flawless wiring job there.

If that was my amp I'd put a clear plexiglas cover on the back.

Outstanding work.

hey NTB. What would you charge to do something like for me if I were to pick up an HRDlx/deville? I live in Lewisville. That looks amazing. And, for the money it would cost me to move into a DRRI, I assume that I could buy one used and then look into a change like that.

If you'd be into something like that. Feel free to email me at chumpster@gmail.com.

Forum Member

NTBG, if you have any more pics of your "Ultimate HRDx Mod" can you send them to me? I would really like to see them. You can email me at hippiebob01@aol.com.

kcwm, if you're in need of a hand-wired tweed circuit, it's probably easier and cheaper to purchase the proper kit and have someone build it for you.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Well, Rickenjangle, if you score a Hot Rod for anything less than $400 and buy all the parts I used, you come out well ahead from a similar kit (Tweed Pro is $620 at Weber). That's the main reason I worked out my build re-using all the same iron and hardware.

But you're right...it doesn't make sense to do this to a new, more expensive working amp. It sure is fun though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    I've always jonesed for a tweed vibrolux or tremolux, myself...
    I'm currently planning out a '63 Brown Vibroverb. Just building it with the vibrato channel and a bright switch (takes one tube out of the question), and I'm going to build it into a narrow panel tweed cab; 2x10.

Hippiebob, Boobtube, and Kwcm...I thought I posted that pic before... regardless, thanks for the compliments! It's my favorite amp so far...and I've got a 5F1 I built, and played a few SF reverb amps.

As far as other images....they're around TFF somewhere. Here's one with the faceplate I had made:
    http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...5&postcount=24

I think there's sound clips of it here:
    http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35879

There's the original thread where I shared the prototyping process with help from all the groovy TFF'ers around too. Search and you will be rewarded.
    Last edited by NTBluesGuitar; 01-02-2008 at 08:32 AM.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Hello,
    Shredgd,˛Thom, what about those mods? I'm going to order some components and I'd like to know if the values are correct:

C11 -> 1,5nF (less highs for the drive)
    C1 -> 22uf (less bass for the clean)
    R9 -> 100k (more brigth for the clean)
    Short R102 (add gain to Clean and drive -not more drive-)
    Cut R103 (improve reverb)

That's all isn't it? My V1 is a TAD 12AY7, should I leave the original C1 value?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Alcaraz; 02-18-2008 at 04:35 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alcaraz View Post
    Hello,
    Shredgd,˛Thom, what about those mods? I'm going to order some components and I'd like to know if the values are correct:

C11 -> 1,5nF (less highs for the drive)
    C1 -> 22uf (less bass for the clean)
    R9 -> 100k (more brigth for the clean)
    Short R102 (add gain to Clean and drive -not more drive-)
    Cut R103 (improve reverb)

That's all isn't it? My V1 is a TAD 12AY7, should I leave the original C1 value?

Thank you!
    Order a 1n cap for C11, as well, so you can decide if 1,5nF is too much or not.

If I were you, I wouldn't leave the original C1 value even with that lower gain tube in V1. But I've never tried a lower tube in V1 so I'm only talking by theory: 22u is the standard Fender (and not only) value for that cap. Why keeping that oversized 47u?

Shorting R102 won't give you what you said, but it will only make the bright switch active for the drive/more drive channel as well. I don't think that is desirable, because we all agree the drive/more drive channel is too bright to begin with, so keeping the bright switch a clean-only feature might be more useful (as a stock feature the bright is automatically turned off when you use the drive/more drive channel; this might allow you to keep a darker equalization in order to make the drive/more drive channel better sounding, without sacrifying the clean channel highs. Anyway I personally don't use/like the bright switch at all).

Giulio

Forum Member

Thank you Giulio! I'll leave R102 then.

For C11 I'm thinking about putting a cap in parallel so I'll order a

610 pF cap (390p//610p = 1nF)

and a 1,1nF cap (390p//1,1n)

do you think it's better to change the original cap instead of adding another in parallel?

Forum Member

Parallel is fine, it allows you to go back to stock whenever you want.
    As you can read above, I actually got almost all my new values for caps and resistors by using parallels...!

Giulio

Forum Member

Thanks Giulio!

I see I'll have to cut out C1 (47uF) and replace it for a 22uF CAP as I can't add anything in parallel.

I have read some mods for the tone stage such as:

Treble cap: C7 (250pF) -> 500pF
    Bas cap: C5 (0.1uF) -> 0,022uF
    R12 (130k) -> 56k

what do you think about them?