Thread: Removing Wipe-on Poly? Filing fret ends?

Forum Member

Removing Wipe-on Poly? Filing fret ends?

I've decided the Steel Wool flakes in the finish on my neck for the Tugboatcaster will bug me. How do you remove the Minwax Wipe-on Poly? I also had to go back and roll one of the edges on the neck. I wasn't after "heavily rolled" edges, but one edge literally was a sharp corner. So I had to sand it a bit to get it to where it would be comfortable.

So far, I'm not enough impressed with Musikraft to want to take a second shot on them. The fret job on my $180 Art and Lutherie acoustic (probably $250-300 new) is superior to the one on my $200 Musikraft neck. Is it easy enough to file down the fret ends to be even with the wood for a novice? They're not sharp, but they are there. My acoustic you can't feel ANY fret ends. GREAT fret job on it.

Also, does Nitro build up on frets? I have 2 and about 3/4 cans of Satin nitro, and I figure 2 cans for the body will be good so I'll have a bit extra. If Nitro doesn't build up on the frets I might refinish it with the satin Nitro. Plus, I think it would be cool for the guitar to age evenly all over. I'm not sure how the Minwax will age.

If it does build up on the frets, I'll just refinish it with the Minwax again since it's so dang easy, but THIS time take a magnet to the neck before I put on another coat. I'm not THAT concerned about the guitar aging evenly.

I'm (finally!) almost ready for the color on my body!!!!! The body is nice and smooth with no bubbles or grain depressions except for one part on the side where I accidentally sanded it back down to the wood. I'm drop-filling it and I went ahead and added a few more coats on the front and back to give me a little more protection for sand throughs. I got a little heavy-handed on the sanding since I took a one month hiatus to finish up school and forgot just how little sanding you should do.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: Removing Wipe-on Poly? Filing fret ends?

Steel wool flakes?!?!

Stripeze should take it right off.

Nitro will build up on frets. I can't believe you skipped the magnet step. I can't believe it mattered so much!

I use a small triangular file to dress fret ends. It's not too hard. If I can do it...

I rolled my fret ends with the shank of a screwdriver after finishing the neck although doing it beforehand is a good idea.

Forum Member

Re: Removing Wipe-on Poly? Filing fret ends?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Steel wool flakes?!?!

Stripeze should take it right off.

Nitro will build up on frets. I can't believe you skipped the magnet step. I can't believe it mattered so much!

I use a small triangular file to dress fret ends. It's not too hard. If I can do it...

I rolled my fret ends with the shank of a screwdriver after finishing the neck although doing it beforehand is a good idea.
    Yeah I know. I'm a dumbass for skipping the magnet step. There are little specks and fibers of steel wool around the frets.

I'll just stick with the Minwax. It's easy and it feels good.
    Got them Statesboro Blues