Thread: So what song does your band do that you just can't wait to play every night?

So what song does your band do that you just can't wait to play every night?

You know the one I'm talking about. The one that you just can't wait to tear into. Maybe it's one that crowd freaks over. Or one where you really get to strut your stuff.

In my case, it's Jaco Pastorius' arrangement of "The Chicken", complete with Soul Intro. I freakin' LOVE to play that song.
    Don't bore us,
    Get to the chorus!

Re: So what song does your band do that you just can't wait to play every night?

It's my usual closer, Voodoo Child. I've been closing the night with that song for the last 10-15 years, and it never gets old. We always have 20-25 people come up before the show and ask if we're going to be playing it. I guess everyone likes watching me be stupid on the song.
    --The music is all around us. I can hear it. Can you?

Re: So what song does your band do that you just can't wait to play every night?

Since we've picked up our keyboard player, the crowds have been loving our versions of Dixie Chicken, and Take Me To The River.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Oh man, so many to choose...(just not Mustang Sally).

My favorite is our rendition of Willie Dixon's "Can't Judge a Book by it's Cover" - it's recorded and on our myspace page and I think it just grooves for us. I recorded the bassline that you hear but we have funked it up a big since. Now I'm playing guitar and the new DRRI just LOVES that tune! another one I'm particularly lovin' right now is Phone Booth (Robert Cray).

DD

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    another one I'm particularly lovin' right now is Phone Booth (Robert Cray).

DD
    That song is fun to play. My band just started playing that song in December.
    --The music is all around us. I can hear it. Can you?

It's been quite awhile since I was in a cover band but one that I recall enjoying playing was Hurdy Gurdy Man which the band did heavy and moody.

Same band also did White Rabbit and the vocalist absolutely killed on it so it was both fun to play and see the crowds reaction afterwards. Often gave me goosebumps.

I usually can't wait for late in the 2nd set when we play comforably numb. It took me a while to get the solos and phrasing down, but man does it never fails to get the crowd going. Then again, damn near anything sounds good after 4-5 beers.

Lately we have been learning a few band tunes and the ones i'm chompin at the bit to play king harvest and w.s. walcott medicine show.
    Nothin left to do but smile smile smile.....

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

The last band I was in did a killer version of "Whipping Post". I never got tired of it and although it could clear a dance floor, it was still a crowd favorite.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

We kind of like "Sell A Lot Of Beer" by the barely famous Warren Brothers
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Bridge of sigh's get's the crowd going pretty good!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Guess what I remember as best times back from the "gigging days"

The opener - the instrumental section from John Mellencamp's I Need a Lover
    The closer - the instrumental end from Derek & Dominos' Layla

Yeah I know, kinda cheesy, but it was the early 80s and they were feel good instrumental sections that the band enjoyed, and as needed you could announce info over them.

Why,"Mustang Sally"!

"My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

In my case, it's Jaco Pastorius' arrangement of "The Chicken", complete with Soul Intro.
    Holy moly, Gary, I want you.

For me it changes all the time. Whatever we've been working on.

Shine your light.

For the Purple tribute, Highway Star. It's the opener and sets the tone for what's ahead!

For the Who tribute, Won't Get Fooled Again. It's the closer and if it's a special event (big gig/big room) the "smasher" comes out.....

For me it changes a lot depending on the circumstances. I really dig the simple, but funky Meters' tune "Cissy Strut" and sometimes we do "Beware Of Darkness" and I love that tune. (RIP-George)
    “To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success.”

The last one.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    The last one.
    Aww, c'mon!

It's not always that bad...I thought we played pretty well last time.

I particularly like doing "Friends in Low Places, 'cause we have a lot of fun with that one...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Oh not that Gianni, I'm just glad when a gig is over. And - once the last song is played, the greenbacks touch my palm. You know how that gives me goosepimples!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Yeah, I know, ya gig whore, you!

Hey, by the way, I promise not to stomp on your pedals this time... I thought you thought it was funny...but I'll stick to stomping on my own...

Crabicula! ;-)

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Ain't no thang.

Forum Member

THEME FROM AN IMAGINARY WESTERN
    Last edited by 57HANK; 09-28-2007 at 03:12 PM.

just call me ghey....

JENNY, JENNY
    Imanidiot.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    They really kill on this one: Shufflin' Bee-Zerk
    Not much help on this thread,

But that friggin kills, fezz! <insert several thumbs up smileys here>

I've been really having fun with some of the tunes mentioned here (even 867-5309-Jenny). We've been doing a medley of Psycho Killer and Life During Wartime.

Lately my faves are "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Comfortably Numb"

Last Saturday we tore down the house with Ace's "How Long" (sometimes the corny ones that no one ever plays are the ones that just go off the hook.

Freebird

Midnight Special (the CCR cover of Leadbelly)
    Pipeline (very cool, improv'd version)
    Mustang Sally (we have really geared this up, complete with James Brown-esque ending. I have never enjoyed playing this song until now. It is closer to the Buddy Guy/bluesy version than the 1000 other versions out there.
    Too Many Dirty Dishes - the Albert Collins song where I take my wireless guitar set up on a walkabout through the crowd, sometimes outside. Always gets a huge response.
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Back in the day when I was in a band Led Zepplins "Rockn' Roll" was our best jam. I liked "Let It Be" because I could sing it and play the bass part... now alone with my I tunes I like to jam out on "Whiskey in the Jar" and "Dead!"

Back when I was in the loud band, we always got a big charge out of "Escape from the Prison Planet," usually dropping into a swinging little jam before coming back into the chorus once more.

Never failed to get everyone moving in some way or another. Sometimes to the parking lot.
    "Wait, it's a trap. Get an axe."

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    Last Saturday we tore down the house with Ace's "How Long" (sometimes the corny ones that no one ever plays are the ones that just go off the hook.
    My old band used to play that song, and it killed... people dug hearing the vocal harmony, I think (Paul Carrack was/is an awesome singer, and I came real close to his tone and phrasing on that). I had the guitar solo dialed it.... a little fuzz, a buncha phase shifter.... and it seems to me we almost always followed with "China Grove," which, lemme tell ya, back in 1976 would burn the place down. Man, those were the days.

"How Long" is a cool song. I've loved that one since I was a pup.

I used to play with this girl who pretty much always did "Me And Bobbie McGee" as her closer.
    The first time I sat in playing slide, I faked a train whistle right after- "Busted flat in Baton Rouge/ waitin' for a train..." The crowd loved it, she got a big kick out of it, and it did work.
    But it became an albatross. I always had to do it.
    Sometimes the monitor situation was less than ideal, and playing slide by eye can be iffy.
    I ended up kind of dreading it.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Closing time

Ahh, my last band dis"band"ed in April, but I always had a lot of fun on the simple, punkier hard rock stuff. "Hashpipe" by Weezer was a blast, "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit, "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones, "Surrender" by Cheap Trick, "Small Things" by Blink 182 were all fun and made girls dance or bang their heads or whatever. Not a lot of guitar solos though. Had to wait for the 'classic rock' set for that but it was just never as much fun.

The Door's Roadhouse Blues. I'm the lead player on that one and I just love to make the audience begin to clap their hands and stomp the floor dancing!