Thread: favorite flats?

favorite flats?

I tried a set of Fender flats a while back and they were alright....

I have tried a few different flavors of rounds and they seem ok.....

I tried the Fender Nylon wound over rounds and really like that - but if your bass has ANY ground buzz......your done (I currently have these on my jag - and LOVE them!)

I just tried a set of D'Addario Chromes on my Jazz...and I gotta say - I like them. I have never tried the high end strings like TI's or Elixir, or the likes....but these Chromes (mis nomer I believe - ) are really nice!

what is the favorite amongs you people whou know what your doing? I am stumbling through the forrest at night! Actually, I have found a few that give me what I am looking for in sound, but want to hear more.

and if you know the best kept secrets.....share them.......
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Re: favorite flats?

I don't know what I'm doing (I'm a guitarist who has a bass just for kicks) but...

I have Thomastic Infeld flats on my Jazz Bass and love them. They're more than 5 years old now and still sound great.

I also usually keep a piece of foam between the body and the strings to mute them. I was going for a sound that was good for blues and jazz.

rotosounds, TI's, DR's, are all nice brands. i play rotosounds, but have used the others in the past. d'addarrio always makes a nice string too. that may not be much help, but it is what i have found.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I thought the fenders were "ok", the fender 9120's were WAY COOL....the D'Addarios (chromes) were way cool, and the 170's (rounds) were eh.....so-so.

I love the Roto rounds, but never tried the flats. DR's and TI's are on my eventually to try list. Its a cost thing you know.....

I expected some dull thuddy sounds, but not the deal - lots of sound, rich with life but not twangy.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    I love the Roto rounds, but never tried the flats. DR's and TI's are on my eventually to try list. Its a cost thing you know...
    yeah i do know. i think we might be in the same boat.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Those TI Flats cost a lot more now then when I bought mine. Come to think of it, mine are prabably more like 7 years old!

I don't play a lot of bass!