Thread: Pickgard repair

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Pickgard repair

So, the other day when i picked up Kimberly (made by Teisco), i noticed she has a broken pickgaurd just above where the jackscrews in. I think that with the right glue it is fix able because the break's shape and placement.

My question is, which glue would be best (sturdy with very little evidence) to repair what is basically Plexiglas that was painted black on the back?
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Forum Member

Re: Pickgard repair

Do you mean it is cracked, or you are holding a chunk in your hand?

If it is cracked you want to make sure the glue doesn't attack the paint (even though on the underside), and is thin enough to get into the crack. Conventional Perspex glues are very powerful and would dissolve most paints. So I would use a thin super glue, open the crack up, run the glue in and let the crack close again. Wipe off the excess following the direction of the break, then when dry use a fine wet'n'dry grit followed by an ordinary cutting compound and polish. The only difficulty is if the repaired section looks better than the rest, so you have to retrace your steps and do some light relicing.

If you are gluing a section back on, I'd use thicker superglue and follow a similar procedure for finishing the join off. If you need to repair the paint use black enamel, because as you don't know what the exact spec of the original is (it could be nitro) you need a 'neutral' paint that won't react with it.
    Peak District, Derbyshire, England

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Re: Pickgard repair

Quote Originally Posted by Camoradi View Post
    Do you mean it is cracked, or you are holding a chunk in your hand?

If it is cracked you want to make sure the glue doesn't attack the paint (even though on the underside), and is thin enough to get into the crack. Conventional Perspex glues are very powerful and would dissolve most paints. So I would use a thin super glue, open the crack up, run the glue in and let the crack close again. Wipe off the excess following the direction of the break, then when dry use a fine wet'n'dry grit followed by an ordinary cutting compound and polish. The only difficulty is if the repaired section looks better than the rest, so you have to retrace your steps and do some light relicing.

If you are gluing a section back on, I'd use thicker superglue and follow a similar procedure for finishing the join off. If you need to repair the paint use black enamel, because as you don't know what the exact spec of the original is (it could be nitro) you need a 'neutral' paint that won't react with it.
    Thanks for the help! Yeah, the only thing keeping the piece on is a single screw and the shape of the break. I honestly have no idea how it broke. it's like it just happened on its own, very weird.

I've doctored a photo to show where the break is.

What would be a neutral paint?
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"