Thread: Tom Scholz Power Soak with Deville 4x10

Tom Scholz Power Soak with Deville 4x10

I have a Deville 4x10 and I just acquired a Tom Scholz Power Soak for it to calm the 60 Watt Deville down to levels that I can listen to at home. Here is my question: What are the correct settings to hook this up to my Deville? If you would, please look at the picture and tell me how. I am not a big electrical kind of guy.

The thing has a set amplifier impedance switch to: how many ohms?
    The speaker impedance switch should be set to: how many ohms?

The options on the unit are: 4 ohms and 4 ohms
    8 ohms and 8 ohms
    8 ohms and 16 ohms

Thank you for any help that you can give me.

Bill
    Last edited by billhart22; 05-30-2007 at 10:20 PM.

Re: Tom Scholz Power Soak with Deville 4x10

What is stock output impedence your amp? I assume you're using the stock 4x10, so set the "speaker impedence" switch to whatever your output impedence is.
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by flintpunk View Post
    What is stock output impedence your amp? I assume you're using the stock 4x10, so set the "speaker impedence" switch to whatever your output impedence is.
    Thank you very kindly.......believe it or not, I have called a slew of amp techs and they couldn't answer that question ..... at least I know where not to take my amp now

I use the same rig on my Silvertone Twin Twelve. The amp sounds great dimed, it's just far too loud for most stages! I picked my Scholz power soak up on ebay for $30! There were several on ebay at the time and I was able to wait and get a great price on the last one! It works well, although there is nothing that sounds like that Silvertone running wide open!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Forum Member

Do "They" still make the Power Soak, or do you have to get 'em from eBay?

I'm pretty sure they don't make 'em anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by flintpunk View Post
    I'm pretty sure they don't make 'em anymore!
    The stock impedance of my Deville is 8 ohms.....then if you run external cabinets it splits off at 4 ohms.....it taps off of the internal speaker jack. See, I have learned a lot this morning. LOL

They absolutely do not make Scholz anymore...the only place to get them is off of EBay. They are going for around $100 - $150 now. They were designed by a member of Boston to record their albums without cranking amps up all of the way and then trying to capture a bunch of wild amplifiers onto tape. So besides being a really cool unit, they have a little history behind them. The price is actually going up on them....1982 electronics and they are going up in value....go figure!

Cranking a Silvertone is one of the most beautiful sounds alive. Man, those are hard to come by at a decent price now. Just all of the sudden, everybody and their brother has to have one. I want one myself, but will have to find one at a great price.

The price goes up every week on Silvertones and Danelectros.

You are fortunate to have one!

Bill
    Last edited by billhart22; 05-31-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billhart22 View Post
    They absolutely do not make them anymore...the only place to get them is off of EBay. They are going for around $100 - $150 now. The price is actually going up on them....1982 electronics and they are going up in value....go figure!
    Wow. I paid $20 for mine, used, and gave it away to somebody to use as a dummy load, because it sounded like crap.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

i remember reading about them when i was first researching attenuators. i ended up with a 2 ohm hotplate (with my bassman).

btw, kap'n, i dig the new avatar. you may appreciate this doctored image on my page ;)
    Red means run son, numbers add up to nuthin'. - http://www.myspace.com/jeffhoo

Make sure you use speaker cable, not guitar cable to connect that to your amp.
    Nothin left to do but smile smile smile.....

+1 on the speaker cable!

Quote Originally Posted by crazy fingers View Post
    Make sure you use speaker cable, not guitar cable to connect that to your amp.
    That's a BIG 10-4 Good Buddy! (Geez)...Yes, you must use speaker cable, or you will get crap. Now I am ordering some Mogami cables from hotwiredcables.com That company rocks and the attenuator will just get "That much better". They make KILLER guitar cables too. I order all of my cables there (this isn't an advertisement), but for 25% of what you would pay at GC or whatever, you ought to check it out.

I finally hooked my Scholz up yesterday and man...that thing is dead ass silent, even cranked up all of the way. I am really impressed.

It works like a champ...I really appreciate all of your guys help on this subject and I thank you very much.

Bill