Thread: The volume knob is in the way! /tension

Forum Member

The volume knob is in the way! /tension

Well, sort of. After playing a guitar where the knobs were completely out of the way, I am having a hard time not smacking the volume knob all the time. It's also almost right where I used to rest my hand for palm muting and stuff. I am sure I'll get used to it, but right now, my pinky is getting all abused. Any tips? Maybe I should be hitting the strings a little higher on the neck?

I am sure I'll adjust, I am really liking the HW1 HSS. Those nice big spacious frets are really a step up from my last guitar, I've really got room to grab those chords.

This may be a moot point, since I am getting it set up next week, but when I put some 10's on, the bridge stood right up, due to the tension. I tightened the spring screws, but I am afraid to tighten them too much. I tried to tune up slowly, slow steps while adjusting the screws. Was this the correct way to adjust for higher gauge strings?

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Re: The volume knob is in the way! /tension

This may be a moot point, since I am getting it set up next week, but when I put some 10's on, the bridge stood right up, due to the tension.
    yeah, since you're changing string guage and getting a set-up, just let your tech. know where you want your bridge to be (floating or flush to the body)
    as far as the vol. knob goes, I have the same problem with my '73. My other 2 strats don't seem to have the problem, though. I don't know if it's a tension issue with how easily the knob turns or if there are subtle differences in the distance to the strings that the knob was placed. Either way, getting that pinky out of the way is just a matter of adjusting where it's placed. I usually just extend my pinky on my strumming hand (like a lady drinking from a tea cup!! ) and actually use my pinky to adjust the vol knob when the need arises.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards