Thread: a little more crunch...

a little more crunch...

in addition to the chorus/flanger/phaser i choose, i'd like to get a distortion/overdrive pedal that has more crunch than my tubescreamer. i'm thinking along the lines of a boss sd-1, or maybe a big muff for the sustain?

the sound i'm talking about is like a nickelback/3 doors down gain. i know they play through mesaboogie/peavey, but i'm looking for a pedal that would give me a similar distortion.

any suggestions?

Re: a little more crunch...

Get an English Muff'n. Those are AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trevorus View Post
    Get an English Muff'n. Those are AWESOME!!!
    when i saw that, i automatically thought of a "marshall" sound.

i'm almost thinking a boss ds-1 would do the trick. the muff'n is nice, but i don't want to spend that much on an overdrive when i have a tube screamer already.

anyone try an ds-1 for that gritty distortion?

DS-1 is pretty good.

I will say about the Muff'n... I wasn't sure about getting a pedal that cost that much, but I am very glad I did. I used it for a while with 2 12ay7 tubes, and it was an overdrive with a LOT of range. Then I used a couple old USA made 12ax7's and that was Marshall in a box.

Now, the DS-1, IMO, won't get that raging distortion sound that a Mesa can get. I would also recommend you to look at a Rocktron Silver Dragon pedal. I have one of those as well, and it has 2 channels. The high-gain one is awesome or that big tube head distortion sound.

DS-1 is pretty good.

I will say about the Muff'n... I wasn't sure about getting a pedal that cost that much, but I am very glad I did. I used it for a while with 2 12ay7 tubes, and it was an overdrive with a LOT of range. Then I used a couple old USA made 12ax7's and that was Marshall in a box.

Now, the DS-1, IMO, won't get that raging distortion sound that a Mesa can get. I would also recommend you to look at a Rocktron Silver Dragon pedal. I have one of those as well, and it has 2 channels. The high-gain one is awesome or that big tube head distortion sound.

i mean, i'm not looking for a replica of the mesa sound, but just something along those lines of distortion.

EDIT: not really looking for tube driven pedals...don't want to change the tubes in those AND my amp.

Quote Originally Posted by slickcipher View Post
    i mean, i'm not looking for a replica of the mesa sound, but just something along those lines of distortion.
    You're definitely going to need something capable of more gain than the DS-1.

You're definitely going to need something capable of more gain than the DS-1.
    something more like this?
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...2&src=3SOSWXXK

That'd do. Maybe try the Guvnor too.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    holy. crap.

The problem is that unless you've got a really good amp to begin with to reproduce the sound, just adding a lot of distortion is gonna give you a sludgy mess.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Original Guv'Nor +1. Great pedal that will give you the crunch you're looking for. That's a hard pedal to find these days!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Mesa V-Twin or MI Audio Tube Zone. A Keeley-modded Boss MT-2 can be pretty Mesa-like as well.

BTW, if you do grab a V-Twin, get a later version; the earlier models have awful switching latency.
    Last edited by hudpucker; 05-02-2007 at 10:28 AM.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Gravity Jim

fezz wins it. I've played through a Mesa V-Twin and it absolutely does the trick. Awesome multistage gain, a Triple Rec in a box. Hilarious fun.

I just remembered...Duh! I've got a Jeckyl and Hyde on my pedal board and the Mr. Hyde side will give you a crunchy triple-rec sound! They run around $120 and are a great all around pedal. The left side (Dr. Jeckyl) does a pretty nice TS808 impersonation. I forgot I have it because I've been playing country and I haven't stomped on the triple-rec side in quite a while! Doh!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

English Muff'n again, I find it's really tweakable and very responsive to your attack, I like it so much I bought the wiggler... that rules as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr S View Post
    English Muff'n again, I find it's really tweakable and very responsive to your attack, I like it so much I bought the wiggler... that rules as well...
    And that's why I love the English Muff'n so much. Very dynamic, touch responsive, and very capable of doing many things depending on the tubes that are in it. It runs the tubes at near 300 volts, so the tubes operate properly. Some tube pedals run the tube in a "starved" manner, by giving them 16-20 volts. It's what my Rocktron does, and it's good, but it's not the same.

The Muff'n responds like the preamp section of a big stack should. It's one pedal that will not be leaving my pedal board.

Forum Member

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde, have it, love it.

http://www.visualsound.net/Pedal_jh.htm

M.I. AUDIO CRUNCH BOX

8))

Quote Originally Posted by flintpunk View Post
    I just remembered...Duh! I've got a Jeckyl and Hyde on my pedal board and the Mr. Hyde side will give you a crunchy triple-rec sound! They run around $120 and are a great all around pedal. The left side (Dr. Jeckyl) does a pretty nice TS808 impersonation. I forgot I have it because I've been playing country and I haven't stomped on the triple-rec side in quite a while! Doh!
    try the Hyde side for the lead breaks in "Folsom Prison w/ a tele bridge pup- *OUCH* (works for me, anyways)
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook