Thread: A/B/C (and possibly /D) switcher.

A/B/C (and possibly /D) switcher.

Ok,

Let's say i've got two amps, a 5F6-A for loud cleans, a 5E3 for dirt and I run a boost into the 5E3 for dirt.
    I know could just use an a/b switcher and jump on the boost for lead parts but if I wanted to accomplish it using three switches (one for each channel; clean, dirty and boost) how could I do it?
    The problem i'm having is that I can't think of any way to make the switches disengage each other (if I want to jump from clean to lead and have previously been playing dirty for instance), if you follow my train of thought.

The 'D' would be for a tuner out.

Hmmmm, any ideas?
    I should probably just fugettaboutit and use an a/b switcher but hey, I like building things!

Tommy.

Re: A/B/C (and possibly /D) switcher.

The problem is the boost. It would need to open the switch to the clean amp (if it was closed) and close the switch to the dirty amp (if it was open). And maybe close the switch to the tuner.

You need a box that allows the switches for the 5E3 and the boost to be closed at the same time. ABY boxes do that, but only for two outputs, not the four you are thinking about.

Look at the Morley ABC and it's schematic. It allows any combination of the three including all three. I bet you can add another layer to the logic of the schematic to extend it to four switches.

Schematic: http://www.morleypedals.com/abces.pdf
    Morley ABC: http://www.morleypedals.com/dabc.html

A very simple approach might be to use two A/B switches and one ABY switch. If you use the one button type A/B and only the Y button of the ABY (A+B), you could do it with just three buttons...

First button switches between
    [A] the tuner labeled "TUNER"
    [B] the second A/B switch labeld "AMPS"

Second button switches between
    [A] the clean amp labeled "CLEAN"
    [B] the ABY switch labeled "DIRTY"

The third button switches the "Both" Y on
    [A] the dirty amp (leave on all the time, don't even need to have a button)
    [B] Boost (never push this, don't need the button)
    [Y] Both (adds boost to the dirty amp) labeled "BOOST"

This would allow that at any time one push of the first button will provide you the tuner, second push to return to the previous setting.

One push to switch between amps.

One push to boost the dirty amp, and you can leave the boost on or off when switching to the clean amp and if you switch back to the dirty amp the boost will be set on or off however you left it.

All of this could be built into a single box with three buttons instead of four labeled "Tuner/Amps" "Clean/Dirty" and "Boost".

Of course hitting Boost while playing the clean amp or hitting the Clean/Dirty while tuning would do no harm, it would just change the setting for when you got back to them. Adding LEDs would keep it all straight.
    Last edited by pauln; 11-11-2007 at 10:45 PM.