Thread: Thomas & Ginex Fret Refin Kit?

Thomas & Ginex Fret Refin Kit?

http://www.fretrefinishing.com/home.html

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm usually a little wary of "DIY EZ-Mode for cheaper!" schemes, but who knows, this might be a winner.

One of my strats is starting to show more flattening on a few frets, and I'm not up to speed on doing fret dressings myself (yet). I may just give it a go, as it's about the cost of cheap dinner for two...
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Re: Thomas & Ginex Fret Refin Kit?

I've never tried the kit, but it does appear that it will do as advertised, provided you follow the instructions and use the tools supplied. How much learning curve or experience is needed to get good results is not mentioned.

I've recently discovered that by using a fingernail buffing pad (not a fingernail file or emory board) that I can do pretty much the same thing. I did a fret dress on one of my guitars Thursday night using this technique and was astounded at how easy it was, how fast it went, and how much better that guitar played. It took about 15 minutes, the same as this kit suggests.
    POO DAT!!!

Our own photoweborama has used the kit.
    What this kit does is challenge the idea as to what is considered a good fret dressing job. The goal of the kit is to finish your frets so they you have little or no buzz at all, and by removing as little fret material as possible.
    You can read the entire review here.

I have been looking everywhere for this - I bought one about 30 yrs ago (they used to sell them at Sam Ash then - but didn't have the tape over the fret board) - I went into the Air Force and it'd mysteriously dissappeared and I haven't seen one since - until now!

I can vouch for the fact it does work (the more care you put into the job the better the end result) but don't kid yourself that it doesn't lower the height of your frets that much - it does - how else would it work(?) and of course depends on how deep the grooves are on your frets...

But it's cheaper than a re-fret and at least does help with action issues - I like higher frets personally so it'd only serve to delay a re-fret - not eliminate the eventuality... it's a good temporary get out of jail card - nice shout!