Thread: Need help identifying a broken truss rod.

Forum Member

Need help identifying a broken truss rod.

I have a partscaster I have been having some issues with, and I now am wondering if the neck has a broken truss-rod.

First off, the truss rod is adjusted extremely tight, which was worrisome. I purchased the neck from an ebay seller (one of those who part out guitars). I received it with some relief in the neck, and the truss-rod appeared to be extremely tight. When I tried to tighten it some, it made a loud crack (could be glue breaking off though), and it was already so tight, that I feared turning it more than one quarter.

I had some trouble with a slipping neck joint, however, I think I've resolved that. But then setting the guitar down last night, I head the tell tale creaking that something was still moving. I picked it up, and noticed the action had changed again. At which point, I did something different - I pushed down on the tremolo, loosening the strings, and gently tugged back on the neck...

*creeeeeaaaaaakkkkk*

And now the neck was returned to the previous action setup (and I am wide-eyed with horror). So I then push from the back of the first fret, outward.

*creaaaaakkkkkkkk*

And the neck now has the crappy action again. Pushing the trem bar down again, and pulling back on the neck repeats the cycle.

Broken truss rod?

Forum Member

Re: Need help identifying a broken truss rod.

Uhmmmm.... something else worth mentioning....

I was having slipping neck issues, so I put some drywall repair mesh in the pocket, and I have some sandpaper rolled up at the end of the pocket as a shim.

While this stopped the side to side motion, is there some chance it's part of the new problem?

take the shim out and see if it still does it. then you will know if its the shim. definitely sounds like something is loose.

"Oh, Mister D.J.,
    I keep wondering why you don't play much blues anymore
    I don't know what you got against me
    Whatever it is, I sure would like to know"

If you can get someone to guide you on how to take it out and maybe lube it, you could try that.

If it comes out in 2 pieces, it's broken. If not, reinstall, and adjust to preference.

Try "remove truss rod" in the search function, I think it's been discussed before.

Forum Member

I took the neck off the body, removed the shims - both the stack of drywall patches, and the rolled up drywall patch shim, rubbed it all down with naptha per Ron Kim's advice, and cured the slipping. Getting all that junk out of the pocket fixed this issue as well.

No more moving neck, no more slipping joint.

I am still interested in removing the truss rod and lubing it. Seems like a good thing, I'll go find the thread.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post
    I am still interested in removing the truss rod and lubing it. Seems like a good thing, I'll go find the thread.

Thanks!
    I would not do this unless its absolutely necessary. Just enjoy the guitar!

"Oh, Mister D.J.,
    I keep wondering why you don't play much blues anymore
    I don't know what you got against me
    Whatever it is, I sure would like to know"