Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PRS Soapbar II SE Custom pickguard arrives (w/pics)

Re: PRS Soapbar II SE Custom pickguard arrives (w/pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Indeed it would, although it's the goldtop that makes me all sick inside.
    Goldtops make me all sick inside too, but I think it's for a different reason!

Nah, I just don't care for solid painted guitars (looks wise, that is)!

well, if you ever get a goldtop wrap bridge paul, i guess you'll know where to send it...
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    well, if you ever get a goldtop wrap bridge paul, i guess you'll know where to send it...
    Out to be stripped and refinished in a nice faded honeyburst?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Out to be stripped and refinished in a nice faded honeyburst?
    You'd probably find the maple figure to be disappointing, to say the least, and maybe even in more than two pieces. I've seen a couple of 'burst refinned Goldtops -- they got painted in a solid colour originally by Gibson for a reason, imho.

When I see one of these, my feeling is always that the owner ought to do the decent thing and get it refinned back to something as close as possible its original gold, and sell it to someone who likes them that way! A 'burst refinned Goldtop -- neither fish nor fowl.

-Mark

I'm kidding. I would never strip the finish off of a guitar just for a color change.

I'm just not a goldtop fan.

I know what you mean, though- some gold tops have off center seams, figure on one side and not the other, flaws in the wood that are not considered attractive, etc...

On the other hand, I've seen Norlin era Standards with factory burst finishes over 5 piece butcher block tops! On nice playing and sounding guitars, even!

I'm kidding. I would never strip the finish off of a guitar just for a color change.
    I wouldn't either -- but not out of principle, but more practicality.

In principle, I have no problem with the idea of a well done refin that makes an otherwise favoured instrument also more visually pleasing to its owner. In practice, though, my ugly guitars tend to stay that way... too much money and hassle, and after a while, their individual homliness starts to grow on me... I start to imagine they have "character".
    I'm just not a goldtop fan.
    I know what you mean... when I was a kid, I used to think they were among the crassest looking guitars ever conceived. About the only thing I disliked more were cowboy sparkle teles. But as I've grown old and neuronal decay has set in, I've mellowed and I can see the kitschy appeal. Or maybe it's just senility.
    I know what you mean, though- some gold tops have off center seams, figure on one side and not the other, flaws in the wood that are not considered attractive, etc...
    Yeah, those are the ones I'm thinking of too... some LPs just weren't cut out to be be 'bursts. As the song says, "just paint it black..."
    On the other hand, I've seen Norlin era Standards with factory burst finishes over 5 piece butcher block tops! On nice playing and sounding guitars, even!
    Interesting... I haven't seen that. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those! For sure, some pretty strange things came out during those few years...

-Mark

Jim, did you drill those holes yourself? How'd you feel about doing that?

I've drilled holes in guitars and even new cars but I'm always a little hesitant.

I'd drill my Les Paul for a pickguard if I found a regular LP standard pg in a color I liked (the stock ones are too fleshy colored).

I'll have to contact the place that you bought yours from to see if they sell p/gs to fit on new standards or re-issues (or both). The bridge pickup is in a different location on Standards.

Gravity Jim

Hesitant, but well-prepped. I spent enough time choosing the bit, marking the depth on the bit, marking the finish with a center-punch, blah blah blah, that all I really had to do was concentrate on keeping the bit straight. I can be kind of overly-attentive on small jobs like this, but they snugged up real nice.

I'd drill my Les Paul for a pickguard if I found a regular LP standard pg in a color I liked (the stock ones are too fleshy colored).

I'll have to contact the place that you bought yours from to see if they sell p/gs to fit on new standards or re-issues (or both). The bridge pickup is in a different location on Standards.
    The pickguard that came with my LP Elegant is transparent -- they were obviously _very_ proud of the top on that one.

I've never attached it -- it sits patiently in the case compartment for the day that will never come (well, at least while I own it.).

I've never found the pickguards on LPs generally to be necessary (well, for my style of playing, anyway) or aesthetically an improvement.

Do you find them functionally useful, or do you prefer the look of a LP with a pg?

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger View Post
    Do you find them functionally useful, or do you prefer the look of a LP with a pg?

-Mark
    I find the pg to be slightly functionally useful on an LP. There are marks on my LP's body where my fingernails contact it. That doesn't bother me at all though and I wouldn't put a pickguard on it for that reason alone.

I like the old fashioned look of a Les Paul with the pg on. To me it just looks more like a "Les Paul".

I'm not sure if I'd go through with installing it even if I found a pickguard that I liked though.