Thread: Early Broadcaster

Early Broadcaster

Anyone ever play an early broadcaster with no truss rod?
    Me neither!

yeah a buddy has one but unfortunately the neck has a twist in it!
    leo fender was a genius and he didn't even play the guitar, thank god for george fullerton! ADMINISTRAITOR OF THE MESA/BOOGIE FORUM

Forum Member
    The first good guitar that I ever got to play was a Broadcaster. It belonged to my Mom's cousin. I learned to play on it. He died a few years ago and the guitar was sold before I had a chance to buy it. I really wanted that guitar. It has a JM brand on the back of the headstock. My cousin was a rancher.

Lentz and I have a no rod neck we made up. The idea has been kicked around to use it with the pine body to see what it sounds like. I found some great pine also.
    I wouldn't worry about the twisting. The board can be leveled to acomodate for the tension. somthing they probably didn't have down well in the '40s!

Forum Member

I didn't know...

they made any Broadcasters without trussrods ? The fisrt ones were Esquire's , they didn't have the trussrod route. Fender bought the truss rod routing plate ooctober 3rd 1950 , before they made the first Broadcaster. Tonefiend was this some kind of trick question? lol.

I've got a '27 Martin 0-18K, and a '41 Gibson L-50, both with big-assed necks without truss rods... BOTH play and sound wonderful, and are a treat to play. No truss rod also makes the guitars balance a bit better, IMO...
    Regards, Dave Orban

I've played a couple of early Broadcasters, they both had Truss rods. I think qtipburst is right 2 pickup esquire = no truss rod. Ever notice how thin the necks are on some of the Broadcasters, not at all like the ones they did even 6 months later.

Forum Member

Yeah

they had black painted body that were a little bit thicker than standard issue.
    The necks were huge with no rod. I don't know how many they made , but they were $$$. You see them from time to time for sale for under $2K. The pups might be custom wound , and they came with all kinds of goodies and two cases too boot. A big package.

Forum Member
    You are correct, qtipburst. The earliest Esquires had no truss rods, because Leo Fender felt that the massive necks (~1" thick) would be able to handle the string tension with no problem.

The Custom Shop pine body reissue guitars are Esquires, too.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    I wonder if anyone has ever ordered a Broadcaster RI without a truss rod from the Custom Shop. Hmm...

Professor, my 1939 Gibson L50 has a truss rod, what's up with your 41?