Thread: FIRST GUITAR, READY TO TWEAK

Forum Member

FIRST GUITAR, READY TO TWEAK

i have a few questions. even though i am very "green" it seems that my tremlo action is "loose" it doesnt take much to bend pitch. there are two springs on the inside...is this something that is often adjusted? do i need more springs? also, is it "ideal" for the wireing in the body to be shielded so that the wires themsefs have no inductance what-so-ever? i can get some really small coax cable and rewire with 100% shield on wires, but i dont know if this would give any benefit in theory or real world environment. my guitar is a Squier strat with 1 duncan humbucker and 2 singles.
    shannon

Forum Member

Re: FIRST GUITAR, READY TO TWEAK

Read through the Fender setup guide so you can see what you need to do before you do it. You can stiffen up the feel of the trem with three springs.

http://www.fender.com/support/setup/stratsetup.php
    Peak District, Derbyshire, England

Re: FIRST GUITAR, READY TO TWEAK

Three springs is the "norm" (i.e. that's what the guitars typically come with). I would think two springs is a bit loose. Some people prefer four or even five springs. A well-stocked Fender dealer should have springs you can buy. If you bought this from a music store, go back and see if they'll give you another spring since it should have come with three to start with (even if used).

When you add the spring(s), the added tension will force the bridge lower, so to adjust it back follow these steps:

1) First tune to pitch,

2) Add the spring(s)

3) Then loosen the claw screws (those two big screws in the spring cavity) evenly until the the bridge raises and the guitar returns to pitch. Your bridge should now be back to it's original angle.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett