Thread: 9 hole pickguard?

Forum Member

9 hole pickguard?

Hey all,
    I just got around to building yet another partscaster and I was going through my junk bin and came across this Strat pickguard with 9 holes instead of the typical #'s. I remember buying it for a great price from a local music store(this is where all my Columbus,Oh musicians should chime in...it's on Hamilton on the east side,great place, rhymes with *Dang*)and it's chrome plated brass. The hole situation is what made me toss it to the parts bin in the first place! I've done research and I can't find ANYTHING on a real metal(or even plastic)pickguard with 9 holes. Anybody familiar with this hole pattern?

Forum Member

Re: 9 hole pickguard?

During the transition years (circa 1959) fender strats occasionally used variations of pickguards -- with some 9 holes being found. I own a 1959 slab board strat with a 9-hole and have seen others (and variants). As for a metal version -- not sure.

Re: 9 hole pickguard?

Don Grosh uses a 9-hole pickguard on his Strats :)
    www.mtlutherie.com

"Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves; but our sufficiency is from God," 2 Corinthians 3:5