Thread: Fender Blues Jr. Reverb Tank is BROKEN

Forum Member

Fender Blues Jr. Reverb Tank is BROKEN

Hello.

I purchased a used amp on ebay for cheap... I missed the old Fender sound after I had to get rid of my Hot Rod DeVille a few years back - it got stuck in California due to a very unprofessional tour I got myself into.

Anyway... I know this isn't the best example of a Fender amp, but I do want to fix the Reverb Tank if possible. It appears that the RCA connector cables are fine and going into the chassis; however, looking at the tank that I took apart, there are a few green cables that look like they never got soldered to anything - and maybe somehow they should be attached to those springs??? I'm no electrician by any means, and I can't seem to find a picture or schematic online. Can someone please advise?

Also... anyway to advise me how to get this thing a little bit quieter? Does it just need new tubes, or what gives? It's always got a hum to it, and I can't figure out why.

Sorry for the idiot questions... just looking for the experts around.

Thanks for any help! =)

Brad

Forum Member

Re: Fender Blues Jr. Reverb Tank is BROKEN

A loud 60 hz hum can be bad filter capacitors. They are the big can looking devices mounted on the chassis. Usually they are leaking electrolyte and it can be seen around the base. Check for ripple with an oscilloscope or meter with an output scale.

As far as the reverb goes, if you have any spare tubes, now would be the time to try them in the reverb slot if you haven't already. If you don't have any spares, you can try swapping the existing ones around back there with the reverb slot and see what you get. Beyond that I can't help you, I'm not much of a tech...

Is this hum more of a "buzz"? If it is in fact a hum, see if it is more or less in tune with a B or B flat note. That would point you in the direction of 60 cycle hum, thus potentially the filter caps? Seems weird for an amp so young to have bad filter caps. Though i guess if it was a '95, and most electrolytics are supposed to have a shelf life of 15 years or so...

Ha ha I just realized this thread is almost 2 years old! I wonder if he ever got that sorted out...

TFF Stage Crew

There is no reverb tube in a Blues Jr. as the 'verb is solid state. Hopefully he's just using the thing as a jack stand, anyhow.

LOL! or by now parlayed it into another amp.

Forum Member

It's interesting to me, a new person in this community, that the OP didn't get any response. The OP went to the trouble of taking the tank out and examined it. Doesn't seem bogus to me. Maybe I'm wrong. Art