Thread: Cable voodoo?

Cable voodoo?

As I slowly gear up (pun intended) my gig-worthiness I've been doing a little cable research. A local company whose products I used to favor is now advertising 'directional cable.'

One specific cable type/model boasts of having the "shield lifted at Instrument and tied at Amp for Lower Noise."

Being the inquisitive type I dissected this particular cable (I realized that I already owned one) and found that the shield was tied to ground at one end and was lifted at the other. I never really detected any sonic differences although I was never listening for them either.

What gives? Is this just marketing voodoo or is there some actual basis/logic for this? I'm curious since I intend to install a right angle plug on this cable (to be used on the amplifier side) and would hate to install it on the "wrong" end.

I await your expertise, gentlemen.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Re: Cable voodoo?

Kinda what I figured. I guess it doesn't really matter which end I install the right angle plugs on then, huh?

thanks.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...