Thread: Ditched my HRDlx

Ditched my HRDlx

K, so I have gotten tired of constantly having to put my HR Dlx in the shop for warranty work, and the warranty runs out next month, so I took a trip to Memphis to Guitar Center and traded it in for a Blues Deville (I know, probably not that much better if any as far as quality, but I really like the sound of 4 10" speakers as opposed to the 12"). I went just to look at how much a Super Reverb was going to cost and to get an idea of how much they would allow me for trade in on the Hot Rod.

I played the Super, and I must say damn. Great sounding amp, I fell in love with it, will probably be getting one in the next few months.

Next was a used '59 Bassman Reissue, it didn't make a sound at all. The boy wanted to sell me that amp bad, but he couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Oh, and it was a little different than the reissues I've seen; it had the "death cap" and tilt back legs on it. It was also the same price as the Deville.

I guess my question is this: did I basically just get another 5 years of Fender paying for all the repairs, or is the quality of the Blues Deville amps any better than the Hot Rod series. I got 4 1/2 years out of my HRDlx before I started having to get it repaired.
    --The music is all around us. I can hear it. Can you?

Re: Ditched my HRDlx

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWaide View Post
    Next was a used '59 Bassman Reissue, it didn't make a sound at all. The boy wanted to sell me that amp bad, but he couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Oh, and it was a little different than the reissues I've seen; it had the "death cap" and tilt back legs on it.
    I think that Bassman reissues had a ground switch that wasn't connected to anything, but I don't think anything had a functioning "death cap" post 1980 or so. I think it violates all the electrical codes.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

How much did he want for the non-working Bassman RI?
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Do they have ground switches that aren't connected? None of the newer '59 Bassman LTD models i've seen have had ground switches...

Though I don't know about the earlier pre-LTD models.

This is a new one:

http://fender.com/products/prod_imag...0010v8_axl.jpg

Tommy.

Forum Member

K, so I have gotten tired of constantly having to put my HR Dlx in the shop for warranty work, and the warranty runs out next month, so I took a trip to Memphis to Guitar Center and traded it in for a Blues Deville (I know, probably not that much better if any as far as quality, but I really like the sound of 4 10" speakers as opposed to the 12"). I went just to look at how much a Super Reverb was going to cost and to get an idea of how much they would allow me for trade in on the Hot Rod.

I played the Super, and I must say damn. Great sounding amp, I fell in love with it, will probably be getting one in the next few months.

Next was a used '59 Bassman Reissue, it didn't make a sound at all. The boy wanted to sell me that amp bad, but he couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Oh, and it was a little different than the reissues I've seen; it had the "death cap" and tilt back legs on it. It was also the same price as the Deville.

I guess my question is this: did I basically just get another 5 years of Fender paying for all the repairs, or is the quality of the Blues Deville amps any better than the Hot Rod series. I got 4 1/2 years out of my HRDlx before I started having to get it repaired.
    Kevin,

I had a Blues Deluxe that eventually fried some traces. I fixed it and sold it to young kid that was just starting to play in bands. I dont know if Fender has ever addressed this issue. I also had a RI Bassman, and then found a used SFSR for real cheap. The Bassman's a great amp, but I didn't need two 4X10 amps, so I sold the Bassman. The Super Reverb is probably my favorite Fender amp. I dont use mine that much anymore (its just a bit too heavy for my back) but I do play it occasionally, even though it is overkill for the home only.

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    Do they have ground switches that aren't connected? None of the newer '59 Bassman LTD models i've seen have had ground switches...

Though I don't know about the earlier pre-LTD models.

This is a new one:

http://fender.com/products/prod_imag...0010v8_axl.jpg

Tommy.
    The Bassman I saw had the ground switch just to the left of the fuse cover. Now, it wasn't the 3 position switch like all the old amps had; it was just a two position. It was really a nice looking amp. The laquer had aged quite nicely and it had the amber/goldish tint to it. Beautiful amp, just made no noise whatsoever, not even a hum. All the tubes were glowing. The salesman/boy tried to figure out what was wrong, but had no idea what it was. He was the on-duty manager, too, so I imagine someone will get a nice little bite taken out of their posterior. It was around $80 more than what the Blues Deville was, but the Deville was brand new. I would have loved to get the Bassman, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Now the Super Reverb, on the other hand, was an awesome piece of machinery. Nice and loud. lol I play blues with a little Classic rock (actually, it's pretty much blues and Hendrix) and it would have been the best amp for me, but it was going to cost around $300 more than what I had to spend, so the Deville won out. But hey, if the guy does me as good on another trade in as he did with the HRDlx, I'll be getting the SRRI pretty soon, anyway. I'm already asking myself why I didn't just wait another 2 weeks and go ahead and get the Super. Oh well. Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    How much did he want for the non-working Bassman RI?
    Am I allowed to post that?

I was under the impression that the Blues series wasn't that far removed from the HR series? I would think there would be similar issues? I might be wrong...

How much did they give you for the HRDX?

Quote Originally Posted by General Specific View Post
    How much did they give you for the HRDX?
    Until I'm told by someone in the know that it's OK for me to post the actual dollar amounts, I will be as vague as possible, but leave a way for you to figure out. :-)

As for the trade in amount, the guy apparently wanted to make the deal no matter what. He told me what the amps were going for on eBay (something I already knew) and what he could give was $150 less. When I told him the exact amount of money I had to spend, he went and did some recalculating, and I ended up getting about $20 more than what the amps bring on eBay.

K, was that vague enough? :-)