Thread: WOW! Spray-on Sanding sealer works SO much better than brush-on!

Forum Member

WOW! Spray-on Sanding sealer works SO much better than brush-on!

I ran out of the brush-on Deft Sanding Sealer I was using, so I went to Woodcraft and bought a spray can of Deft's Sanding Sealer. I sprayed a coat on the back (still had quite a bit on it), several coats on the sides (those were pretty thin on sealer), and I had to spray about 4 heavy coats on the front because I sanded off a bunch of Sealer when I was sanding off the botched White Blonde I did with the Preval.

I spent about 1/8 of the time sanding off the gloss when I used the spray on as I did when I used the brush on. It really was just a case of scuffing the finish. I had to spend quite a bit of time sanding the brush on stuff to get it to look right.

I'm almost done with the Sealer. There were no white areas where I sanded through to the wood when I sanded last night! I'm going to keep on applying the Sealer until there's no grain depressions in the finish when I spray. I bought one can of the sealer and I have maybe 1/4 of the can left. Hopefully I won't have to go and get another can.

Also, the Deft can sprayed so much better and easier than the Preval Sprayer that I'm going to eat the cost of the Preval, pigment, and Behlen's and place an order with ReRanch. Their store is back open, and the ReRanch cans sprayed really good when I was spraying with a screwed up sanding sealer coat. It was VERY easy to control and get nice even coats with the ReRanch cans. I had a hard time with the Preval.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: WOW! Spray-on Sanding sealer works SO much better than brush-on!

Nice work, buddy. I wish I'd had this knowledge a while ago too. I too wasted a LOT of time and effort futzing around with brush-on sanding sealer.

Tammy Lou has been on hold until the weather warms up a bit. Again, thanks to your experience - I'm going to wait until it's above 30 degrees outside to spray on the color and finish coats.
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Re: WOW! Spray-on Sanding sealer works SO much better than brush-on!

No prob! Hope it warms up soon for ya! I'll have to stop and Woodcraft and get another can of Sanding Sealer. I'm almost out after this last application, and there are still a few grain pinholes here and there. I'm going to make sure the sanding sealer coat is pretty thick, because I heard that Nitro shrinks considerably over time and I don't want the wood grain poking through when its finally cured 100%. Ash sure is thirsty.

And there's one spot the size of a pea on the tip of the horn that is thirsty as hell. It keeps on sucking up all of the sanding sealer I spray on it (and I'm spraying it thick on that spot too!)

However, the more important thing: PROGRESS!!!! FINALLY!!!!
    Got them Statesboro Blues