Thread: Airlines v. Guitars

Forum Member

Airlines v. Guitars

I'm going to be flying to Idaho this summer w/ Honky Tonk (my trusty tele) and I'm getting mixed answers from the airline. 1. put it in the overhead 2. gotta check it 3.keep w/ stewardess. Since I can't get a straight answer is there a safe way to "check" it in a regular case w/ extra padding inside and out? Thanks for any advice.

Forum Member

Re: Airlines v. Guitars

I've heard of many traveling guitarists with this same dilema and from what I've gathered, Yeah, deffinitely do the padded case thing but, to qualify as overhead luggage, you'll have to remove the neck so everything fits nice and tidy. If you're only doing this occasionally, then it's no big deal. However, if you're doing this quite often, it would be wise to get those threaded inserts so that you dont strip the neck holes from the constant on/off. Hope this helps. Good luck

Re: Airlines v. Guitars

I know at least one person who bought a separate ticket for his guitar. You have to confirm with the airline if this is OK and make sure the ticket say "FOR GUITAR" on it since the gate agent and the flight attendant on the plane will likely give you a hassle at first. Of course, if the guitar is worth some $$$ then this may be the safest way to go since it never leaves your side.
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain