Thread: Thin skin strat owners

Thin skin strat owners

Has anybody with the thin skin series strat from 06 or 07 had the neck off of the body? If so, what kind of markings are you seeing? Also what markings are you seeing in the PU routs? Thanks.
    John Sr.

Re: Thin skin strat owners

I have never taken the neck off or even the pickguard.

Forum Member

Me niether. I am a little embarassed to say that I am not that handy with guitars. I can do minor adjustments, but I get most stuff done by the tech at my local store. Anyway, I got my 62 Thin Skin set up and have done nothing but play it since.

Same with me guys. After setting mine up(62 RI from Dave's), mine has been nothing but joy. I was just curious as every Strat; be it vintage old wood, or CS, Am.Se, or Dlx.series, MIM, have their own verification markings somewhere besides the neck plate. These questions have nothing to do with value; I buy my guitars to play and enjoy, but being as the only visable sign of serial # is on the limited edition neck plate; I was wondering what other markings might be present underneath(body/neck end,ect) that would authenticate the guitar other than the serial# on the plate that anyone could change. I know there is a COA with these but COAs are kinda cheesy to me for ID purposes.Just curious.I am extremely happy that I bought one though. Mine feels about half as heavy as my Am.Dlx even though it's only a little more than 2 lbs lighter, and when they say "thin skin", that's excactly what they mean. I'll bet these things are going to age fairly quick(finish wise).
    John Sr.

Forum Member

Yea. I am not aware of any markings or anything. However, I like the way you can tell the difference between the Thin Skin models and the regular AV models by picking them up and having a close look. I was out the other day, and a friend of a friend picked up my 62, and without even playing it said, "You gotta love those frets!"

I am not puting down the regular AV models. Those are great too.

"the only visable sign of serial # is on the limited edition neck plate"
    The '54 Thin Skin,didn't come with the "Limited Edition" neckplate,only thing on the neckplate is the serial number,..
    After getting mine,I contacted WildWood,about that,and the fact I got no "COA",....They told me Fender was "late in sending them",,couple of days later I recieved both,..but the neckplate only "says,.. Limited Edition"....no serial number,...Since the only place there is a serial number is on the "plain" neckplate that came on it,..the "Linited Edition" neckplate is kinda useless to me,also the ""COA" doesn't say how many are being produced,just a production date (like the other Thin Skins),..So I contacted them again,..to inqure about how many? (like the 180 '57's),..I got no reply to two E-Mails????
    Without wanting to be a "pain" ,..I contacted Daves Guitars,..and asked the same question,....He told me,..the the prodution numbers are "open ended" (on the '54's),..but added that when they are all done,..he expected less than 500 would be made.
    About a week later,I recieved another backplate and COA from WildWood???.....So now, I have two "limited Edition" backplates,and two COA's.
    Doesn't matter,...the '54 Thin Skin,sounds great,plays great,and looks great,...I sold my '57 Thin Skin the day after getting the '54.
    Also the '54 Thin Skin isn't considered to be a AVRI,apparently because of the 9.5 radius,and the CS 50's,so the serial numbers start with a "SE",instead of "V",(denoting "Special Edition"??)...Which got me thinking,..why not a "Special Edition" neckplate instead of a "Limited Edition" neckplate anyway?
    50th AmSe. Strat
    '54 ThinSkin Strat
    Mesa Nomad 45 1-12 Combo
    Mesa Lonestar Special 2-12 Combo

LH55,
    One thing is becoming quite obvious to me; the owners of the thinskin RI's are very, very happy with them. I've never owned one of the previous vintage line RI's, so I can't possibly compare the two; They are probably close to being the same guitars, minus the thinskin finish. I just don't know. The only other TS owner I have corresponded with here is stratlover, and I know he loves his axe, so apparently these axes are keepers. After buying mine and then seeing where they were releasing models with the 9.5's, I kinda wished I had waited; but I have really grown to love the 7.5 radius on my 62. I sure would like to have one of each though..54/57/and my 62 model. Other than the 4of us; you, SL, JM3, and myself; I haven't heard of any others here who have bought the TS models. Everybody enjoy theirs!!
    John Sr.

Forum Member

Hey hvnbound. I have had a 57 Thinskin for about 8 months now. It is my idea of what a Strat should be. I have looked at a lot of current production Strats and so far have not found one I like better. I bought it from Steve at Wildwood and would not hesitate to do so again. I have had the thing apart and if memory serves there arent any markings to speak of in the body cavity and I believe there was a date stamp on the end of the neck with maybe an inspectors initials. Longhair55. Just curious why you liked the 54 reissue better?

Thanks Phil,
    I feel the same about my 62'. On mine, all of the edges are rounded over; much like you would see on a guitar that was hand made;where as on my Am.Dlx. the headstock edges are sharper like you would see on a more machine made axe. Now I'm not implying that they are made differently, I'm just saying what it looks like. This gives it a much more vintage vibe to it. Steve at WW is a great guy. I bought a beautiful flame top Les Paul from him 3 or so years ago. I sent him a pic of a little, almost undetectable scatch in the finish right where the pickguard bracket hole was, and he offered to do whatever I wanted done, and I didn't send it back because you couldn't even see it without holding the axe in a certain light and angle. He sent me a box of killer Gibson jackets,hats,ect. I just got home from work one day, and they were there on the porch FedEx. I mean these items were meant for the more "higher ups" than I am. I contacted him about the thin skin first but he was waiting on a fresh shipment. I think I'm going to try and get one of the 50's models also. They are just great guitars. Anyway; thanks again for the info.
    John Sr.

Phil,
    When I bought the '57,I was looking for something similar to my 50th AmSe. tone wise,..but found that the 57/62's sounded thin and bright to my ears,.. compared to the 54's in the 50th.
    The '54 Thinskin's CS 50's have more "punch" and midrange than what the '57 had,..They sound "similar" to the 54's in the 50th AmSe...not the same but close. Plus, although I never had a problem with the '57's radius,I was always more comfortable with the 9.5 radius on the AmSe.(also the 54's neck isn't as "stickey" as the '57's was)
    Main reason I like it better,..... is the tone,...I like Ash better too..
    came with a better case too (center pocket tweed)
    50th AmSe. Strat
    '54 ThinSkin Strat
    Mesa Nomad 45 1-12 Combo
    Mesa Lonestar Special 2-12 Combo

Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys. I love my thinskin and would like a couple more if finances ever permit.