Thread: 5 way switch with AVRI

5 way switch with AVRI

Even though I've been playing for over 40 years; I've never really done any electronic work to my axes. I've got one of the 62 thin skin strats that comes stock with the 3 way on it, and I'd like to install the 5 way, and I also think it's time I start doing some stuff myself. Is it hard to install the switch if one is careful, and has some soldering experience? I guess you would leave the jack connected and flip the guard over. What do you guys usually use to cover your guitar with while completing the task? I know this is probably quite mickey mouse to most of you, but I'd appreciate any tips you might can give me.Thanks.
    John Sr.

Forum Member

Re: 5 way switch with AVRI

If you do not have a diagram, take the time to draw a picture of how it looks before you plug in the soldering iron. (The five-way switch will be installed the same way as the three-way.) I've received an awful lot of email messages from people who didn't draw what they had, and then got lost in all the wires.

Or take a good pic with a digital camera.

Excellent Ideas guys, and almost all of which I had planned to do. I guess I've finally learned the hard way. There was a time when I would have blown right past theses suggestions. Thank God those days are gone. I do have the schem. that came with the guitar, and it does say to rewire exactly as it is. Thank you all for the suggestions. It's nice to be able to bounce this tech stuff off guys like you who know from experience what short cuts or pitfalls one may encounter. Thanks again.
    John Sr.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Or take a good pic with a digital camera.
    That's what I do too.

You can do it without removing the strings if you wanna.

Just loosen the strings slide the pickguard out from underneath the strings use a towel or Tshirt to cover the top of the guitar. As you look at 1 side of the switch you will see thats where the pickups go and the other side is where the vol and tone pots hook to.

The switches wire up the same so as you remove 1 wire from the 3 way switch solder it to the new 5 way just do 1 wire at a time and it will work perfect. Its about a 30 min job.

Don't forget to add the jumper to make the second tone control work on the bridge pickup also.
    Then Play On