Thread: Small Tweeds

Small Tweeds

Any advice on the best boutique small tweed replicas. I have a few big tweeds but looking for a 5W. Champ 5f1 style. The Victorias and Kendricks are a bit pricey. The Valvetrain 205's look cool Mike Marsh (all over ebay with amp kits) seems like a real nice guy with great replica prices. Anybody heard anything about his stuff?
    Other makers? I'd like to know what's out there.

Forum Member
    State of GAS: I think I may be moving to Happytown

Re: Small Tweeds

There's always a kit...you could easily have one built for you for much less than a boutique dealer would sell you one.

If Clapton can record with a 5F1, I'd think it's good enough for the rest of us, no?
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

There are lots of used Victorias out there.
    Lots of folks get a tweed champ and then decide that they want something bigger.

JJ
    DAMN. I wish I could remember where I put them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone! I heard the Swarts are killer. I'll check 'em out!

Gravity Jim

That Little Dawg stuff looks great. But he's real slooooooow. Got a waiting list a mile long, he says, and he's in no hurry to stack up more customers.

I'll throw this in for the grin: locally, some guy near me is asking $1,200 for a mid 70s Princeton.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    I'll throw this in for the grin: locally, some guy near me is asking $1,200 for a mid 70s Princeton.
    Wow I'm sure this guy will realize he's asking a bit much sooner or later, but then if the ad runs for another 10 years he may have it priced right for 2017? I listed my '80 SF Princeton a couple years ago on CL for $300 twice and not one bite.

These Tweed clones are starting to seem like a reasonable alternative to me since I really do like the tweed sound. But then I may just wait awhile for those new Fender Tweed Deluxe RI to hit the used market.

Forum Member

I think my next amp is going to be a 5F2A clone---used an original in the studio last week and it sounded great, perfect for that situation. I had a '56 Deluxe that I brought in and ended up switching to the Princeton...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
    Lots of folks get a tweed champ and then decide that they want something bigger.
    Agreed. I really liked the swart but anything other than jamming on your own you would have to mic it. I decided on the Victoria 20112 instead. They say it is 15w but i would think that is pushing it. It is based on a 5e3. I LOVE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by BassmanTweed View Post
    Agreed. I really liked the swart but anything other than jamming on your own you would have to mic it. I decided on the Victoria 20112 instead. They say it is 15w but i would think that is pushing it. It is based on a 5e3. I LOVE IT.
    I think 12 watts clean{and that's bein' generous} for a 5E3.

JJ
    DAMN. I wish I could remember where I put them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bud has a NP Tweed Deluxe but still too loud for pinning in the house. I spoke with Mike Marsh www.marshamps.com and his kits look real nice. Nice guy! Check him out. Q: Besides the tone control whats the difference between the Tweed Champ and Princeton? Speaker size? Isn't the Champ .5W louder? Like that matters but we're gear heads right? My wife's buying it for my 40th in July so i have time to think. Thanks for all the advice! Long Live KEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    get the fuck out of here. Last year, i tried to sell my '74, one owner (I owned it since new), near mint, properly cared for (caps, 3 prong cord, etc). The grill cloth was immaculate. It had damn good NOS tubes in it.

My huge sin? I didn't save the original POS speaker. C'mon, I replaced it at least 25 years ago, when it died after only 5 years of playing it. It was just a used amp back then, who the fuck thought I would keep it for 32 years?

Think I could get maybe 8 bills for it? No. 7 hundred? No. 650? Uh-uhn. People with their 'blue books' were quoting 500 for museum quality mid-70 princeton reverbs. They made a shitload of them, it is not like they were rare, or so fragile that only a scant handful could miraculously survive this long.

1200. Yeah, right

Dan, if you were offered less than five you shoulda posted here.

Wait, you talking w/ or w/o reverb. Both are fine amps, but the regular princeton I don't think (hope) have hit the half G mark yet.

Don't get me wrong, with a couple of tweaks, it's a screamer, but most of the world doesn't know that.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Ive been watchin Kap'n and lately most decent Princetons Reverb or non Reverbs are pulling 500+ for early seventies on back. The PR's are insane a Drip edge BL SFPR like mine (not as nice either) fetched over a grand and a mint 65 PR got 2225.00!!!!!!!!!!!! Never thought Id see the day.
    Dan if you put yours up now I think you might be in for a pleasant surprise on what it could fetch.

one character
    Last edited by superduper; 07-22-2007 at 02:48 PM.

'tis too late, its gone.

I am constantly amazed at how much these hand-built amps go for. I could see $1800 for a REAL 57 tweed deluxe. Or paying an extra few hundred dollars for a rush build.

But, buying a kit and paying someone to build it could easily cut costs in half.

I know that there's something to be said for the sound of an original, what, with the nicely aged wood and components that aren't made the same way anymore, but is it REALLY that significant of a difference? Is there really something outside of being a collector's item that makes the 50 year old items sound twice as good? Sounding better, maybe, but TWICE as good? The logic just doesn't hold up to me.

I could also be acting quite naive, and I readily admit that.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

five times as good...try one sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by ES350 View Post
    five times as good...try one sometime.
    Apparently, I'll have to sometime if I can!!!

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I don't have much experience with this particular issue and wanted to make sure there wasn't a hype thing.

Honestly, like I said, I'm pretty naive about this stuff still.

Now, in comparison, how does this apply to a NEW $1800 pre-built clone vs. a $900 have-somone-build-for-you kit?

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    There is nothing like a well maintained original amp.
    They smell better, too. Nothing like the sound and smell of a cooking old amp.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Now, in comparison, how does this apply to a NEW $1800 pre-built clone vs. a $900 have-somone-build-for-you kit?
    You can get a 5f1 (which was his original request) Boutique amp for well under $1800 and a kit for WELL under $900.

Quote Originally Posted by BassmanTweed View Post
    You can get a 5f1 (which was his original request) Boutique amp for well under $1800 and a kit for WELL under $900.
    Yeah, I was responding to the Tweed Deluxe for $1800, though. Sorry for the confusion.

-Edmund Burke

one character

I hear ya. He told me he can keep parts costs down 'cause he buys in huge quantities. He also doesn't believe in jacking up the price for the builds so he keep his packages real price friendly. He uses all the right stuff. He's got a finished Tweed Champ and Tweed Princeton (not kits) on Ebay right now with and they look beautiful inside and out for $650 with the Jensen. Can't beat that. The wife says I still have to wait till my 40th in July. Boooooo!

one character