Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How come vintage mustang are cheap?

How come vintage mustang are cheap?

it's like, you can get a 196X mustang for 1000 dollars. Ain't it cheap for a vintage guitar?

Forum Member

Re: How come vintage mustang are cheap?

The mustang was originally produced as a cheaper starter guitar, a step above the music master and bronco, but a step below the telecaster and stratocaster. some had 22.5" scale necks (which could be upgraded to a 24" scale neck, same as a jaguar). im not an expert on these, so others may be able to help more than i.

Gravity Jim

They're cheap (if you can call $1,000 for a student model guitar "cheap") because there are no photos of SRV or Hendrix playing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    They're cheap (if you can call $1,000 for a student model guitar "cheap") because there are no photos of SRV or Hendrix playing one.

and the winner is........................JIM

come on down.
    Imanidiot.

i had a mustang for a bit, and actually liked the musicmaster i had immediately after that better (go figure).the musicmaster had a single dogear P-90 and a gibson-branded bigsby. AND it stayed in tune. cool, lol.

you see, in the late 80's and early 90's it actually *was* cool to have these guitars, if you were new-rockers, that is. the then-no-names such as kurt cobain often played the lesser fender guitars, who, aside from what you might think of him, left quite a speed bump in the history of rock.

Forum Member

Damn right GJ. Maybe Leon Hendrix will come out with a Fender Swinger and a story of how Jimi breathed on it. I can see prices rising 300%...

Gravity Jim

toobalicious, I agree... but Nirvana-heads don't have vintage money yet. Wait til the Gen X fans of Kurt (who I admired greatly as a songwriter, I might add) are in their 50's and selling their internet businesses. Those pics of him and Liz Phair will drive Jag-stang prices through the roof.

Forum Member

I think I'll start up a racket of buying up cheap old Fenders, photo-shopping pics of Stevie Ray holding them, then selling them on eBay.

"This Bullet is the exact same model Stevie Ray appears to be holding in this photo."
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

'cause I still have mine. Once I sell it, they will be worth a mint and I'll be kicking myself.

toobalicious, I agree... but Nirvana-heads don't have vintage money yet. Wait til the Gen X fans of Kurt (who I admired greatly as a songwriter, I might add) are in their 50's and selling their internet businesses. Those pics of him and Liz Phair will drive Jag-stang prices through the roof.
    Good point, GJ.

Forum Member

I'm afraid by the time my generation gets to our 50's the demand for vintage guitars will be way down. The popularity of hip-hop/Rap, and computer technology will be the reasons. Most kids think that the Computer itself is the only instrument they need, and would prefer to play that game on PS2 instead of playing a real guitar. The type of people most of us are, is becoming more rare. People would rather buy another one thats pretty, then fix, or god forbid try to understand and repair what wrong with what they have.

I think right now is the best time to be selling Vintage gear, the Baby boomers have got the money and want that piece of Nostalgia. Blues players are getting more and more scarce, how many are left compared to the 80's??

As this continues, the "golden age" of the electic guitar will make it way into the History books. I hope as this happens the prices drop and the collectors don't have the incentive to buy everything and throw them in a vault.

The whole thing sucks, but I can't really see it happening any other way.

That is also a good point about our society changing, Victorilux.

But I would think there will always be some tweakers that like building/fixing/collecting old crap. There has to be a group of "hands-on" type individuals to keep inventing/building new things, and likewise there will be people that are like them, but prefer the old stuff.

Plus, I think everyone when they hit a certain point in their lives, will still yearn for a simpler time--most likely the era of their childhood--and some will want to start collecting items that define that era. Out of those people, there will still be the wealthy ones who drive up the price of the most desirable collector's items, which as Jim points out, for my generation will most likely be stuff associated with Kurt Cobain and the grunge/punk revival of the 90s.

Seriously, because of this thread I'm considering dirt-farming a Mustang or Jag-stang or two. And everyone on TFF in 30 years will hate my guts when I get the inflation-adjusted ballpark of $500,000 a pop for 'em.

"Did you see that Jag-stang on Ebay? The bids are up to $450,000, these people are out of their minds! And that guy Boobtube21 is a bastard!"

"Yeah it sux man I remenber when those things where cheap as hell rotflol. Hey have you herd the new HRDxRI it's awesome!!!!!!!
    "

Why is a Chevette cheaper than a Corvette?

I had a '66 Mustang. It was no Strat or Tele, that's for sure!

$1000 for a Mustang is expensive as hell.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by boobtube21 View Post

"Did you see that Jag-stang on Ebay? The bids are up to $450,000, these people are out of their minds! And that guy Boobtube21 is a bastard!"

"Yeah it sux man I remenber when those things where cheap as hell rotflol. Hey have you herd the new HRDxRI it's awesome!!!!!!!
    "
    And they'll all be sayin "LOOK AT HOW THICK THAT PCB IS!"

There will still be us tweekers out there, but I think alot less of us in my Generation. I think I have 3 friends who know what a mutlimeter is, 2 that know how to use it, and 1 that knows how to use it properly

All the more good stuff for us I says....

How's the price on Duo-Sonics doing these days?

http://www.jimihendrix.dk/index.php?lang=en&page=gear

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post

If you ever owned a chevette, this would not be asked.
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Quote Originally Posted by rudutch View Post
    I think it was meant to be rhetorical.

The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama View Post
    My '66 Mustang was Dakota Red (weren't 99% of them Dakota Red?). It looked like this one except most of the gold was missing from the Fender logo and what gold was left had turned green.

Quote Originally Posted by rudutch View Post
    If you ever owned a Fender Mustang, you'd understand my comparison.

Asking why a Fender Mustang doesn't command anywhere near the value of other vintage Fender guitars is like asking why a Chevette doesn't command anywhere near the value of a Corvette.

Get it?

BTW, I have driven Chevettes and Corvettes but have not owned either of them, nor do I like either of them.

I think the Pinto was a better car that the Chevette....

The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Either way, both were ALOT more reliable than the Corvettes of the corresponding time frame

And since we are discussing this in the "other" guitar forums, I'm going to give my nod to the lovable AMC Pacer

Chevettes actually did pretty well up here in Ontario...outlasted alot of cars of that era, until the doors fell off, literally.

Very first Fender was a Musicmaster - metallic blue, tortoise-shell scratchplate with a white pickup - loved the smell when I opened that case as well - whatever happened to that smell? Now there's a question... Actually a lot of punk bands - especially the NY variety used the predecessor to the Mustang - the Duo-Sonic - I never got what all the fuss was about - and you can buy a lot of guitar for $1000 these days - paid that for my '05 USA Tele at San Ash and one day it's gonna be a great guitar - the stock bridge pup was crap but a Bulldog Classic T's sorted that out - but you can pick up a S/H Gordon-Smith GS2 here for around $500-600 and they have a 1 pc body, fixed 2 pc neck (all mahogany), great PAF style HB's and are handfinished in Lancashire... It's not a Fender but knocks the crap out of a similar year Gibbo and it's one hell of a guitar for half the bread for that 'Stang... you just have to change the machine heads which were those horrible plastic bodied Schallers (to lighten the headstock weight) put a set of lockers on it and you're away - and I doubt that Mustang's being vintage's going to make a lot of difference - that wobbly bridge's still gonna wobble in and out of tune

Perhaps, but the Vega was truly innovative.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Don't get me started on Vegas and their silicone impregnated aluminum engine blocks!
    Though, as a mechanic, there was money in them!

Don't get me started on Vegas and their silicone impregnated aluminum engine blocks!
    Why, I'm 100% natural.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Hah! Two of my sisters had Vegas as their first or second cars.

But I was talking about Boston-built Vega guitars, like the Dou-Tron.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

The Smart Filter where I work wouldn't let me open your link so I had to wing it!

Enough about Vegas, this is a mustang thread!

Boss man, boss! My fave was the first Mach I ! ! !

Forum Member

"They're cheap (if you can call $1,000 for a student model guitar "cheap") because there are no photos of SRV or Hendrix playing one"

Oh yeah?

http://cgi.ebay.com/jimi-hendrix-on-...ayphotohosting

http://www.guitar-stuff.net/2007/04/...g-guitar-sold/

Gravity Jim

That doesn't count.... That's Jim before he was Hendrix.

Forum Member

Gravity Jim,
    OK, well I'll take another approach! Mustangs are not Strats. I bought a '73 Mustang new, and it was a decent student guitar. It had a short scale length that may not be comfortable for some adults , and a vibrato that was sure to bring the guitar out of tune. I don't subscribe to the theory that you can take something mediocre, let it sit for 40 years, and now it's something special. I guess in this case, the market is supporting that viewpoint. As always, I could be wrong......

Peace. Brian

Gravity Jim

Really? Pick up any five '62 Strats and tell me how many are better than mediocre, or even as good as a modern guitar. My prediction? Maybe 1.

Are you saying that you think "vintage" Stratocastedrs come by their highly-inflated prices because they're worth it as musical instruments?

See, I think that the market IS supporting the viewpoint that you can let something mediocre sit around for 40 years and it suddenly becomes desireable. If this is not so, why are the prices of 70's Strats - the very one that were supposedly so horrible that they started the whole "vintage" craze - are now rising?

Jims' right (although I disagree with him about only 1 in 5 '62 Strats being even mediocre guitars).

I bought a barely used Tube Screamer in 1983 for $15. It was still a mediocre OD pedal when it's value increased to over $300.

Gravity Jim

Okay, two of five. IF they've been refretted. Maybe.

Funny you should mention about mediocre '62 Strats. I had the pleasure of playing one just over a week ago. A mediocre '62 Strat that is. Looked fabulous, worth a fortune, played and sounded... erm... okay I suppose.

I was handed it by the owner, and just as I was thinking 'wow, I expected this to be better' the owner piped up with, "It's nothing special is it? I bought it as an investment. To be honest I've had better Strats that were made in Mexico."

My friend has an '88 PRS. The price of those is on the increase big-time. He brought it to me for a setup and I was expecting to be completely blown away by it. And it was... erm... ok I suppose.

A good guitar is a good guitar and a mediocre guitar is a mediocre guitar. There are real gems and there are polished turds, but if they're both the same type of guitar made at the same time, and of a similar condition, you will not see a difference in price.

Quote Originally Posted by hippiebob01 View Post
    The mustang was originally produced as a cheaper starter guitar, a step above the music master and bronco, but a step below the telecaster and stratocaster. some had 22.5" scale necks (which could be upgraded to a 24" scale neck, same as a jaguar). im not an expert on these, so others may be able to help more than i.
    Actually,the guitar wouldn't intonate with the longer neck....the bridge would have to be moved.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

I had a '66 Mustang. It was no Strat or Tele, that's for sure!

$1000 for a Mustang is expensive as hell.
    wait...
    Gretch made a Chevette at some point?
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Forum Member

OK, Gravity Jim, I'm going to cry "uncle" on this one. I do think that Strats are much better guitars than Mustangs. However, on every other point, I must agree with you.

Peace. Brian